Maui Forums
[Closed] - KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: [Closed] - KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. (/showthread.php?tid=24027)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 4th November 2016

D a v i d... ?

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - davidedmundson - 4th November 2016

The output there was fine, up to a point.

> <<this was a blank line with blinking cursor>>

That's expected for a while, but was there was no further output on this tab when you clicked "Open..." in the wallet manager ?

If not, that that's weird.
It means we're seeing the bug in action, but it's not provided much information in narrowing that down.

If you want to help try and get to the button of this we can try getting more information, but it's sort of shooting in the dark hoping that we'll see something relevant.

We could also see if you create a new wallet (file new wallet) whether this also affected by the logout/login issue.
That would narrow it down to whether it's an issue that's only occuring with
1) your installation
2) your wallet file

You can run strace -e open kwalletd and send me the massive output that will generate when you open the wallet
You could run dbus-monitor when opening the wallet; though be careful with that one as it /could/ contain sensitive information (though only if the wallet opened.)

---
Though personally at this point I'd probably just move the original wallet file as described in my last comment.

KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 5th November 2016

Hi again David, & thank you. It was all getting too hard, so after reading your latest reply, i chose to deploy your earlier "nuclear option: delete your ~/.local/share/kwalletd". Being a coward, i didn't actually delete it, but renamed it so it would no longer be active, then observed in Dolphin as Plasma instantly created a new virgin version. I rebooted, logged in again, sequentially launched my chromium-based browsers & went to a page for which i need to sign-in, saw that these browsers were added to my new wallet, launched my VPN via Network Manager & ditto observed it added to wallet again. Now for the test; i logged out & in again.

Good news: now, finally, i could successfully reconnect to my VPN trouble-free. Before trying, i did observe that wallet was still open, ie, it had survived the logout/in.

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 13th December 2016

I've removed my previous "Solved" status, & frankly i'm a bit confused why i ever gave it. Notwithstanding my previous post, in fact my Tower's Maui has continued to misbehave when i logout/in, with symptoms previously described. In earlier corro there was some ambiguity over whether the root-cause might have been my original decision to migrate my Tower from Mint 17.3 KDE & only formatting its / partition, but reusing its separate encrypted /home partition [ie, the one created when i originally had installed Mint a few years ago].

Most recently however i have rebuilt my Lappy [was Mint 18 Xfce] as dual-boot Maui + a second Linux [still tba which one; this new partition currently sits empty]. To do this i wiped Lappy's SSD completely & created a new partition table, thus the subsequent Maui installation was utterly virginal ... there is no possibility of any prior config files causing any conflicts. I spelled out that info, to stress the importance of the following statement --> Lappy's Maui is just as hopeless as Tower's Maui at correctly logging out/in without breaking KWallet & thus being effectively unusable unless i do a full reboot.

In case anyone needs to know, Lappy's partitioning is:
Code:
XPS-L501X:~$ sudo blkid
/dev/sda5: UUID="d93c8091-900d-4095-a7f2-153f59879ebc" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="35155db8-05"
/dev/sda6: UUID="23766793-f560-427e-9f85-e36647cabab7" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="35155db8-06"
/dev/sda7: LABEL="Linux TBA" UUID="3e1d01df-3d70-4ba9-83e3-1c1faa87dbff" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="35155db8-07"
/dev/sda8: UUID="6ef580d3-168a-4cea-8ad5-4c5cd5b4e7ae" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="35155db8-08"
/dev/mapper/cryptswap1: UUID="5790aa7b-d4e4-4415-8351-ad729194b8f8" TYPE="swap"
/dev/mapper/veracrypt3: UUID="9d4ee9a9-88d5-4c2f-b7f2-306ca44b6251" TYPE="ext4"
ie, entire SSD is 1 Extended partition, with 4 Logical partitions [no separate /home, this time, but it is still encrypted from during installation]. /sda6 is Maui, /sd8 is shared DATA partition.

This is quite galling. Does anyone have any fresh ideas pls?

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 26th December 2016

Re-rebuilt Lappy within past couple of days, now single-boot Maui, fully clean installed [non-separate /home, but it [home] is again encrypted from during installation]... but Maui/Plasma5 is **STILL** unable to do a logout/in without breaking kwallet, thus necessitating a reboot. Tis sooooooo exasperating.    Dodgy

RE: KWallet breaks with a simple logout/in. - kdemeoz - 1st January 2017

Not that i thought it would fix this persistent kwallet bug, but to cure a raft of annoying other hassles caused (i suspect] by my original decision months ago to convert my Tower from Mint 17 KDE4 to Maui but reusing its encrypted /home partition, yesterday i rebuilt Tower with a complete SSD format & clean-install of Maui. I know that this won't solve the kwallet problem, but i also realise now that there seems to be no solution available for me, so for housekeeping reasons i'll now mark this thread Closed [though not Solved].