Maui Forums
Maui 17.06 is here .... - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Installation (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=83)
+--- Thread: Maui 17.06 is here .... (/showthread.php?tid=24513)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Maui 17.06 is here .... - wonder - 10th July 2017

(10th July 2017, 4:42)kdemeoz Wrote:
(9th July 2017, 23:28)wonder Wrote: In my case, I think the same Smile

But first, its possible save my ppa's added manually?

Regards!

Hola wonder.

This pgm is wonderful [teehee]... Aptik.
Just one caution: When you create the destination folder to hold your Aptik backup, it must NOT contain ANY punctuation. Aptik interprets punctuation as a path-termination, hence it won't actually find your intended target folder for most of its sub-processes. Some work, but most fail, rendering use of Aptik prior to major system events like an OS change a frustrating failure... but if you know of this caution, then Aptik really is fab.

Oh, there is another caution: Here's a copy & paste of my own working notes from earlier this year... i learned the hard painful way:

Quote:Every time i need to RESTORE, be very very VERY careful. It's safe to blaze on ahead with the Downloaded Packages [ie, DEBs], & Launchpad PPAs, & it's *mostly* also ok for the Software Packages [but read the entire list very carefully... IF the Restoration is not to the SAME pc with the SAME hardware & the SAME version of the OS AND Desktop Environment, that is].

If those square-bracketed parameters above have not changed at all, then also all the other Aptik modules should be safe too. But, but, BUT... if important changes have occurred, DO NOT Restore any of those other modules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As i write, i am sleep-deprived & still occupied with the intense Tower recovery process... for the SECOND time in 36 hours. ~A week ago i had a major "hardware incident" which somehow lunched the Tower so that it froze & then refused to boot back to the login screen. After intense days & night of seeking workarounds i gave up & realised i had to reinstall Maui. That process commenced yesterday early arvo & went ok, but when i subsequently used Aptik for the Restores, i totally stuffed up & consequently stuffed my beautiful fresh new Maui so badly that it again would not boot [but not same cause as before].

My gross error was that i Restored "20170224 Towers Maui 2.1 Plasma5", which was Plasma 5.8.4, onto my newly reinstalled Tower's Maui 17.03 Plasma 5.9.3. It was a catastrophe; large swathes of older incompatible system config files replaced the necessary current versions of the new OS, & screwed Maui so comprehensively that it stopped working properly then & there, but then upon subsequent reboot attempts basically couldn't... it would not boot up. I had to start from scratch with another full reinstallation.

Learn from my errors, & then Aptik will be great for you. I now love this pgm, now that i understand how to [& not to] use it. 
Hi kdemeoz!!

Thanks for your reply and help!!
In this moment I update my system for test, but this week end, I go to made a fresh install with my tower and your info, for backup my ppa's added manually, its fantastic!!

Regards!

RE: Maui 17.06 is here .... - KDEVas - 11th July 2017

I had to completely re-install the system

RE: Maui 17.06 is here .... - Kurtbw - 11th July 2017

Decided to live on the wild side. Ran Update Manager, let it find what it wanted.  After authorizing it, let Update Manager do its thing.

When finished, I shut down completely.  Started from cold boot.

No issues.  Don't think I'll have any, either (knock wood). Caveat:  Previously, I had updated the kernel to 4.8.0.58.

RE: Maui 17.06 is here .... - kaktux - 17th July 2017

is there a minimum system requirement??

I got an (old but with battery lifetime you nowadays dream off Tongue) netbook i use as mobile office (mostly just browser and office suite - the most ressource hungry software i use probably is r)- Asus 1015ped - that currently still runs netrunner frontier - and am thinking about a fresh installation of maui 17.06

RE: Maui 17.06 is here .... - deck - 19th July 2017

Minimum system requirements: https://mauilinux.org/about/

CPU 1.6-GHz Intel Atom
RAM 1 GB
Disk Size 15 GB
Graphics Card Intel GMA 945
Video Memory 128 MB
(If you want to try Maui in VirtualBox, please make sure to allocate 1.5 GB RAM)

RE: Maui 17.06 is here .... - kaktux - 20th July 2017

(19th July 2017, 22:52)deck Wrote: Minimum system requirements: https://mauilinux.org/about/

CPU 1.6-GHz Intel Atom
RAM 1 GB
Disk Size 15 GB
Graphics Card Intel GMA 945
Video Memory 128 MB
(If you want to try Maui in VirtualBox, please make sure to allocate 1.5 GB RAM)

thx - wasnt sure that this was still accurate and updated with the versions as some things have changed (for instance smplayer as default media player - while the /about still shows the old)

RE: Maui 17.06 is here .... - kaktux - 20th July 2017

I am currently installing Maui 17.06 on my old Asus eee pc - and got some notes.
I have a dual boot - win7 and netrunner 14.02.

So with the new installation i replace/overwrite two partitions - /root and /home - which i did by the manual partition option.
But - after i did that and the graphic of the system partition is shown the partitions have the same name on the picture showing the before and the picture showing the after state.
Meaning: The partition Netrunner uses as root says: netrunner 14.02 in the before picture
But also says: netrunner 14.02 in the after picture - which is not really true as i am installing Maui over that Wink

Also i think in former installations (kubuntu, netrunner) the language/time zone/ keyboard was somehow automatically detected. In the current installation i had to choose all - from language, keyboard layout, to timezone.

Not a big thing and doesnt change the fact that Maui will replace Netrunner - but maybe you like having no flaws in your installation Wink

RE: Maui 17.06 is here .... - leszek - 20th July 2017

Quote:Also i think in former installations (kubuntu, netrunner) the language/time zone/ keyboard was somehow automatically detected. In the current installation i had to choose all - from language, keyboard layout, to timezone.

Yes this is a feature provided by ubiquity (the ubuntu installer) but not calamares (the new installer)