Maui Forums
[Solved] - My 1st Maui REISUB. - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: [Solved] - My 1st Maui REISUB. (/showthread.php?tid=24001)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - spacepenguin - 9th October 2016

I just wanted to verifiy, as I have the same card. And my card is definitly NOT capable of using the newest driver! You are stuck with a 36...

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - kdemeoz - 9th October 2016

(9th October 2016, 13:43)spacepenguin Wrote: I just wanted to verifiy, as I have the same card. And my card is definitly NOT capable of using the newest driver! You are stuck with a 36...

Same card? Ha, what were the chances!!? Cool. Can i clarify; does your "36..." mean 36x.xx [eg, my current 367.44], as opposed to that one i'd been using up til this morning [370.28]? If i'm interpreting you correctly, then that's really encouraging news, & consistent with my rather delighted update now that since my "EDIT - UPDATE: OMZ" post there's still been 100% uptime on this driver with no KWin crashes. I think that might be is easily the longest continuous run [13 hrs] of "woohoo" since 5.8.0... & maybe also even including 5.7.5. 

Please, karma, leave me alone for a while now, would ya?

Thanks heaps for your potentially happy news!!

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - chatan - 9th October 2016

Think you are on the right track:  for your card,  the nvidia driver search (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us) says to use Version: 367.44 for Linux 64-bit.
Cheers

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - spacepenguin - 9th October 2016

(9th October 2016, 14:28)kdemeoz Wrote: Same card? Ha, what were the chances!!? Cool. Can i clarify; does your "36..." mean 36x.xx [eg, my current 367.44], as opposed to that one i'd been using up til this morning [370.28]? 

That's exactly what I tried to tell you Smile

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - kdemeoz - 10th October 2016

(9th October 2016, 16:35)chatan Wrote: Think you are on the right track:  for your card,  the nvidia driver search (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us) says to use Version: 367.44 for Linux 64-bit.
Cheers

Hi chatan -- thanks so much!! Now i just feel [even more] silly. It never occurred to me that i should do that check; i naively presumed that if the Maui Driver Manager was offering me the various options, then ipso facto all were compatible with my h/w otherwise why offer them? Silly me. Well at least now i have learnt yet another valuable new thing. 

(9th October 2016, 17:38)spacepenguin Wrote:
(9th October 2016, 14:28)kdemeoz Wrote: Same card? Ha, what were the chances!!? Cool. Can i clarify; does your "36..." mean 36x.xx [eg, my current 367.44], as opposed to that one i'd been using up til this morning [370.28]? 

That's exactly what I tried to tell you Smile

Ahhhhhh. Ahem. Well, it falls to me to have to point out to you the serious error in judgement you made. You entirely failed to take into account that you were earnestly trying to help a total dope, & she now feels rather a goose. My goosiness is not least coz it's beginning to dawn on me that i've been probably having all this crash-angst & disruptions, & incorrectly attributing them to Maui/Plasma 5.8.0, when arguably the whole time it's due to me injudiciously selecting that 370.28 driver when had i only had sufficient smarts to do that basic research as pointed out to me by chatan i'd have known to instead use the 367.44. Sigh. I don't like soccer, but when younger i used to play field hockey, & it appears that i have scored an own-goal. Or five.

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - spacepenguin - 10th October 2016

Glad it's solved for you. Didn't want you to feel goosy Smile - I'm into Ubuntu based distributions only since Netrunner 17, coming from Debian Sid (since y2k) - and therefore am drilled to do some research especially before updating the Nvidia driver... Never mind, learning by failing is hard sometimes but benefits in the end - and I had my blonde moments too, and still sometimes have Wink.

(10th October 2016, 4:41)spacepenguin Wrote: Glad it's solved for you. Didn't want you to feel goosy Smile - I'm into Ubuntu based distributions only since Netrunner 17, coming from Debian Sid (since y2k) - and therefore am drilled to do some research especially before updating the Nvidia driver... Never mind, learning by failing is hard sometimes but benefits in the end - and I had my blonde moments too, and still sometimes have  Wink.

Ta. Well clearly you have some cool Linux pedigree there, so i'm envious. I've only been in Linux since late 2013, & before that twas a lifetime in Windows, since ~1990. I cannot begin to adequately explain just how huge a breath of fresh air Linux has been for me, after the claustrophobia* of Windows. The downside of my late conversion is that there's just so much i still don't know, or am not yet good at, but the upsides are immense & wonderful. I know it's cliche, but the range of choice, & the nearly limitless customisability, of "Linux" won me over almost as soon as i belatedly discovered this multiverse. Initially i was bewildered about what distro & desktop environment would suit me, but via many live ISOs [= fun!] eventually found that *buntu-based distros somehow seemed to "gel" more with me. Then, when i specifically discovered KDE [Mint 13 --> 16 --> 17.x] i was in paradise (I've always been a details geek, & so the sheer minute granularity of KDE's options is catnip to my cat]. I really enjoyed my erstwhile Mint 17.3 KDE4, & seriously [naively] thought there couldn't be a better fit for me. Then only so recently i discovered Maui, & I appear to be thoroughly "hooked". If indeed that recent driver downgrade i made truly ends all those dozens of KWin crashes, then i will be one happy camper. Per some other Maui forum threads there's still some lingering issues with 5.8.0, but compared to the crashes they're just minor & i'm entirely willing to wait for future solutions. Another bonus i'm utterly enjoying with Maui so far, is the support & friendliness. Me likes!! Ta for your help  Big Grin

* corny as this will sound, for me, finding Linux was my The Matrix - Neo -- moment, when i discovered that all that time i had been tied down & locked into the machine, without even knowing it. OMZ, pulling out that last tube was scary but glorious!!

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - spacepenguin - 10th October 2016

(10th October 2016, 5:16)kdemeoz Wrote: * corny as this will sound, for me, finding Linux was my The Matrix - Neo -- moment, when i discovered that all that time i had been tied down & locked into the machine, without even knowing it. OMZ, pulling out that last tube was scary but glorious!!

Oh I can so totally understand you  Big Grin

RE: [Solved] - My 1st Maui REISUB. - kdemeoz - 11th October 2016

Still 100% KWin stability since downgrading that NVidia driver. That's unprecedented in my time with Maui, so i'm now marking this topic as Solved. Thanks to all those who helped.