Maui Forums
Kernel question - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Installation (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=83)
+--- Thread: Kernel question (/showthread.php?tid=24018)

Kernel question - LNXlady - 13th October 2016

Back when I was having black screen on boot, leszek helped me install theĀ 4.7.2 kernel and that has been working for me. Now the update manager is wanting to update linux-meta from 4.4.0.36.38 to 4.4.0.43.45. Since that is still older than what I am using, should I mark this to "ignore updates for this package"?

RE: Kernel question - d0pefish - 13th October 2016

(13th October 2016, 17:50)LNXlady Wrote: Back when I was having black screen on boot, leszek helped me install theĀ 4.7.2 kernel and that has been working for me. Now the update manager is wanting to update linux-meta from 4.4.0.36.38 to 4.4.0.43.45. Since that is still older than what I am using, should I mark this to "ignore updates for this package"?

YOu probably have both kernels installed, WHen you upgrade to a new kernel it does not auto delete the old kernel. I would continue to update both, you can also boot to the original kernel from the grub menu. That way if something goes wrong with the new kernel then you have the old one to fall back on.

RE: Kernel question - LNXlady - 13th October 2016

(13th October 2016, 18:09)d0pefish Wrote: YOu probably have both kernels installed, WHen you upgrade to a new kernel it does not auto delete the old kernel. I would continue to update both, you can also boot to the original kernel from the grub menu. That way if something goes wrong with the new kernel then you have the old one to fall back on.

So if I install the update, will it default to booting into that or will it still boot into the 4.7.2 kernel by default?

RE: Kernel question - d0pefish - 13th October 2016

Yes, it should boot to the newer kernel by default. I forget what key you hit in grub to see the boot menu, i think its f8, it will show the newest kernel as default at the top of the list and if you want to boot back to the old kernel you have to select it off the list but the default will be the 4.7 I've never installed a new kernel that didnt become the default after reboot, on netrunner 14 i went from 3.13 to 3.16 to 3.19 and then to 4.2 and each time after installing the new kernel it became the default.

RE: Kernel question - LNXlady - 13th October 2016

(13th October 2016, 18:36)d0pefish Wrote: Yes, it should boot to the newer kernel by default. I forget what key you hit in grub to see the boot menu, i think its f8, it will show the newest kernel as default at the top of the list and if you want to boot back to the old kernel you have to select it off the list but the default will be the 4.7 I've never installed a new kernel that didnt become the default after reboot, on netrunner 14 i went from 3.13 to 3.16 to 3.19 and then to 4.2 and each time after installing the new kernel it became the default.

Ok, thanks!