Maui Forums
Maui 2.0: network setup problem - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+--- Thread: Maui 2.0: network setup problem (/showthread.php?tid=24082)

Maui 2.0: network setup problem - owlman - 2nd November 2016

Hi all,

I just completed a clean install on a laptop and had the following issues with setting up the network (wi-fi only):

1. The calamares installer did not prompt for any network information. Is this the expected behaviour?

2. After installation and reboot I used NetworkManager to configure the wi-fi connection using DHCP. I managed to obtain a connection, however DNS resolution was broken. I now have it working after following the instructions at https://www.slightfuture.com/how-to/debian-dns-resolv. The specific issues I encountered were:
   * dns=dnsmasq was enabled in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf. I commented this out.
   * /etc/resolv.conf was a file, not a symlink to /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf. I ran "dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf" and enabled "Prepare /etc/resolv.conf for dynamic updates"

After this networking seems to be working correctly. DNS now pulls in the nameserver information from the DHCP client and resolves hostnames anyway :-)

The only other issue I have noticed is that there is no menu option in grub(?) to boot Windows. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Cheers,
John

RE: Maui 2.0: network setup problem - leszek - 2nd November 2016

Do you use UEFI ?
Can you boot Windows from the UEFI boot menu ?

Quote:After this networking seems to be working correctly. DNS now pulls in the nameserver information from the DHCP client and resolves hostnames anyway :-)
This is very strange as you only disabled the dns caching mechanism with dnsmasq which is there to increase performance.
As for the symlink or not it should not matter for network manager as it just simply uses that file after it obtained the dns address and writes to it.
Are you sure that there wasn't an error or misconfiguration with your router ?

RE: Maui 2.0: network setup problem - owlman - 2nd November 2016

Yes, I use UEFI. Running update-grub finds the Windows boot manager on the UEFI partition and adds a grub menu item for Windows. Which boots fine now. So would that indicate a problem with the installer?

OK, I uncommented the dns=dnsmasq line in NetworkManager.conf and the dns resolution still works fine. I was confused by the ubuntu section in the webpage I linked to. Not to mention that dnsmasq is launched with the --no-resolv option ("Don't read /etc/resolv.conf. Get upstream servers only from the command line or the dnsmasq configuration file"). Hmmm, "systemctl status NetworkManager" shows that dnsmasq is launched with some interesting options.

From the resolvconf documentation (/usr/share/doc/resolvconf/README.gz) the symlink would seem to be required to enable the autoconfiguration of networking by DHCP (and other packages) to work correctly. It is definitely not a problem with my router. Once I reconfigured the resolvconf package network manager worked perfectly... Interestingly, when I first experienced the problem I set up "Other DNS Servers" in Network Manager", and dns lookups still failed even after restarting the operating system.

I love autoconfiguration of networking when it works, but old-fashioned manual configuration was so much less confusing ;-)

I might have made life difficult for myself by not enabling the wi-fi in the live usb environment before launching the installer. I only noticed that mentioned (in a forum post?) after I had launched the installer. It makes sense to me that the installer would prompt for setup of a network connection if one was not already configured.

Thanks for your help. Tomorrow I'll try installing Maui into a VM and see if I can replicate the networking issue.

Cheers,
John

RE: Maui 2.0: network setup problem - neph00 - 11th November 2016

Hi,
I have the same problem with network on my Aspire5730zg. Can you tel me step by step what to do to fix this?
I dont understand how to "enabled "Prepare /etc/resolv.conf for dynamic updates""

RE: Maui 2.0: network setup problem - neph00 - 11th November 2016

Hi, again.

Everething is working. I juts ran "dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf" and internet is working now.
Thanks anyway.

RE: Maui 2.0: network setup problem - leszek - 11th November 2016

Don't forget the sudo at the beginning of the command Smile

We found the error and fixed it in the installer btw. Turns out overwriting /etc/resolv.conf isn't such a great idea with resolvconf.
We updarted the installer already in our testing repo.
If you for whatever reason want to reinstall don't forget to enable the testing maui repo and update calamares installer with synaptic force version before running the installer

RE: Maui 2.0: network setup problem - rlewis - 26th November 2016

I have a simular problem. When I plug in my pcmcia network card the available connections pop up, I select one and it connects but the browser says there is no connection. Re installed linux mint until the problem can be resolved by on of the programmers. I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to network config. I did look at the network settings for the connection and the way linux mint shows them vs. the way they are shown with the plasma desktop are different.

RE: Maui 2.0: network setup problem - leszek - 26th November 2016

This issue should be fixed with Maui 2.1 released today.

RE: Maui 2.0: network setup problem - kdemeoz - 27th November 2016

Given [as you doubtless recall; https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24065&pid=40666#pid40666 ] i reached the point of not being able to use the Maui2 ISO for my needs, if i were to proceed with my workaround plan for my Lappy of installing Maui1 then upgrading it to Maui2 via the repos & Update Manager, would that give me a viable reliable WiFi just as if i had used the 2.1 ISO?

EDIT:   Oh, i just saw http://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24129&pid=40678#pid40678, so i think the answer to my question is... YES.

RE: Maui 2.0: network setup problem - kdemeoz - 12th December 2016

Belated confirmation answer of my last question -- YES indeed. My Lappy conversion from Mint 18 Xfce, to dual-boot Maui + "Linux 2" [was going to be Mint 18 Xfce again, but now considering alternatives] via Maui-1 ISO & Ubiquity [for encrypted /home] thence upgrade to Maui-2.1, went well. I'm delighted to be able to say that so far Maui's WiFi reliability has been just wonderful... so much better than the frequent interruptions on Mint. Also, kudos to Maui's Network Manager UI -- again, it's a big improvement over what i'd been having to experience in Mint.

Now my Lappy sings -- thanks Maui !!  Big Grin