Maui Forums
Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? (/showthread.php?tid=24770)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - zparihar - 11th June 2018

(5th June 2018, 17:45)Fargo Wrote:
(1st June 2018, 22:15)Pfiff Wrote:
(1st June 2018, 10:17)Bergoglio Wrote: Hi Fargo,

for my point of view now the only alternative to Maui is Kubuntu (Neon is too much vanilla and not so stable); the only problem is that Kubuntu needs some works and setups more than Maui and It will not be a semi-rolling like Maui.
I use pc for work, I use only Linux starting from 2004, I'm not a software engineer and Kubuntu is the only stable solution after Maui's death.

... or you change completly and you go to manjaro kde ...

Personally, I would change to Ubuntu Budgie before I went to Manjaro.  Nothing against Manjaro, I've just decided that if Linux is ever going to get out of the basement, it needs a large corporate sponsor behind the desktop.  Unfortunately Ubuntu just walked away from that role, so not sure where that leaves us.  I'm afraid though that it might leave Linux doomed to hackers in mom and dads basement. 

For the first time in over 10 years I am actually at a point where I am questioning if Linux on the desktop will ever amount to anything or if the hope is all gone.  I am seriously considering a return to Windows.  I am so tired of fighting with virtual machines and bad software just to see Linux gain some market share.  I have long hoped for some big company to come along side of Linux and make great software.  But its never happened.  Linux is still a complete niche product that is fully reliant on the graces of the open source community.  For a home user just surfing the web and writing a Christmas letter once a year, linux is great.  As a business tool, I am getting tired of chasing Linux in hopes that it will one day be a real rival to MS and Windows only software.  The fight in me is almost gone...

Sorry for the rant.  This isn't intended to reflect the status of Maui, Manjaro or any specific Linux distro.  Linux in and of itself, is better than ever.  Honestly, I am at a loss as to why people haven't been running to Linux in hoards over the past few years.  Other than;  1) People are lazy and Windows came on their machine 2)  There is always a key piece of software that is missing and Windows only.  So people are still locked into Windows against their will.  I know that #2 is certainly where I am at.  Its also the problem I see with everyone I encounter.  Linux is always missing one program they need.  The problem is that its never the same program.  For me it is Quickbooks and proprietary software for my real estate appraisal profession.  For another friend it is Photoshop.  For my kids its Lego Mindstorm software.  (Which is doubly frustrating that Lego uses Linux in the robot but you have to use Windows to program the thing.)  So everywhere I turn, I seem to hit a wall where Microsoft still has such a monopoly you just can escape the grip of MS.  Its all in the software.  Linux will never amount to more than a hackers tool until there is dedicated professional software.  The only hope that Linux has is cloud based software that is OS independent.  I hate cloud software, but its the only chance linux has to be used as a true professional office machine.

Sorry, I just had to vent.  Thanks for letting me get that all off my chest.

Well If you're switching to Budgie and therefore off KDE, then you may as well go to Linux Mint Cinnamon.

I think i'm going to give Manjaro a go.  I've heard nothing but great things about it.  I don't think there will be too much of a learning curve.

Still wishing Maui would be around...

Also, are we going to get Plasma 5.12.5 for Maui? Leszek?

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - leszek - 11th June 2018

Quote:Also, are we going to get Plasma 5.12.5 for Maui? Leszek?
Sorry for the delay. Last time we synced with neon packages there were issues upgrading Maui to Plasma 5.12.5 (or after upgrading the desktop did not work like expected).
Let me retry it with a newer snapshot.

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - leszek - 11th June 2018

Update: New update with Plasma 5.12.5 + Qt 5.10 + KF5.46 + KDE Application 18.04.2 is available now in the backports repo. Make sure to also download the latest default-settings-kdeapps package from backports as this makes sure the default toolbar of dolphin does not change.

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - smoreau - 11th June 2018

(11th June 2018, 12:55)leszek Wrote: Update: New update with Plasma 5.12.5 + Qt 5.10 + KF5.46 + KDE Application 18.04.2 is available now in the backports repo. Make sure to also download the latest default-settings-kdeapps package from backports as this makes sure the default toolbar of dolphin does not change.

Thanks Leszek and it works;
Long life  a Maui
SM

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Bergoglio - 11th June 2018

Excuse me, what is the latest version of default-settings-kdeapps ?

The one with 20180611 at the end of tbhe version string.

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Bergoglio - 11th June 2018

Ok, I have the backports repo activated and in Synaptic it shows only an old 2016 version.....

What is the command to force install from Konsole ?

You can force version in synaptic.

Ok, done.

Now it's all ok

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - zparihar - 12th June 2018

Thank you Leszek!

Most appreciated, i'm looking forward to this release!