Maui Forums
Maui update program 2 wiped out plasma 5 and all programs - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: Maui update program 2 wiped out plasma 5 and all programs (/showthread.php?tid=24704)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Maui update program 2 wiped out plasma 5 and all programs - leszek - 30th January 2018

Synaptic is a packagemanager to install packages in contrast to mintupdate which is an updater.
So what is your concrete problem now?
I can only help you if I know what is wrong.

RE: Maui update program 2 wiped out plasma 5 and all programs - ali_deda - 30th January 2018

I have no more problems wiping out Maui. The problem arose when the update wiped out the plasma and programs. apt install maui-desktop has returned to Maui but it is not correct, I had maui 2 plasma 5.10.x and now the system was plasma 5.11.3. The system became extremely slow and when I started the kinfocenter he did not have his own modules and other programs dont work. The conclusion is that this return was unsuccessful and wrongly returned the version of the plasma. Once plasma is broken, it can not return to its original state. Developers manipulate the repositories so that when I watched the source list I was referenced by backport and maui 2. I looked at the Maui 17.3 repository to do the update with the Maui 2 on Maui 17.3 and there are 2-1 repositories. The question is how did I have the Maui 2 with plasma 5.10.x, and when I tried to recover Maui plasma it was 5.11.3. The conclusion is that this is a manipulation with repositories and a poor update process has led to a disaster. Generally very badly composed distro, I will never put on my machine again. Before Maui, you had some other project that you quit, and somewhere I read that Maui got out and only Netrunner remains.
Greeting Smile

RE: Maui update program 2 wiped out plasma 5 and all programs - leszek - 30th January 2018

Quote:The question is how did I have the Maui 2 with plasma 5.10.x, and when I tried to recover Maui plasma it was 5.11.3.

You might have installed Maui with some older Plasma version and then upgraded via Backports to Version 5.10. But when you have backports activated it will keep on rolling and install newer plasma, kde applications and kde frameworks version.
This is clearly explained on our homepage: https://mauilinux.org/part-rolling-via-backports/

Quote:The conclusion is that this is a manipulation with repositories and a poor update process has led to a disaster.
Like I said it is intended that backports keeps on rolling. Without any Plasma 5.10 packages in backports you cannot return to this version.
As Maui 2 is very old it did not even come with Plasma 5.10 but some older version. So there is no way to return to that.

RE: Maui update program 2 wiped out plasma 5 and all programs - ali_deda - 30th January 2018

(30th January 2018, 11:34)leszek Wrote:
Quote:The question is how did I have the Maui 2 with plasma 5.10.x, and when I tried to recover Maui plasma it was 5.11.3.

You might have installed Maui with some older Plasma version and then upgraded via Backports to Version 5.10. But when you have backports activated it will keep on rolling and install newer plasma, kde applications and kde frameworks version.
This is clearly explained on our homepage: https://mauilinux.org/part-rolling-via-backports/
Sorry, but what you writing to me does not make any sense. If I regularly update and I have a plasma 5.10.x and the sources list is the same as then the plasma did not come through the update to version 5.11.3. The same repositories, the same sources list, same backports repo and when I start apt install maui-desktop I get a magical wonders from the same backport repositories plasma 5.11.3. That should have happened through the normal update if it's RR distro Huh 

Greeting and all the best wishes Smile

Then maybe there was a conflict which held back the upgrade to plasma 5.11 before. It is hard to tell in hindsight.

RE: Maui update program 2 wiped out plasma 5 and all programs - ali_deda - 1st February 2018

Fresh example of Kali RR and plasma 5. Something is not ok with Debian-Ubuntu distributions and plasma5. Kali and the biggest nonsense I've seen in my life, Dolphin file manager does not work in root mode, and Kali works in root mode. An attempt to uninstall Dolfin leads to pulling it behind and uninstalling plasma5. Here's the picture

[Image: Selection_009.jpg]

RE: Maui update program 2 wiped out plasma 5 and all programs - leszek - 1st February 2018

Quote:Dolphin file manager does not work in root mode
This is done for a particular reason as it is a security thread.
Graphical applications should not run as root as they open a whole door full of potential bugs and features that can be used for exploiting your installed system with root rights.
Instead KDE decided to follow the more sane procedure to only allow certain operations as root. So for example kate will prompt you with a password prompt whenever you want to write to a file which is not writable by the user by default.
So the whole application with all its features does not have to run in a root context. Only the saving or opening procedure is requiring root.
From the security point of view this is a far far smaller target for potential attackers to exploit and such the most ideal solution to avoid security risks.

Root Action Service menu is for copying files to root locations for now in Dolphin until policykit is integrated in Dolphin to allow copying files and folders to locations were the user has no right to write to (it will then popup a password prompt).

Quote:An attempt to uninstall Dolfin leads to pulling it behind and uninstalling plasma5. Here's the picture
That looks a bit strange though its is just removing meta packages here.
kali-desktop-kde seems to depending on either dolphin or kde-baseapps or one of the other packages instead of only recommending it.
I don't know kali well but it might be worth reporting this as a bug.
In general I can tell you besided removing dolphin and konqueror you are not removing the plasma desktop as this package is usually called plasma-desktop.
It is a bit confusing granted and we suffered from this issue in the past aswell and learned from user feedback that this might look scary.

RE: Maui update program 2 wiped out plasma 5 and all programs - ali_deda - 2nd February 2018

We can not constantly hide and constantly blame the GUI that it's dangerous. Other GUI environments and their file managers work in root mode. If it's so dangerous then that means the linux is still in diapers pampers and that the GUI is still a nightmare. If this trend continues, it can freely turn off KDE and Plasma and GUI. Smile

RE: Maui update program 2 wiped out plasma 5 and all programs - leszek - 2nd February 2018

No one is blaming anyone. It is just evolution. A better solution is in the works. When it comes to other filemanagers or environments. They will learn.
And btw. despite the issues you might have with dolphin. There is nothing else that comes close to it.