Maui Forums
Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? (/showthread.php?tid=24770)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - zparihar - 24th May 2018

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if we're going to be getting the update Plasma 5.12.5 soon since its already inside Neon.
Or has there been an announcement that I missed regarding Maui and updates.

I believe there will not be any more 16.04 updates for Plasma when Neon switches over to an 18.04 so it would be unlikely Maui will get updates after that...

Let me know!

Cheers,

Zubin

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - smoreau - 25th May 2018

What will be your policy about plasmazilla, will it be maintained or must we turn toward ubuntu update to get Firefox and Thunderbird updates.
Many thanks for your Answer.
SM

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - zparihar - 28th May 2018

(25th May 2018, 7:18)smoreau Wrote: What will be your policy about plasmazilla, will it be maintained or must we turn toward ubuntu update to get Firefox and Thunderbird updates.
Many thanks for your Answer.
SM

Seems you and me are the active ones on the Maui and Plasma inquiries... It's looking to me that there are no more resources available on Maui... :-(

I guess I'm back on the Hunt for the Perfect Plasma Distro.  I considering heading over to Manjaro KDE just from all the rave reviews, and ironically, even people on the KDE Neon Channel on Telegram.  Its going to be hard to give up Ubuntu/Debian style packages.  I broke Netrunner within 3 days of installation last time I installed it... I'm not sure I can trust it for my Daily Drive. 

From everything that I've researched... Manjaro seems to fit all my requirements.

Its either that or head back to Kubuntu.... boring but stable.... but may be stuck on Plasma 5.12 for the next few years...

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Kurtbw - 29th May 2018

Certainly looks like Maui Linux has gone moribund. I see from reading elsewhere newer versions of Plasma should support Firefox & Chrome better...

I just find it a shame that Maui will go away, and I continue to look for (relatively) user-friendly Linux options.

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - leszek - 29th May 2018

Quote:Certainly looks like Maui Linux has gone moribund. I see from reading elsewhere newer versions of Plasma should support Firefox & Chrome better...
There are integration extensions for Firefox and Chromium that work together with Plasma 5.13. (plasma-browser-integration package)
I am not sure if Plasma 5.13 will come to KDE Neon (16.04 base) and such to Maui.

edit: Actually I compiled plasma-browser-integration and tested it with the chromium extension which works fine. So yeah I will try putting it in the repository.

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Kurtbw - 31st May 2018

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it in the repository. No terrible rush.

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Fargo - 31st May 2018

I'm still here on Maui.  But it is getting awfully quiet around here.  I'll be on Maui until I can find a good 18.04 KDE replacement.  So far Kubuntu and Neon are the only option.  I came from a Debian Stable based distro background.  Maui has shown me the joys of using Ubuntu based distros.  After avoiding Ubuntu since its inception, I'm not sure I want to ever leave Ubuntu now.  It really is easier to use than Debian based distros. 

EDIT/RANT
I no longer want to play with Linux, I just want to use it for production work.  I want a fully operating OS.  No more tweaking for me.  I want something that 'just works'.  I really hope that soon Linux will break away from the Geek/Developer/Elitist mentality and find some main stream love.  Just give me a stable and reliable distro where everything works together.  Thats the distro I am looking for.  Linux really is its own worse enemy sometimes.

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Bergoglio - 1st June 2018

Hi Fargo,

for my point of view now the only alternative to Maui is Kubuntu (Neon is too much vanilla and not so stable); the only problem is that Kubuntu needs some works and setups more than Maui and It will not be a semi-rolling like Maui.
I use pc for work, I use only Linux starting from 2004, I'm not a software engineer and Kubuntu is the only stable solution after Maui's death.

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Fargo - 1st June 2018

Thanks for the insight of Kubuntu vs Neon. I have been trying Neon on an old laptop, but it gets used so little it really hasn't provided me with any valuable insight. I also like that Kubuntu has more software preinstalled and that it is a recognized and tested 'distro'. Not just a set of packages for testing. Don't get me wrong, I think Neon is great. But it seems to me that KDENeon really is best if used as a base for another distro to build on top of. Just like Maui was doing.

I think Maui was great and it was really on the right track in using Neon for its base. But like so many other distros, it seems like the developers are more interested in following whatever the latest hot trend is within the linux community and following the lead of others instead of sticking to a solid game plan. For example, for years everyone was basing their distros on Ubuntu and you couldn't hardly find an actual Debian based distro. Now its just the opposite, everyone is basing on Debian and Kubuntu is the only Ubuntu KDE distro. Unfortunately, I seem to be contrary to the Linux world. Having been a linux user since before Ubuntu came to the scene, I was always warned away from Ubuntu by the 'old guard', saying it was buggy and unstable. So I never even tried it until now. I have found Maui and Ubuntu to be the most stable and easiest to use distro I have ever triend. We'll at least since Xandros (Debian Stable base). Xandros was my first distro and it was fantastic. Since then I have hopped around several Debian based distros, but never found anything as reliable as Maui has been. Its really a shame to see it go.

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Pfiff - 1st June 2018

(1st June 2018, 10:17)Bergoglio Wrote: Hi Fargo,

for my point of view now the only alternative to Maui is Kubuntu (Neon is too much vanilla and not so stable); the only problem is that Kubuntu needs some works and setups more than Maui and It will not be a semi-rolling like Maui.
I use pc for work, I use only Linux starting from 2004, I'm not a software engineer and Kubuntu is the only stable solution after Maui's death.

... or you change completly and you go to manjaro kde ...