Maui Forums
Screen Tearing - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: Screen Tearing (/showthread.php?tid=24037)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Screen Tearing - rocky7x - 25th October 2016

HA, after throwing the towel in, I still made 1 effort to check the Arch wiki regarding bumblebee and it seems I found a solution ;-) They really have an EXCELLENT wiki. Seems that the intel related xorg.conf is interfering with bumblebee. So these are the steps that finally got my optirun glxgears running ;-)
1. install driver nvidia-367 from graphics ppa (long-lived branch) and do prime-select intel
2. install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia and primus from bumblebee/testing repo (add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/testing)
3. adapt /etc/modprobe.d/bumblebee.conf and /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf according to this article http://www.webupd8.org/2016/08/how-to-install-and-configure-bumblebee.html
4. check if PCI BusID in /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia is OK (check with lspci | egrep 'VGA|3D')
5. and the magic step that did it: move /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel to some other backup location :-) /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d must be empty
6. reboot
7. try optirun glxgears - for me WORKS and NO SCREEN TEARING ;-)
8. primusrun glxgears RUNS ALSO ;-)

RE: Screen Tearing - wonder - 27th October 2016

Hi,
Try with this, in your xorg.cong (I only quoted a part of your xorg.conf)

Code:
Section "Screen"
   Identifier     "nvidia"
   Device         "nvidia"
   Monitor        "Monitor0"
   Option         "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "on"
   Option         "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT"
   Option          "TearFree" "on"
EndSection

Before this change, your need a backup (if have any problem).

If this not resolved the issue, your tearing is with firefox? Or with all system?

Regards.

RE: Screen Tearing - rocky7x - 27th October 2016

(27th October 2016, 1:09)wonder Wrote: Hi,
Try with this, in your xorg.cong (I only quoted a part of your xorg.conf)

Code:
Section "Screen"
  Identifier     "nvidia"
  Device         "nvidia"
  Monitor        "Monitor0"
  Option         "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "on"
  Option         "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT"
  Option          "TearFree" "on"
EndSection

Before this change, your need a backup (if have any problem).

If this not resolved the issue, your tearing is with firefox? Or with all system?

Regards.

Hi wonder,

Unfortunately, I don't think this will work, since Nvidia driver does not have the option TearFree - it is only available for intel driver.

Cheers...

RE: Screen Tearing - sputnik_tr_02 - 27th October 2016

@wonder Hi I have tried that both for intel and nvidia it did not work unfortunately.

(27th October 2016, 10:32)sputnik_tr_02 Wrote: @wonder Hi I have tried that both for intel and nvidia it did not work unfortunately.

@sputnik_tr_02: please try those steps that I've documented above, it really works for me, even after fiddling with it... I've already tried the Unigine Valley demo with it and works wonderfully. The most important step was removing 20-intel from /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

@rocky7x I have installed bumblebee following tutorial you provided, yesterday I managed to run Dead Island and System Shock 2 with primusrun but Half Life games was not launching, but today working games also stopped working. I did update my system yesterday without really checking individual updates so I uninstalled and reinstalled bumblebee again but no luck. Games won't launch with neither optirun nor primusrun. Glx gears work with either of them tough. Also I don't have the file "20-intel from /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/" you mentioned. I attached screenshot of my x11 folder.

@sputnik_tr_02: Please paste the content of xorg.conf from your /etc/X11. The only difference I see is that I don't have xorg.conf at all. I use only defaults  Big Grin So maybe the xorg.conf from /etc/X11/ interferes with it somehow. I had similar behavior as you before (when I made it work but after reboot it stopped working), but I think it was all because of those bloody xorg.conf files. And Ubuntu 16.04 introduced the graphics-manager functionality which should automate the detection of graphics cards, but it does more harm than good. So please paste here the content of xorg.conf, so we see what you have in it and then maybe we conclude that you don't need it at all and then it'll all work  Wink

For Half-Life please read this article: https://zipizap.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/half-life-2-wine-and-optirun-bumblebee/

@rocky7x: Well I rebooted my pc not long ago and I no longer have xorg.conf file in x11 folder however problem still persist. I did some googling and found out that culprit might be a lot of things like wrong edition of some drivers and packages I may messed up my ppas, I added lots of ppas when I was trying to fix my tearing.

@sputnik_tr_02: I understand, but if you could try to remove all ppas except the graphics driver ppa and the bumblebee testing ppa, revert all packages back to normal maui or ubuntu versions, revert all configuration changes you did, de-install the nvidia driver and bumblbee completely (with purge) and install it again (version 367) from the graphics drivers ppa and then try the bumblebee ppa and those changes I mentioned, it might actually start working. I also did numerous things with my laptop, but then eventually reverted everything back and just did those steps I wrote and it worked... And your laptop is not so different from mine, so it actually should work... Just to mention, I don't have any kernel parameters set.

Btw: what error message do you get when trying for example optirun glxgears?

RE: Screen Tearing - sputnik_tr_02 - 28th October 2016

@rocky7x: The thing is that glxgears runs both with optirun and primusrun. But with primusrun it does not pass 60 FPS. I may try your suggestion, however fresh install could be a quicker solution for me  Smile

Here is my glxgears results for each command: