Maui Forums
problems with vmware: which virtual machine is best? - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Software & Applications (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: problems with vmware: which virtual machine is best? (/showthread.php?tid=24331)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: problems with vmware: which virtual machine is best? - rocky7x - 11th April 2017

Also there is another method for turning clear type on, using winetricks:

Code:
winetricks settings fontsmooth=rgb

Of course don't forget to specify WINEPREFIX... Smile

RE: problems with vmware: which virtual machine is best? - rocky7x - 11th April 2017

(11th April 2017, 16:10)benit Wrote: Encouraged of seeing Word "natively" on my maui installation I tried to install also my HP printer driver, but that failed due to the missing USB support.

Some research on the WINE page shows me that this is a "special topic". Is anybody reading this who can give some definite advice on this problem?

Thank you very much in advance!

Why do you want windows HP driver on Linux? Smile HP has excellent driver support on Linux, through HPLip. All, and I mean ALL HP printers work on Linux (if you find one, tell me) Smile I can tell you that for sure Wink I work with HP printers and have tried tons of them and have not found one that would not work Wink

RE: problems with vmware: which virtual machine is best? - benit - 12th April 2017

Thanks a lot!

1) Can I install Gecko and Mono later?
2) Where is the path for .fonts.conf? In my Linux home directory there is no .fonts folder! Or are you talking about the Wine/Windows drive / folder structure?

RE: problems with vmware: which virtual machine is best? - rocky7x - 12th April 2017

I think it should be possible, via winetricks or similarly by starting winecfg as before. But not sure really as I haven't done it before.

As for the .fonts.conf, it's a file on your home directory. If it doesn't exist, create one and put by default the content of the Debian example from this site:

https://wiki.debian.org/Fonts

It is near the end of the page, just copy/paste, then add the part for embedded bitmaps..

RE: problems with vmware: which virtual machine is best? - kdemeoz - 16th April 2017

(12th April 2017, 14:23)benit Wrote: 1) Can I install Gecko and Mono later?

+

(12th April 2017, 14:23)rocky7x Wrote: I think it should be possible, via winetricks or similarly by starting winecfg as before. But not sure really as I haven't done it before.

FYI, i am not saying that it is truly impossible, only that i was not able to see how to post-event install Gecko & Mono, using either winetricks or winecfg. Instead, i did this, yesterday*:
Code:
   sudo apt install wine-mono
   sudo apt install wine-gecko

* For me their prompt to install [during the full procedure as posted earlier by Rocky] was VERY haphazard, on some deployments of this entire procedure i would be prompted, but most times there was no prompt [even after deleting the WinePrefix & starting over again]. Eventually in exasperation, after the umpteenth reinstallation attempt of Office 2010 yesterday per this method, with yet again no prompts, i ran those in Konsole at the end, to manually force the matter. 

RE: problems with vmware: which virtual machine is best? - kdemeoz - 30th April 2017

(20th March 2017, 12:23)rocky7x Wrote: Hi,

I use Virtualbox for years and being very satisfied with it. No issues at all. Using the version from the Ubuntu repositories, not the one from Virtualbox site, though.

Though i'm replying to your post Rocky, i suspect you might not necessarily know the answer, so i hope also that the Devs might wade into this too [pls].

Do you / does anyone, know if it is possible to keep using VMs that were created with the proprietary Oracle versions of VirtualBox [AND its important Guest Additions], if i completely uninstall all aspects of the Oracle-site pgm, then install the older Maui/Ubuntu repos version?

I have many many VB VMs & a lot of them pre-date Maui (ie, i created them years ago when i still ran Mint 17.x KDE4]. As back then Mint's repo seemed to have only an ancient version of VB, rightly or wrongly i decided not to install it, but instead download & use the Oracle-site VB version [of both the base VB pgm, but also GA]. Ever since then, as newer VB versions became available on the VB site, i routinely kept updating my VB & GA pgms that way. 

I really like & value VB [more than VMWare], & my many VMs are important to me. However one persistent failing of VB for me, over the long-term, which gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies, is this, which happens too often upon restoring VMs that i chose to Save rather than completely shutdown, last time:

Every time this failure occurs i have to Discard the specific VM's saved state, thus losing all my "arranged stuff" in it that i had wanted to resume once the VM was restored.

It occurred to me that maybe this frequent failure mode [more saved-state resumptions succeed than fail, but the failures are still too often for my liking, & randomly occur to any of the Linux-VMs, & Windows-VMs] might be eliminated if i reverted to the Repos-based VB & GA version instead of the official Oracle VB-site versions...? However, i cannot experiment on this IF it might endanger the viability of all my VMs [certainly i am not willing to just throw them all away & begin again with no VMs].

Thoughts pls?

RE: problems with vmware: which virtual machine is best? - rocky7x - 30th April 2017

Unfortunately that will not be solved by installing the older version of VB Wink I have the same problem, never found out why it happens, but sporadically it does. Although I must admit that with the latest versions of VB (5.1.x) or doesn't happen so often...

RE: problems with vmware: which virtual machine is best? - kdemeoz - 30th April 2017

Ah, ok, well thank you for that important info - it saves me all the time that pointless adventure otherwise would have consumed.