Maui Forums
[Solved] - Tower's 1st [no, 3rd] Hard-Reset since clean-reinstall. - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+--- Thread: [Solved] - Tower's 1st [no, 3rd] Hard-Reset since clean-reinstall. (/showthread.php?tid=24237)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Tower's 1st [no, 3rd] Hard-Reset since clean-reinstall. - leszek - 1st March 2017

Quote:How do i fix this pls?

Is there any /etc/X11/xorg.conf file ? If yes remove it with root rights.
Also take a look at /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ that there is no config file forcing it to using nouveau.

RE: Tower's 1st [no, 3rd] Hard-Reset since clean-reinstall. - kdemeoz - 1st March 2017

(1st March 2017, 13:10)leszek Wrote:
Quote:How do i fix this pls?

Is there any /etc/X11/xorg.conf file ? If yes remove it with root rights.
Also take a look at /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ that there is no config file forcing it to using nouveau.

When i do ls in /etc/X11/ , all i see is:   app-defaults, cursors, default-display-manager, fonts, rgb.txt, xinit, xkb, Xreset, Xreset.d, Xresources, Xsession, Xsession.d, Xsessions.options, xsm.

When i do ls in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ ,  only this shows:   10-quirks.conf

RE: Tower's 1st [no, 3rd] Hard-Reset since clean-reinstall. - rocky7x - 1st March 2017

Also please check directory /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ - it should be empty, if it exists.

RE: Tower's 1st [no, 3rd] Hard-Reset since clean-reinstall. - kdemeoz - 1st March 2017

(1st March 2017, 13:25)rocky7x Wrote: Also please check directory /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ - it should be empty, if it exists.

Per my reply to leszek, this directory is absent... not just empty, but non-existent. Is that bad?

BTW, fyi, my grub continues to include the active line per Rocky's suggestion 12/2/17:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="atkdb.reset i8042.nomux quiet splash"

Ok?

I checked this grub again now just to make sure i was not still using nomodeset

RE: Tower's 1st [no, 3rd] Hard-Reset since clean-reinstall. - leszek - 1st March 2017

Quote:Per my reply to leszek, this directory is absent... not just empty, but non-existent. Is that bad?

Its an optional directory so not bad.
As for the issue itself can you show us the log for Xorg.0.log (in /var/log). If it really tries loading nouveau it needs it to be specified somewhere as usually the X-Server autodetects the graphics card and loads the appriopiate driver in this case intel.

(1st March 2017, 13:53)leszek Wrote:  can you show us the log for Xorg.0.log (in /var/log).

Pls remember i am accessing this thread on my Lappy, but it is my Tower with the fault. I am now looking at Xorg.0.log (in /var/log) on my Tower's monitor screen ,but it is a big file & maybe some of it scrolled off the top, i don't know. Reading thru the visible text onscreen, i cannot see "nouveau" anywhere... but the text is mostly unintelligible to me, so it would be much better if i could show it to you... but how? I don't know how to copy this file from Tower's tty, to eg a usb stick that i could then move over to Lappy. 

EDIT -- Aha, i found i can scroll down that file to reveal some more lines... & there are multiple references to trying to load nvidia & nouveau modules, also intel, but they all failed.

Can't you access your tower via network and ssh ?
Also when it comes to Xorg.0.log only the E: are interesting as they indicate errors (mostly at the end of the file)

(1st March 2017, 14:31)leszek Wrote: Can't you access your tower via network and ssh ?

I have no idea how to do that... is it possible to guide me pls?

(1st March 2017, 14:36)kdemeoz Wrote:
(1st March 2017, 14:31)leszek Wrote: Can't you access your tower via network and ssh ?

I have no idea how to do that... is it possible to guide me pls?

I found this. Is it correct?
Quote:First, make sure package openssh-server is installed on both of them. Then, fire up terminal and type:

ssh username@domain-name.local - if you are on the same network or

ssh username@local-ip - same as above