Maui Forums
Thunderbird 52 - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Software & Applications (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: Thunderbird 52 (/showthread.php?tid=24472)

Pages: 1 2

Thunderbird 52 - orn12 - 24th May 2017

Hi there,

First of I'd like to say been a fan of maui since it was netrunner (the kubuntu derived one) and netrunner rolling.

So far Maui has been my os of choice since I am first and foremost a devout KDE follower (the first iterations of KDE 5.x were a bit hard to follow).

Everything works fantastically (except after first install / was writeable, every other sub folder had the correct permissions but just changed the permission to / , non-recursively, and everything's fine and dandy).

One of the tools I really need is thunderbird (kmail looks to be dead in the water and Kube has a long way to go) and while Thunderbird 45 (from plasmazilla) works well, I am wondering when will plasmazilla have Thunderbird 52 as it fixes several critical security flaws still present in Thunderbird 45.

Thanks again and wonderful work guys.

RE: Thunderbird 52 - leszek - 24th May 2017

We will take a look into it. Eta for now is getting thunderbird 52 ready until the end of month.

RE: Thunderbird 52 - orn12 - 24th May 2017

(24th May 2017, 9:36)leszek Wrote: We will take a look into it. Eta for now is getting thunderbird 52 ready until the end of month.

Thank you for the confirmation

RE: Thunderbird 52 - leszek - 29th May 2017

Thunderbird 52 is now available in plasmazilla for Maui and all xenial based distros.

RE: Thunderbird 52 - kdemeoz - 29th May 2017

(29th May 2017, 12:30)leszek Wrote: Thunderbird 52 is now available in plasmazilla for Maui and all xenial based distros.

Hi, thanks, yes. I got the update an hour or two ago. It's kinda nice but also kinda frustrating. 
1. It broke Lightning again, so i had to install the new Lightning version myself. Not difficult, but not a smooth experience having to manually intervene, rather than the repo taking care of it as part of the update.
2. The previous TB correctly respected my Plasma desktop theming/colours, when "Default" Appearance was set. The new TB now ignores my personal settings, & just uses the drab standard boring GTK grey colours. 

Quote:1. It broke Lightning again, so i had to install the new Lightning version myself. Not difficult, but not a smooth experience having to manually intervene, rather than the repo taking care of it as part of the update.
Lightning is part of thunderbird now. So I would recommend removing the addon installed manually and using our package xul-ext-lightning. This assures no breakage as this package is built everytime we build a new thunderbird package. (This has been stated already here: https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24041)

Quote:2. The previous TB correctly respected my Plasma desktop theming/colours, when "Default" Appearance was set. The new TB now ignores my personal settings, & just uses the drab standard boring GTK grey colours.
Upstream changed theme handling again (in sync with the firefox 52 theme changes). Though in my tests I did not see any completely different/broken theme using the default theme we provide.

(29th May 2017, 12:52)leszek Wrote:
Quote:1. It broke Lightning again, so i had to install the new Lightning version myself. Not difficult, but not a smooth experience having to manually intervene, rather than the repo taking care of it as part of the update.
Lightning is part of thunderbird now. So I would recommend removing the addon installed manually and using our package xul-ext-lightning. This assures no breakage as this package is built everytime we build a new thunderbird package. (This has been stated already here: https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24041)

Yep, i know you posted about it before, & indeed i did install that package back then. Why didn't it work for me? All i can tell you is that after doing the new update today, TB launched without Lightning. The only way i could see to get my Calendar & Tasks back was to do what i told you. Having now read your reply, i removed Lightning from TB, closed TB, opened Synaptic, reinstalled package xul-ext-lightning, relaunched TB ... still no Lightning!!

What should i do now pls? Maybe remove TB entirely then reinstall it?

(29th May 2017, 12:52)leszek Wrote:
Quote:2. The previous TB correctly respected my Plasma desktop theming/colours, when "Default" Appearance was set. The new TB now ignores my personal settings, & just uses the drab standard boring GTK grey colours. 
Upstream changed theme handling again (in sync with the firefox 52 theme changes). Though in my tests I did not see any completely different/broken theme using the default theme we provide.

Well, it [TB] doesn't respect my Plasma theme here now. Interestingly i now discovered this cool Add-In, Theme Font & Size Changer, & i'm happy enough with what it's done for me. 

Quote:What should i do now pls? Maybe remove TB entirely then reinstall it?
Can you temporarily create a new thunderbird profile and see if it is shown there even when not manually installed and only available via package?
Execute the following to create and switch to a new profile
Code:
thunderbird --ProfileManager

Excellent idea. This test profile does show Lightning just fine.

Also, i have noticed this anomaly in my currently-troublesome "real" TB profile: despite me attempting a couple of hours ago to manually remove my manually-installed Lightning add-in, i can see now that it's only Disabled [ie, still present], & it now has NO "Remove" button. I'm currently suspecting that this is "jamming" the integrated package for Lightning, so i suspect the key to this will be to somehow eliminate that pesky add-in. However, there's no remove button, as i said...

You could try manually removing the extension from the hidden ~/.thunderbird profile folder.