Maui Forums
[Closed] - KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: [Closed] - KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. (/showthread.php?tid=24027)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

[Closed] - KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 15th October 2016

As per my earlier https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24001&pid=39551#pid39551;

"...for me in 5.8.0 logouts are still no good compared to reboots, because sadly with a simple logout/in, KWallet breaks... it will not accept my password, hence all the programs relying on KWallet to supply their own passwords, fail. This is not a new fault, it's been this way since my 5.8.0 upgrade, but i forgot to..." ... create a dedicated thread for it, til now [coz the bug continues, & it's pretty annoying]. Everything is good again after a full reboot, but that is extremely disruptive. I would like KWallet to behave itself when i log out & in again, without having to instead reboot.

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - leszek - 15th October 2016

I guess maybe it isn't killed on logout (or closed).
That might be the root issue. I wonder just out of curiosity if you enter a tty terminal and login there (Ctrl+Alt+F1 for tty and Ctrl+Alt+F7 to go back on the graphical user interface) and execute a restart of the login manager (which restarts X basically and should close the wallet for good) helps.
You can restart it with the command sudo systemctl restart sddm

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 16th October 2016

Thanks, but still no good. Ctrl+Alt+F1 did not produce tty, just a blank screen, though Ctrl+Alt+F7 did bring me back to my graphical session ok. Then whilst in the session, in Konsole i ran sudo systemctl restart sddm. As expected this did take me back to a new login screen, BUT... after logging in to the clean new session, KWallet was STILL broken / closed, & still rejected my password when i began using pgms whose credentials are stored in KWallet [it shouldn't even pop-up to ask me for password, as it's supposed to get my password from the login process, just like successfully occurs after a full reboot].

After the sequence summarised above, i clicked the tray Network Manager icon, to activate my VPN. Instead of doing so, it threw up this, & rejected my password:

I then tried to access KWallet from the Applications Menu, but:

Bummer!!

PS -- I'll declare this, in case it's somehow relevant; my /home partition is encrypted, as per my original Ubiquity Installer setting [remember, we corresponded about this when i first began testing Maui, as your original installer in the ISO was faulty wrt encryption].

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 20th October 2016

I needed, within the last 30', to logout/in, but exasperatingly this turned into yet another full reboot when, once again, after the logout/in kwallet was once again broken. Clearly this is an intractable problem, given the 100% failure rate i'm experiencing with it, & the erstwhile lack of notified solutions. Questions:

1. Is there likely to be a solution during the remaining life of Maui 1?

2. Has this been explicitly tested in Maui 2, & is it 100% reliable therein?

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - AJSlye - 20th October 2016

Did you enable Kwallet under the under the Plasma Services kcm as well as in the kwallet kcm?
I do believe that this may be causing your problem with this not sticking.

Thanks for your reply. Answer to both questions = Yes. Here's the pics [are any of my settings in either, wrong-looking to you?]:

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - AJSlye - 20th October 2016

Shouldn't one of those "close when" selections be activated, otherwise the wallet would be open all the time.

Oh? At the risk of sounding stupid, is it a bad thing for wallet to stay open when i'm using my pc? To experiment, i've now activated the 3rd option; "Close when last application stops using it". 

Interestingly, after reading your latest reply, i checked the system tray, expecting to see wallet listed there [given it should have opened(???) last time i rebooted], & was most surprised to find it's not there [& i am still actively using my Vivaldi-Snapshot browser, & VPN, two of the pgms linked to my wallet]. Odd! 

Logically, having made that setting change now [which TBH i can't see how will help the main problem of this thread], i should now retest via a logout/in. However, given my pessimistic expectation that it won't help, & that therefore post log-in when i run two of my things linked to kwallet [my VPN, & my browser], they'll get rejected [again] & i'll have to suffer the further disruption of yet another full reboot. I'll have to do this test another time...

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 22nd October 2016

Well, as i expected, the recent kwallet setting change did nothing to fix this annoying bug.

Furthermore, since my last post the Plasma 5.8.2 upgrade has occurred, but very disappointingly i've found that i STILL cannot do a simple logout/in [due to the kwallet breakage that ensues], so still every time i need to do a quick logout/in [eg, after making some relatively trivial UI aesthetic change via Settings], i have to instead do the longer & more disruptive full reboot.

Pls, is there nothing that can be done to resolve this?

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - AJSlye - 22nd October 2016

Could it posibly be that you have the seesion set to use an empty session at login?

Login & Logout settings:
On Login you may choose one of three options on what should happen when you log into KDE:

Restore previous session:
If this option is checked, KDE will save your current session's state when you logout. KDE will restore your session on the next login, so you can continue to work with a desktop just like you left it.

Restore manually saved session:
Instead of restoring KDE to the state it was when you logged out last, it will be restored to a specific state that you have saved manually.

If this option is checked, the start menu offers an additional item Leave → Save Session.

Start with an empty session:
If you choose this option, KDE will never restore sessions that it has saved.