Maui Forums
Advice for a new smartphone - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Talk (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=80)
+--- Thread: Advice for a new smartphone (/showthread.php?tid=24792)

Advice for a new smartphone - Bergoglio - 5th July 2018

Hi,

the topic is a lot far from Maui, but here Your knowledge is high so I hope to find a solution.
I'm thinking to change my smartphone (LG K10) with another better but I have a lot of doubts.
I use the smartphone 90% of time for work, my needs are :
1) obviously Android
2) making phone calls
3) using Google Chrome browser
4) sending sms trough the Google app
5) using Telegram trough Telegram app
6) using Messenger / Facebook trough Facebook app
7) using Gmail e-mails trough Google Gmail app
8) using calendar on Google trough Google calendar app
9) using KDE Connect
10) using bank app
11) using IFTT app
12) using Mytaxi app
13) using Google Assistant
14) using Google Maps app for navigator
15) using an app for trains named Orario Treni Pro
In general my problems are :
1) in Italy the quality of connections is low (especially on the trains), so I need a device with high signal reception and capability to manage in a good way the change of signal quality
2) a quite good energy save (there aren't always 220 volt plugs)
3) a good compatibility with bluetooth earphones
4) a simple system without too much mods, I like the stock from Google and the apps from Google
5) an high RAM / ROM quantity.
I'm watching these 3 devices : Google Pixel 2 XL, HTC U11, OnePlus 6
I read that OnePlus 6 has a lot of problems in signal reception
What is Your advice ?
Another doubt is about the not original roms like CyanogenMod etc. : is a good idea if I buy a smartphone and I flash it with these roms ? Can I have improvements ?

Thanks

RE: Advice for a new smartphone - leszek - 6th July 2018

The most fun you will get out of the Google Pixel 2 XL I guess.
As an alternative you could take a look at a Asus Zenfone 5z which seems to be a tiny bit cheaper but also a little bit better than the OnePlus 6.

My best advice go get all of the phones in hand and also decide on the base of look and feel.
When it comes to alternative Systems on your smartphone. Those are interesting if you don't get any support or bad support in terms of updates from your device manufacturer.
It is also interesting if you don't like the Google monopoly. Though it seems to me you are a prisoner of Google already Tongue

I personally use an Xperia X with SailfishOS as my main device.

RE: Advice for a new smartphone - Bergoglio - 6th July 2018

(6th July 2018, 9:25)leszek Wrote: The most fun you will get out of the Google Pixel 2 XL I guess.
As an alternative you could take a look at a Asus Zenfone 5z which seems to be a tiny bit cheaper but also a little bit better than the OnePlus 6.

My best advice go get all of the phones in hand and also decide on the base of look and feel.
When it comes to alternative Systems on your smartphone. Those are interesting if you don't get any support or bad support in terms of updates from your device manufacturer.
It is also interesting if you don't like the Google monopoly. Though it seems to me you are a prisoner of Google already Tongue

I personally use an Xperia X with SailfishOS as my main device.

Hi Leszek,

I'm not so extreme to use SailfishOS or similarĀ  Big Grin
I like Android and Google services, my question is only to use Android firmware not official (I mean not from the smartphone producer) : are these roms stable ? Can they give real improvements ?

Thank You very much for the hardware advices.

RE: Advice for a new smartphone - wonder - 7th July 2018

I have, since a few days, HTC u11 and...really fantastic.
I'm similar to "fanboy" of htc (htc m7, m9, htc10 and now, htc u11), with difference, this u11 is the best (obiusly).
The jump in quality / efficiency is great.

But like everything in the world of computer science / technology, everyone will give their opinion and surely each one will be different Smile
You must choose between one that you have in budget, that meets your requirements and you like it.
Any of the ones you have named are excellent.

RE: Advice for a new smartphone - Bergoglio - 8th July 2018

(7th July 2018, 2:00)wonder Wrote: I have, since a few days, HTC u11 and...really fantastic.
I'm similar to "fanboy" of htc (htc m7, m9, htc10 and now, htc u11), with difference, this u11 is the best (obiusly).
The jump in quality / efficiency is great.

But like everything in the world of computer science / technology, everyone will give their opinion and surely each one will be different Smile
You must choose between one that you have in budget, that meets your requirements and you like it.
Any of the ones you have named are excellent.

Thanks