Maui Forums
[Closed] - KRsync, GRsync, or...? - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Software & Applications (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: [Closed] - KRsync, GRsync, or...? (/showthread.php?tid=24295)

[Closed] - KRsync, GRsync, or...? - kdemeoz - 28th February 2017

Hi

Today i learned of these utility pgms. Tried initially to get KRsync, so downloaded it from https://www.linux-apps.com/content/download.php?content=68586&id=1&tan=44619953. Pic after extraction:

However:
Code:
kdemeoz-VirtualBox:~/Private/Documents/temp/krsync-0.4.1.1$ sudo ./install_for_kde4.sh

Krsync 0.4 installer for KDE 4.X

The kommander package is required, but not yet installed.
I can it install for you. Proceed (y/n)?y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed
 kommander
0 to upgrade, 1 to newly install, 0 to remove and 1 not to upgrade.
Need to get 250 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,111 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 kommander amd64 4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1 [250 kB]
Fetched 250 kB in 2s (104 kB/s)    
Selecting previously unselected package kommander.
(Reading database ... 405876 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../kommander_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking kommander (4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu5) ...
Setting up kommander (4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu5) ...

Installing Krsync 0.4
install application...
install translations...
install icons...
install: failed to access '/usr/share/icons/default.kde4/16x16/apps': No such file or directory
install: failed to access '/usr/share/icons/default.kde4/22x22/apps': No such file or directory
install: failed to access '/usr/share/icons/default.kde4/32x32/apps': No such file or directory
install: failed to access '/usr/share/icons/default.kde4/48x48/apps': No such file or directory
install links...
done.

I presume that's because these are incompatible with Plasma5 [any known workarounds pls?], so then i tried GRsync:

Seems ok.

RE: KRsync, GRsync, or...? - leszek - 28th February 2017

Krsync seems to be installed. It just tried copying its icon to a wrong location. Do you have any issues with the app because of missing icons ?

RE: KRsync, GRsync, or...? - kdemeoz - 1st March 2017

(28th February 2017, 11:48)leszek Wrote: Krsync seems to be installed. It just tried copying its icon to a wrong location. Do you have any issues with the app because of missing icons ?

Sorry i forgot to add the final bit of info before. Yes it does seem to have installed, but it will not run. Two new entries appeared in the Application Menu - Utilities
  • Krsync [command is "kmdr-executor `kde4-config --prefix`/bin/krsync.kmdr"]
  • Krsync root-mode [command is kdesudo --comment="Please enter the root password for Krsync root mode" -c "kmdr-executor `kde4-config --prefix`/bin/krsync.kmdr"]
Root-mode does prompt for password, but thereafter nothing else occurs.
User-mode produces this error:

When i look in /bin/ with Dolphin, there is no file .krsync.*  . 

RE: KRsync, GRsync, or...? - leszek - 1st March 2017

Yeah it is searching that in a kde4libs path. And I guess that's not working therefore fails.
Can you take a look to where it installed the binary actually. Maybe you need to search for it if it isn't readable in the install script.

RE: KRsync, GRsync, or...? - kdemeoz - 3rd March 2017

(1st March 2017, 10:29)leszek Wrote: Yeah it is searching that in a kde4libs path. And I guess that's not working therefore fails.
Can you take a look to where it installed the binary actually. Maybe you need to search for it if it isn't readable in the install script.

Thanks. I can't follow up on your idea yet, until/unless i can make my Tower boot properly again, per separate topic. 

RE: KRsync, GRsync, or...? - kdemeoz - 8th March 2017

(1st March 2017, 10:29)leszek Wrote: ... Can you take a look to where it installed the binary actually. Maybe you need to search for it if it isn't readable in the install script.

I'm struggling to understand what you mean by "where it installed the binary". So far all i can say is that in /bin there's no presence of either "krsync" or "kmdr". I expect you actually mean something else, but i don't yet understand. 

However, i have now looked again at its website, & noticed something that i missed seeing before... it is "ancient". Now that i know that, it's simply not worth anyone's time to try troubleshooting this any further, given all the major KDE changes that occurred over the past 7 years:
Quote:Changelog: 

7 years ago
Version: 0.1 Alpha
- First public release

Version: 0.2 Alpha
- Add dry run mode
- Add profiles
- Add user defined options
- Add logfile option
- Add path changer

Version: 0.3 Alpha
- Add write shell script function
- Add user/root mode
- Add tool tips
- Add error messages
- Add super option

Version: 0.4 Beta
- Add local disc space check
- Add better error handling
- Add german translation
- Add install script

Version: 0.4 RC1
- Bug fix setglobal for old Kommander version
- Bug fix desktop links

Version: 0.4 RC2
- Add Italian translation
- Corrects spelling errors

Version: 0.4
- Fix root desktop link

Version 0.4.1
- Add log file rotation

Version 0.4.1.1
- Add KDE 4 support

I apologise for having wasted your time.