Maui Forums
[Closed] - KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: [Closed] - KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. (/showthread.php?tid=24027)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - starbuck - 29th October 2016

Why instead of writing walls of text what you might or might not have done as big mistake simply answer the question that I asked?

Again: Have you tried entering NO (aka "blank") password and just click continue?

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 29th October 2016

No.

It did not occur to me that blank would be accepted given that the actual password was rejected.

I'll try it now.

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 29th October 2016

As i'd expected, this was also unsuccessful. The same error-messages as i already provided earlier in this thread, here https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24027&pid=39777#pid39777, repeated [last time i entered my pswd, this time as you wanted i instead clicked Cancel, but the results were the same]. Once kwallet wouldn't open, Network Manager then threw an error, rejecting my attempt to connect to my VPN [again], with a message something like; "The necessary secrets were not supplied". At this point, as usual, i had no alternative but do another full reboot.

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - starbuck - 29th October 2016

So right after you updated from Mint 17.3, which was kde4 to Maui, which is Plasma5, that login problem occured, then I guess its due to incompatible encryption.

I dont know exactly how, but I would look for help in KDE forum how to delete all kwallet related settings and initialize a new kwallet.

To see if this would work, how about you first add a new user, then test login/logout with that user and see if that works?
If it does it looks like it should be possible to reset kwallet also for the existing user.

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 30th October 2016

Am having problems with 2nd User. Need to spend more time on it to resolve. Am only posting this "placeholder" update so you know i'm not ignoring your suggestion.

BTW, your "right after you updated from Mint 17.3 ... that login problem occurred" is not necessarily true. As per my initial post in this thread, i definitely had the logout/in - KWallet breaks problems once Maui's Plasma updated from 5.7.5 to 5.8.0, but i cannot remember if i ever tested it before that. So you might be right, it might have been broken immediately i replaced Mint, but the only version i do know for a fact was broken was 5.8.0+. 

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - davidedmundson - 31st October 2016

Sorry for not spotting the replies and commenting sooner.

> Are you implying that my decision to reuse my Mint's encrypted /home partition when i installed Maui into root, was bad practice & therefore contributing to my hassles now?

Not bad practice per-se, but it can lead to weird edge cases.

Absolutely worst case, nuclear option:
delete your ~/.local/share/kwalletd

or simply move it out the way.

But we can try and fix it first.
Can I ask you for some more data so we can get to the bottom of this:

After login when it's in it's broken state can you type in a command line:
killall kwalletd5
kwalletd5

then in a new tab type "kwalletmanager5" and try to unlock the wallet.

then paste me the result from both tabs.

Thanks

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 31st October 2016

Hi David & THANKS for getting back to me. I will do as you asked [a bit later today], but just wanted to clarify something for you first. My wallet is not broken/locked ALL the time, but ONLY if i logout then log back in. Every time i do a full boot up or reboot, it behaves impeccably. That's what has confused me, the fact that wallet is not broken all the time, but only in the specific scenario i explained.

Will paste the results you need, as soon as i can make time for it later today.

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 31st October 2016

Here's the results:

Tab1:
Code:
-@--Z97-HD3:~$ killall kwalletd5
-@--Z97-HD3:~$ kwalletd5
kwalletd5: Checking for pam module
Lacking a socket, pipe: 0, env:0
kwalletd5 started
Migration agent starting...
old wallets were already migrated
Migration agent stop.
<<this was a blank line with blinking cursor>>

Tab2:
Code:
-@--Z97-HD3:~$ kwalletmanager5
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
<<this was a blank line with blinking cursor>>

I was unable to "try to unlock the wallet" in Tab2 or elsewhere as i was never prompted.

Did you see the picture appended https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24027&pid=40071#pid40071 ?

Should i delete some or all of those "wallet" files [am i right that some of them are legacy KDE4]?

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - leszek - 31st October 2016

Removing those old kdewallet files from kde sc 4 won't change a thing as kwallet is reporting it already migrated those. So they are left untouched anyways.

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 1st November 2016

OK, thanks anyway leszek. Hopefully David will come back again soon to comment on my CLI results.