Maui Forums
Maui 17.06 has not fixed my longterm problems. - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: Maui 17.06 has not fixed my longterm problems. (/showthread.php?tid=24526)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Maui 17.06 has not fixed my longterm problems. - leszek - 12th July 2017

What you can try are these things here. Try them one by one not all at once please.

1. Remove the plasma cache (just in case): ~/.cache/plasma-svgelements-default* files need removal and relogin
2. Disable VSync in Compositor setting
3. Try Xrender instead of OpenGL
4. Force usage of modesetting driver. Create a file with root rights in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with the following contents
Quote:Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel"
Driver "modesetting"
Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
Option "Backlight" "intel_backlight"
EndSection
Then try rebooting. If you only get a black screen please login via tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and save the Xorg.0.log from /var/log and remove the created file above.

I hope one of those steps will make things work again for you with Maui.

RE: Maui 17.06 has not fixed my longterm problems. - fanisatt - 12th July 2017

(12th July 2017, 11:10)kdemeoz Wrote:
(12th July 2017, 10:15)fanisatt Wrote: @ kdemeoz
I understand your condition....
I am not an expert and I don't know how to help but , I think that we live a transition period in Linux !!
I think that there are problems in any kde5 distro.
Oh yes , I have also tried other distros.
Kaos ... very good , the KDE purity ... but Ι don't live in an angel society, I can't see the wine application...and many other applications I love and I use for years... So , it's not for me !! (I remember I tried a sudo update-grub in order to include a new OS in the boot sequence, (I had just installed it in an other disk), but....to my surprise nothing happened there....it was an unknown command for KaOs...)
Opensuse...the KDE giant....but I had to try very much to find some codecs to play videos and music...and generally I had to search here and there for instructions.... Sorry...!!
And the big surprise .... I tried the new Debian 9 !!! The master of stability !!!!
But ... the master was freezing continuously because the Nouveau drivers could not work well with my Nvidia GT-710 ... and I tried a lot...but nothing... The only solution for me to work was to install the nvidia drivers ... but this is not good for a Debian system and any Debian based system. (Same problem I had with Netrunner...)
Mint...it's generaly good !!
But MAUI is better....!!!
Best Regards !!

Teehee, yes, we do have a lot of choice, & no nothing is perfect... but this longterm KWin instability has been a growing irritant to me ever since i moved on from Mint 17.3 KDE4 & began trying Plasma5 distros. I concede that for any user who does not use the KDE DE quite as intensely as i do [regarding all the bells & whistles], then they might never experience these KWin crashes. That, however, does not help me, as i do use it this way, & need my OS to cooperate with me. As i wrote before, until i decided to test some non-Ubuntu-based Plasma5 distros, i had falsely assumed that every distro using a Plasma5 DE would suffer the same problem. Now that i've discovered that's untrue, it completely changes my likely future distro trajectory.

Maui is good, a really really good distro. I loved it from the moment i discovered it last year. I've told many people about it, & i know that several changed to it because of that. I have nothing but admiration for this project, the people running it, & the small but friendly & helpful community here. But... this KWin thing...   Confused
I understand... I hope that as time passes and we report any bugs-problems, these will be corrected by the Linux experts! Have a nice day !

RE: Maui 17.06 has not fixed my longterm problems. - kdemeoz - 12th July 2017

(12th July 2017, 11:11)leszek Wrote: What you can try are these things here. Try them one by one not all at once please.

1. Remove the plasma cache (just in case): ~/.cache/plasma-svgelements-default* files need removal and relogin
4. Force usage of modesetting driver. Create a file with root rights in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with the following contents

Quote:Section "Device"
   Identifier "Intel"
   Driver "modesetting"
   Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
   Option "Backlight" "intel_backlight"
EndSection
Then try rebooting. If you only get a black screen please login via tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and save the Xorg.0.log from /var/log and remove the created file above.

Many thanks for this.

Re #1, your instruction implies multiple files, but i seem only to have one. In my pic, is the selected file the only one to delete?

Re #2, note that in KaOS & openSUSE Tumbleweed that setting is still Enabled, yet they [as i said before] do not get any of these KWin crashes. However i will test this, tomorrow, if #1 does not help. 

RE: Maui 17.06 has not fixed my longterm problems. - leszek - 12th July 2017

As for #1 you only have multiple files if you played around with different plasma themes.

RE: Maui 17.06 has not fixed my longterm problems. - kdemeoz - 13th July 2017

(12th July 2017, 11:11)leszek Wrote: What you can try are these things here. Try them one by one not all at once please.

4. Force usage of modesetting driver. Create a file with root rights in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with the following contents <<snip>> then try rebooting. If you only get a black screen please login via tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and save the Xorg.0.log from /var/log and remove the created file above.

1. Did it, logged out/in, retested... KWin crashed.
  2. Did it, logged out/in, retested... KWin crashed.
  3. Did it, logged out/in, retested... KWin did NOT crash... but [per previous posts of mine in other threads] the price to pay for this new stability is unacceptable [loss of wobbly windows, desktop cube, magic lantern, desktop transition effects...]. An old cliche analogy is: do i choose to give away my first child or my second child?
  4. Did it, rebooted ok, retested... KWin crashed.
So, #3 seems to indicate that using OpenGL [2 or 3.1] for compositing is associated with these chronic KWin crashes. How can we discover if this is mere correlation, or instead is actual causation? And pls remember, we know now that my hardware is not a factor... thus i presume that this is purely OS-software related... & hence should be theoretically curable... as openSUSE & KaOS seem to have managed.

RE: Maui 17.06 has not fixed my longterm problems. - leszek - 13th July 2017

We now know that it most probably is something related to the driver provided by Mesa even.

One thing I want you to try is #4 but with a different contents of the file (using a different driver basically)
Code:
Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option     "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
EndSection

I am curious if this will fix the issue for you.

Thanks. Sorry to have to say, but that also did not solve the problem (identical crashes from my test]. To double-check with you, i simply replaced all the earlier text in that new file with your recent text; that's what you wanted?

Did you restart Xorg after those changes? A relogin is sometimes not enough. (as it does not restart Xorg)
So go to a tty(ctrl+alt+f1) login and restart xorg with
Code:
systemctl restart sddm

(13th July 2017, 16:46)leszek Wrote: Did you restart Xorg after those changes? A relogin is sometimes not enough. (as it does not restart Xorg)
So go to a tty(ctrl+alt+f1) login and restart xorg with
Code:
systemctl restart sddm

No no not merely logged out, i specifically rebooted... like you told me (I'm talking about #4 here, & #4 x 2]..

Hmm... ok very very strange. So we tried two different drivers and they have the same issue. Interestingly I cannot reproduce the issue here though it's an Intel HD3000 (Sandy Bridge) so using the Intel driver or modesetting/gallium driver runs without any issue.

I wonder what combination of xserver kernel and Mesa version you are using on opensuse which works just fine on that machine.