Maui Forums
Ubiquity Installer for Maui 2 - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Installation (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=83)
+--- Thread: Ubiquity Installer for Maui 2 (/showthread.php?tid=24132)

Pages: 1 2

Ubiquity Installer for Maui 2 - kdemeoz - 21st November 2016

Using Live cli, i did "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubiquity", then ran the old Ubiquity installer, with which i can select encryption. However...

Three times i tried this, & 3x Ubiquity crashed prior to completing the installation. Each time was with the option ticked to encrypt /home [maybe it might work without this, but that's useless coz then i might as well just use Calamares]. 2X was with /sda [=MBR] selected for bootloader location, & 1X was with /sda1 [= /] selected... still crashed. Net effect is that so far Maui2 cannot be clean-installed (if i want /home encrypted ...which i DO].

This was in a VB VM in my Maui2 [from Maui1] Tower, with which i was attempting a "dry run" prior to [possibly] converting my Lappy from single-boot Mint 18 Xfce, to dual-boot Mint18 + Maui2. Back when Tower still ran Mint 17.3 KDE4, i "test-drove" Maui1 via several VB  VMs, using Ubiquity, with encrypted /home, & bootloader location /sda1 [= /]; none of these hassles occurred then [that is, after the original Ubiquity bug was fixed that caused a black screen after boot, if /home was encrypted during installation].

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer - leszek - 21st November 2016

Quote:Using Live cli, i did "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubiquity", then ran the old Ubiquity installer, with which i can select encryption. However...

Three times i tried this, & 3x Ubiquity crashed prior to completing the installation.

Thats interesting as this is the exactly same installer from Maui 1 Tongue

Regarding the Calamares Installer we did fix all the problems that were found and there is a new installer available in the testing repo already for those ones who want to try out the fixed installer.

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer - kdemeoz - 23rd November 2016

I won't bother trying your fixed Calamares from the repos, thanks all the same, as i still wish to encrypt my /home partition [but only /home, i don't need or want full-disk encryption].

Given your comment about Ubiquity, i'm flummoxed. What should i do? As it stands now, i can't install Maui 2? --> As i was writing this post i made yet another attempt, in my VM, & it crashed again. Pls look at the screenshots... are you really sure it's the same Ubiquity as in Maui1 --> i do not remember Maui 1 telling me that it was installing Netrunner [but maybe i just didn't notice it at the time. All i do know is that i never had these installation crashes for Maui1].

Final pic.

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer - leszek - 23rd November 2016

Looks like this isn't the ubiquity from Maui 1 then that you have installed.
Can you take a look at the ubiquity versions in synaptic or with apt-cache policy.
You need to install the version from our repository instead the one from the ubuntu repository.
As to the slideshow. You need also to choose the Maui slideshow as package otherwise it might grab the first one found in this case an old netrunner one that seems to be still in the repo (I think it is a package before the transition happened from Netrunner -> Maui)

I will take a look in details in a bit and post the exact packages and versions to install if you don't find it on your own.

The version of ubiquity you need is
2.21.63.1+p16.04+git20160923.1840

Also make sure to have ubiquity-slideshow-maui installed.

When you say "installed", you mean into the Live-USB media, don't you? Remember that i am still trying to install Maui2 into my VM, but as Ubiquity crashed every time, so far nothing is installed in the VM. So i am assuming what you mean is to pull down from the repos into the live environment, once i've booted from the Maui2 ISO in the VM, the right Ubiquity & slideshow, then run them to proceed with the actual installation to the virtual hdd? The commands i already told you i used each time, sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubiquity, are just the ones you gave me way back when i first came to Maui1 & posted my initial topic that the installer shipped with the Maui1 ISO caused a black screen after reboot when the home partition was encrypted. You guided me back then to not use the ISO's installer, but the one you fixed in the repos. That's why i tried to do the same thing again now for Maui2 (I mean, download the installer from the repo], given that the Maui2 ISO only has Calamares.

"You need to install the version from our repository instead the one from the ubuntu repository" --> well, how do i do that pls, if the command i already used is wrong?

Yes install those in the live environment.

If you prefer apt-get install you have an =VERSIONNUMBER option. Otherwise you can use synaptic to force the version.

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer - kdemeoz - 24th November 2016

Thanks. I decided to tackle it this time using the ISO's Synaptic rather than CLI. In Synaptic i saw that indeed, the wrong version of the slideshow is present, ie, the Netrunner one (i mean no insult here, but really you guys should fix your Maui2 ISO; potential new users should not have to endure these confusing hassles -- they might not realise or care that they can get help in these fora, & simply walk away if the initial installation attempt goes bad].

After marking that wrong slideshow for removal, the right one for installation, & the right ubiquity version, i let Synaptic do its work, but part-way in it said that some packages could not be retrieved. Once it finished, i noted these error msgs in the terminal output view of Synaptic:
Code:
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu4) ...
W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/m/multipath-tools/kpartx_0.5.0+git1.656f8865-5ubuntu2.2_amd64.deb
 404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.149 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/m/multipath-tools/kpartx-boot_0.5.0+git1.656f8865-5ubuntu2.2_all.deb
 404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.149 80]

I went to close Synaptic but it warned me i'd lose some unapplied changes, so i clicked Apply again. The following is the pictorial log of what sequentially ensued:

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer - kdemeoz - 24th November 2016

Final two pics [spoiler alert -- this story still has an unhappy ending]:

It's pretty impossible for me to not conclude the persistent failure of Ubiquity to install Maui2 is directly related to the ongoing unavailability of those packages...