Maui Forums
Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Talk (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=80)
+--- Thread: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users (/showthread.php?tid=24650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - smoreau - 12th December 2017

(12th December 2017, 18:31)Fargo Wrote: Having enjoyed maui so much, I too will certainly look at Neon LTS.  I don't know what Kamoso is, but otherwise my install would have all the same programs as you.  I would also try to find a good remaster program so I could use my custom Neon install for others as well.

Kamoso (and Cheese) are applications for webcam and mainly be useful on laptop.

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - rocky7x - 12th December 2017

Guys, I don't think Neon will ever have any apps in it. It is intended to be a barebones system with only Plasma installed and nothing else. You can consider it to be a standard Ubuntu LTS with no apps installed and with a special repository for Plasma software. So once installed, you have to add all the needed apps either from the Ubuntu repositories or from the Neon Plasma repo, depending on whether it is a KDE or non-KDE app. So you can design the system exactly to your specific use scenario.

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - wonder - 12th December 2017

(12th December 2017, 20:35)rocky7x Wrote: Guys, I don't think Neon will ever have any apps in it. It is intended to be a barebones system with only Plasma installed and nothing else. You can consider it to be a standard Ubuntu LTS with no apps installed and with a special repository for Plasma software. So once installed, you have to add all the needed apps either from the Ubuntu repositories or from the Neon Plasma repo, depending on whether it is a KDE or non-KDE app. So you can design the system exactly to your specific use scenario.

Yes, and I would add that, also, I notice it slower and less stable ...

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - kdemeoz - 12th December 2017

I had a brief, intense, passionate but ultimately disastrous 3-day/night affair with KDE Neon on my Lappy in late November. It was after i decided to move away from openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE, & before i decided to use Manjaro KDE.  

I replaced TW with Neon on Lappy, after first extensively testing Neon in a VM on my Tower. Well, i'm afraid that Neon on Lappy was... horrible!!! Ugh. It behaved much better in the VM than in reality. Unlike in the VM, i found it really bad to install in Lappy's SSD due to: constant crashes of the Installer; failure to work with my TW encrypted /home partition; chronic instability of KWin [very very frequent crashes, even just from simple actions like moving windows]; inability to either logout or switch user [in either case it instead killed plasmashell entirely & jumped to TTY, then refused to let me restart plasmashell, so i always had to reboot]; incompatibility with Firejail & KeePassXC... The final straw came when i was moving my panel from the bottom to the side, & KWin entirely broke... nothing i tried could fix it, even deleting .kde & kdeglobals then rebooting did not help, even then reinstalling Neon in / did not help. 

Yes, obviously i could have chosen to persist in diagnosing where the problem lingered, probably a bad file in .local or similar. However Neon had been so bloody unreliable that i decided even if i fixed it then, it was likely to soon break again & just be an ongoing stress. I decided to cut the pain & move on. 

The painful irony of this miserable brief experience was that i had worked day & night to configure Neon asap to my preferences wrt installing & configuring all the many many pgms i need, & of course restoring all my data [given that ultimately i had to delete my previous /home due to Neon not working with it]. A lot of intense time & effort... wasted completely.

KDE Neon had seemed so potentially promising in the VM, but was so horrible in reality. It was so disappointing after the massive success that Maui had been. It's still such sad news about Maui...

Manjaro KDE is running sweetly now in both Tower & Lappy.

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - rocky7x - 13th December 2017

It is indeed very strange that you had such a diametrically different experience with Maui and Neon, since Maui is basically the same system as Neon and takes over the same Plasma packages, but is a bit reworked when it comes to visuals, installer etc. From the Plasma and Ubuntu perspective, it uses the same packages. Which Neon release have you used? Standard User or the LTS one? Or maybe the Developer one?

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - kdemeoz - 13th December 2017

neon-useredition-20171116-1018-amd64.iso

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - wonder - 13th December 2017

(13th December 2017, 1:01)rocky7x Wrote: It is indeed very strange that you had such a diametrically different experience with Maui and Neon...
And I also.
Very different experience with Maui and Neon...Neon for me...horrible and Maui fantastic...strange, Maui based on Neon, but very different...

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - Pfiff - 17th December 2017

I can confirm this. I tried neon several times and it has always been horrible. That' swhy I'm checking now netrunnner. But netrunner is dangerous. Fine but dangerous.

Ciao!

Dieter

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - kdemeoz - 18th December 2017

(17th December 2017, 19:10)Pfiff Wrote: I can confirm this. I tried neon several times and it has always been horrible. That' swhy I'm checking now netrunnner. But netrunner is dangerous. Fine but dangerous.

Ciao!

Dieter

The "good" thing about KDE Neon, for those of us who've made a serious attempt to adopt [or even just test] it as a potentially realistic replacement OS candidate, is that it reinforces to we Maui'ers [present & past] just what a nice job the Maui Devs did in "harnessing" Neon to behave as the excellent distro we came to love & enjoy. Of course, that only increases the sadness-factor now...

Fwiw, my post-Maui Manjaro KDE continues to impress & please me...

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - MoonRise - 20th December 2017

(18th December 2017, 0:08)kdemeoz Wrote:
(17th December 2017, 19:10)Pfiff Wrote: I can confirm this. I tried neon several times and it has always been horrible. That' swhy I'm checking now netrunnner. But netrunner is dangerous. Fine but dangerous.

Ciao!

Dieter

The "good" thing about KDE Neon, for those of us who've made a serious attempt to adopt [or even just test] it as a potentially realistic replacement OS candidate, is that it reinforces to we Maui'ers [present & past] just what a nice job the Maui Devs did in "harnessing" Neon to behave as the excellent distro we came to love & enjoy. Of course, that only increases the sadness-factor [i]now...
[/i]

Fwiw, my post-Maui Manjaro KDE continues to impress & please me...
  +1000   .... That it does.