Maui Forums
Auto spell / Kwrite - Kate - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Software & Applications (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: Auto spell / Kwrite - Kate (/showthread.php?tid=24379)

Pages: 1 2

Auto spell / Kwrite - Kate - fanisatt - 17th April 2017

I thought that auto spell was not working good with kwrite or kate applications because, I could not see any red underline when I made spelling errors typing any text there but , I was wrong !!
I had to change the character font !!!!
Best regards !

RE: Auto spell / Kwrite - Kate - RealPTR - 18th May 2017

I have the same problem! And two questions:

1. Did you change the font just in Kate or in the System Settings?
2. Which font did you use eventually?

Cheers!

RE: Auto spell / Kwrite - Kate - fanisatt - 18th May 2017

(18th May 2017, 12:24)RealPTR Wrote: I have the same problem! And two questions:

Cheers!

Just in Kate and I use Serif !

RE: Auto spell / Kwrite - Kate - Raydog - 22nd May 2017

(18th May 2017, 17:41)fanisatt Wrote:
(18th May 2017, 12:24)RealPTR Wrote: I have the same problem! And two questions:

Cheers!

fanisatt, thanks for the information. Is there a way to fix Kate to work with other fonts?
Is this a known bug? 

Spell checking is a pretty basic function for any text oriented application. 

RE: Auto spell / Kwrite - Kate - fanisatt - 22nd May 2017

(22nd May 2017, 15:06)Raydog Wrote:
(18th May 2017, 17:41)fanisatt Wrote:

Cheers!

fanisatt, thanks for the information. Is there a way to fix Kate to work with other fonts?
Is this a known bug? 

Spell checking is a pretty basic function for any text oriented application. 
Your welcome !
I am sorry , I don't know , I am a simple user !
Cheers !

RE: Auto spell / Kwrite - Kate - leszek - 22nd May 2017

We'll take a look into it. There were issues in the past already and there is this open bug still for Kmail (though still mentions kate aswell)
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=376565

RE: Auto spell / Kwrite - Kate - leszek - 23rd May 2017

Update: Tested with Maui 17.03 and Kate 16.12 and it works like expected after I turned on automatic spell checking it underlines wrong written words.
Could it be that just automatic spell checking was turned off and changing the font turned it on ?
By default it is set to be turned off

RE: Auto spell / Kwrite - Kate - Raydog - 23rd May 2017

(23rd May 2017, 10:00)leszek Wrote: Update:
Could it be that just automatic spell checking was turned off and changing the font turned it on ?

Could be, spell checking works now with any font. It never occurred to me to check if it was turned off by default. Blush  

Thanks

RE: Auto spell / Kwrite - Kate - RealPTR - 1st June 2017

(23rd May 2017, 10:00)leszek Wrote: Update: Tested with Maui 17.03 and Kate 16.12 and it works like expected after I turned on automatic spell checking it underlines wrong written words.

I'm sure I tried turn on/ turn off trick, at least in the system settings. Where did you flip the switch? System settings or somewhere in Kate's settings?

On a side note, I had a a different but maybe related problem. I'm using "standard" US-English language settings, but I need a Polish keyboard.  And I missed special character letters (ć, ś, ą etc.) in some programs despite setting my keyboards to "Polish Programmer's keyboard" (standard solution for Polish). KDE Konsole displayed "?" instead of a special letter and Dolphin was unable to open e.g. PDF files with filenames containing special character letters. But LibreOffice and Kate was fine...
I suspected the usage of non-Unicode encoding. I fixed it, but I had to tweak language setting file using a text editor in ~/.config/plasma-locale-settings.sh changing  LANG=en_US to  LANG=en_US.utf8 and LANGUAGE=pl_PL to LANGUAGE=pl_PL.utf8 (*.utf8 had to be added manually).

KDE's language and locale settings are a mess since years :-(

RE: Auto spell / Kwrite - Kate - Raydog - 2nd June 2017

(1st June 2017, 15:17)RealPTR Wrote: I'm sure I tried turn on/ turn off trick, at least in the system settings. Where did you flip the switch? System settings or somewhere in Kate's settings?
If you want to set spell checking globally for Kate, open Kate:

In the Menubar: Settings>Configure Kate>Editing>Spellcheck and tick the box Automatic spell checking by default

If you want to toggle Spellchecking on and off you can use the shortcut Control+Shift+O.

Hope this helps. Smile