Maui Forums
a very strange thing - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Software & Applications (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: a very strange thing (/showthread.php?tid=24236)

Pages: 1 2

a very strange thing - MariusApo - 16th January 2017

i did installed a few days ago kernel 4.9.3 from the ubuntu ppa main and all went well with 2 errors,1 is the ndiswrraper (or how is called) and the second is the virtualbox,the second was no problem at all and i uninstall it as i don't use it,with the first...no idea what is for and what it does or if i can uninstall it and install something else in return,thing is that i have kde neon installed on my pc and the same kernel installed with no errors at all,but,today i am trying to install the last kernel from ubuntu,the version 4.10 rc4 and i met the most unusual thing of all times that i spent with linux so far,i do install it and i get same error as with the other 1,the ndiswrraper,but after installing and rebooting,there is no were to be found the 4.10 kernel,is like i never install it,i do run kde neon today on that kernel,4.10 rc4 and i have no problem at all,so,can any1 tell me what is goin on ? why does that kernel not actually installing and why is not notifying me that is not installing ? and what is all about the ndiswrraper error ? thanks

RE: a very strange thing - MariusApo - 17th January 2017

i've tryed again just about now and now i get an error with nvidia too,hmm,this is not gd as in neon all went perfect...and still no 4.10 kernel anywhere

RE: a very strange thing - leszek - 17th January 2017

It is normal that proprietary drivers or components that need to be compiled against a newer kernel will not support the newest kernel especially if it is an RC kernel.
If you test those kernels you need to know that those modules won't work then.

RE: a very strange thing - Pliny.D.Elder - 17th January 2017

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ukuu

This app will take care of your kernels for you.

Code:
sudo apt install --reinstall nvidia-xxx

Kinfo will tell you what nvidia-driver is installed.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/linus-torvalds-announces-the-sixth-rc-of-linux-kernel-4-9-only-two-more-to-go-510362.shtml

Code:
apt-cache search ndiswrapper
apt-cache show ndiswrapper

ik very well which nvidia driver i have installed,i can see very well in synaptic,in which i uninstall the packages i never used,or ever will,as the packages that are used by laptops with double graphic cards,things that i don't have,so i don't need,i did installed some new packages that i thought that are useful for the graphic card i use too,but i did that in neon too and nothing went wrong,so i wander,why in maui the ndiswrraper is causing problem at installing the new kernel,and i never used an 3rd party app for installing a new kernel,i just downloaded the kernel files manually and installed them manually,but those 2 cause problems only on maui distro and i did all the things i've done in neon too that went without a problem,so,where is the difference between maui and neon in those 2 packages ? i mean the nvidia packages and ndiswrraper...
i've read that page for the kernel rc,but i'm not using an rc kernel in 4.9 version,it is 4.9.3,no rc and the last in 4.9 version is actually 4.9.4 i believe,and the kernel i do have installed did installed and i am using it right now,but the 4.10 is not even showing as it was never installed,that is a real mistery to me how it is even possible,i believe that it should have a notification that the kernel was not installed cos of some error of some sord,but nothing,it just finishes and updates the grub,but when i reboot....nothing,no 4.10 kernel at all...

this is what ndiswrapper show on that command :

Package: ndiswrapper
Priority: optional
Section: universe/misc
Installed-Size: 75
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Original-Maintainer: Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1.59-6
Replaces: ndiswrapper-common (<< 1.59-4~), ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 (<< 1.59-4~)
Provides: ndiswrapper-common, ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14), perl
Recommends: ndiswrapper-dkms
Suggests: ndiswrapper-source
Breaks: ndiswrapper-common (<< 1.59-4~), ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 (<< 1.59-4~)
Filename: pool/universe/n/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper_1.59-6_amd64.deb
Size: 20100
MD5sum: 5609986dd5df8006a7af92e4bcbd6a81
SHA1: 650be44547d444044655c209207f82e9b5b6402d
SHA256: 173be89720f4aff0e964f512f5e1ae0202eb355e60d2221f587f587478a279c0
Description: Userspace utilities for the ndiswrapper Linux kernel module
Description-md5: c523cfe08b170aec01d252cbc44fddb9
Homepage: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu

I have nothing to add to my last comment.
You can't expect non vanilla kernel modules to compile against newer kernels.
They have to fail as they were never adapt to the newer ones.
Of course other distros won't show this behavior if they don't even ship those modules by default or they ship other versions.

so,for me to understand,it can work and compile ok with the 4.9 kernel,but is not going to do that with 4.10 ? and even tho is based on ubuntu and neon,maui is different than those in the most part of it ?
so,don'ttake it wrong,is just for me to understand,the core of maui is ubuntu + neon,sord of,but all the rest is different ? and that it may work actually in ubuntu 16.04 and on neon,it probably wont work in maui ?

RE: a very strange thing - AJSlye - 17th January 2017

Unless Nvidia updated their driver, which in Nvidia's case would constitute a new driver release, to the ABI of the newer 4.10 kernel, it will not work on any distribution.

Also, take note of the versions numbers of these Nvidia packages, not just the name of them. Ndiswrapper is just a wrapper for loading windows XP network device drivers that are not natively supported by the Linux kernel. In many cases this is not needed provided the correct proprietary firmware is installed to be loaded by the native kernel module (driver).

Could you please list the exact Nvidia driver version you used in both Maui and Neon?
Please include all numbers from the driver version, there would be compatibility differences between 375.20, 375.26, etc.
Could you also give us the networking chip you have to verify that ndiswrapper is even needed?

RE: a very strange thing - Pliny.D.Elder - 17th January 2017

(17th January 2017, 15:49)MariusApo Wrote: so,for me to understand,it can work and compile ok with the 4.9 kernel,but is not going to do that with 4.10 ? and even tho is based on ubuntu and neon,maui is different than those in the most part of it ?
so,don'ttake it wrong,is just for me to understand,the core of maui is ubuntu + neon,sord of,but all the rest is different ? and that it may work actually in ubuntu 16.04 and on neon,it probably wont work in maui ?

Kernel 4.10 is a release candidate. It is not a stable kernel. I would not be touching RC_Kernels unless you know exactly what your doing and what it is that you hope to gain from doing so.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/linus-torvalds-announces-first-rc-of-linux-kernel-4-10-as-christmas-present-511282.shtml

I have linux-image-4.9.4-040904-generic, nvidia-375 - NVIDIA binary driver - version 375.26, which are humming along without any problems.

dpkg -l | grep linux-image
apt-cache search "NVIDIA binary driver"

We do not recommend installing kernel versions which aren't provided in the repository for the reason that we cannot guarantee that they will work with the drivers we provide in the repo.

Quote:and even tho is based on ubuntu and neon,maui is different than those in the most part of it ?
We provide the same kernel as neon and ubuntu 16.04 does. We provide the same drivers aswell.
It behaves the same on that term.