Maui Forums
Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Talk (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=80)
+--- Thread: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users (/showthread.php?tid=24650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - smoreau - 19th November 2017

(17th November 2017, 17:15)leszek Wrote: Netrunner is defacto the same as Maui but based on Debian.

Hello Leszek,

Taking into account your project to move to a debian base distribution, I checked a Netrunner installation on separate partitions of my tower. What I can say is that the installation process using Calamares is as good as maui.
I had to modify the sddm script to obtain a azerty keyboard at login.
I added the testing repository of debian and the netrunner backport. All update have been installed wihtout problems.
As expected a lot of packages are missing in comparison to maui, but main tools are here.
Two main difficulties :
First I cannot update firefox to the 56 version.
Second, all attempts I do to install Digikam failed.
I think that Netrunner will have to be improve to reach the level of the Maui distribution, its stability and ease of setting.

That is a sad news if you really stop Maui development.
I think to numerous friends of mine we enjoy every day the Maui system i set up on their machines
SM
Sad

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - leszek - 19th November 2017

Quote:First I cannot update firefox to the 56 version.

We decided to ship only ESR versions as they tend to be less problematic when it comes to updates.

Quote:Second, all attempts I do to install Digikam failed.

A known problem. Digikam packages seem to be not compatible with one of our packages. We will investigate and come up with a solution. Have you tried looking if there are multiple versions from different repos available? At least one version should be able to install.

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - wonder - 19th November 2017

What are difference betweb Core versión 17.01 and 17.10 version?

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - leszek - 19th November 2017

Core is a minimalistic distro without most apps preinstalled.
The normal version comes preinstalled with the usual apps needed by most people.

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - smoreau - 19th November 2017

(17th November 2017, 18:04)jriddell Wrote: If you would like more Maui I recommend KDE neon, the project upon which Maui is based.  It builds the latest KDE software as oon as its released and is a KDE project so you can get help in all the same places as KDE apps would anyway without any separation between distributor and author.

https://neon.kde.org/

Jonathan, KDE neon

Hello Jonathan,

That's an idea, but which one to choose to be close to Maui. There are very few pre-installed applications in KDE Neon, that's will be a lot of work to adjust, to coordinate, the links between essential appilcations ?
That's was the job that Maui executed perfectly. Perhaps by adding Neon mirrors over maui will it be possible to increase the life time of maui ?
SM
Undecided

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - rocky7x - 19th November 2017

(19th November 2017, 17:47)smoreau Wrote:
(17th November 2017, 17:15)leszek Wrote: Netrunner is defacto the same as Maui but based on Debian.

Two main difficulties :

Hi smoreau,

When you dig into Netrunner Debian a bit, you'll find out the beauty of 3 main Debian releases: stable, testing and unstable. In case of Firefox 56 (even 57 in this case), it can be installed from the Unstable repository, but without the plasmazilla patches. Debian has an excellent documentation about everything, so if you jump on Netrunner, it will be your best friend Smile

(19th November 2017, 19:57)rocky7x Wrote:
(19th November 2017, 17:47)smoreau Wrote:

Two main difficulties :

Hi smoreau,

When you dig into Netrunner Debian a bit, you'll find out the beauty of 3 main Debian releases: stable, testing and unstable. In case of Firefox 56 (even 57 in this case), it can be installed from the Unstable repository, but without the plasmazilla patches. Debian has an excellent documentation about everything, so if you jump on Netrunner, it will be your best friend Smile

Thanks Rocky, how I do to set the unstable  repo ? I am now a little familiar with ubuntu, but i am a bit afraid by the debian world.
Many thanks to you.
SM

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - rocky7x - 19th November 2017

Hi smoreau,

There is an excellent article about Debian releases and how to do the apt pinning to one of them, but install packages from other ones.

http://rabexc.org/posts/apt-config

When you do this and install the Netrunner backports, which depend on Testing, I would recommend NOT to run a complete upgrade of the system, because you are indeed on the testing release and things might break. So I tend to keep the packages from the Debian snapshot that was tested enough by the Netrunner guys and just install the necessary security packages and stuff I want to have upgraded, but never a complete upgrade to last testing status as I had bad experience with that in the past - I tend to adhere to snapshot-to-snapshot upgrades as Netrunner releases are released and in the meantime don't touch a working system Smile Of course except for application upgrades like Libre office, Firefox etc. From this perspective, Debian Testing is a more bleeding edge distro than Ubuntu LTS so you have to be more careful Wink

(19th November 2017, 20:30)rocky7x Wrote: From this perspective, Debian Testing is a more bleeding edge distro than Ubuntu LTS so you have to be more careful Wink

Thanks again for the advice, that is another reason to worry about the discontinuation of Maui.
SM
Sad

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - rocky7x - 20th November 2017

I think I will prefer the KDE Neon in this regard, since it's basically the same system as Maui (Maui is a modified Neon) and since I got the link to the GitHub of the Maui modifications from leszek in my other post, I think I will just go the way of installing Neon and applying the modifications they did to get Maui (probably not all of them, I don't care about visuals, I just want the apps and the system configs they did, since that was a perfect combo). Netrunner on Debian is (just my personal opinion) not so friendly to beginners as Maui was and so far I had to invest more time into administering the system than in case of Maui (where it was virtually zero administration).