Maui Forums

Full Version: Missing icon in systray
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ah yes, that is true indeed. I went the brute-force way ;-)
I don't use Dropbox, but in other respects my problem is similar to that described by Dieter. In my case the target pgm is KeePass2, & whereas back in Mint 17.x KDE4 its icon would appear in the SysTray, so far it never has in Maui. I was inspired by spacepenguin's advice above, & tried these steps, but it did not unfortunately resolve the problem. I use Oxygen [actively dislike Breeze].

1. Did:
Code:
Z97-HD3:~$ locate keepass2 | grep icon
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/keepass2.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/keepass2.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/keepass2.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/keepass2.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/keepass2.png

2. Went to /usr/share/icons/oxygen, & observed that of the various folders therein, only /base contained subfolders with the necessary /apps folders [none of which contained the keepass2 icons, obviously].

3. Hereafter i have used the 16x16 size as an example, but i took the same steps in each of the other relevant folders too (ie, 32, 48, 64, 256x). In /home/moi/.local/share/icons, i created the new sub-structure /oxygen/base/16x16/apps. Herein i copied keepass2.png from /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/keepass2.png. Ditto respectively the other sizes. 

4. I rebooted, but disappointedly saw upon launching KeePass2 that the SysTray continued to only exhibit the blank space of the running pgm, but still not its icon.

5. Not expecting success now, but out of other ideas, i copied the relevant keepass2.png files from the respective /usr/share/icons/hicolor/ apps subfolders into the relevant [eg] /usr/share/icons/oxygen/base/16x16/apps [etc].

6. Rebooted, but still no good.

7. Deep sigh.
Try it with this command:

Code:
dbus-launch keepass2

This solution works with Dropbox Wink
Thank you... but still no SysTray icon. Bwahhhhhhhhhh.
Can you verify that xembedsniproxy is running on your systems?
There seems to be an issue with this and other xdg autostart applications not running on some system configurations.
https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24149
Hi, thanks. Yes i can confirm that it **IS** running [auto starts apparently, as i've never touched it or even known of it before]. I'm also following that linked thread, & am not having the same hassles as rocky with it somehow not auto-starting. For me, that aspect seems ok... but despite it, it just seems that KeePass2 & Plasma5 don't play entirely nicely together [at least, re the systray icon; otherwise KP2 is fine]. Oh well.
Hi,

Have you tried KeepassX? It is the same as Keepass2, but it works OK, also with the systray icon. I use it all the time Wink
Hi rocky. Thanks for this interesting & useful info. No i was vaguely aware of X, but have used 2 for several years [originally in Windows, then also in Linux once i abandoned MS a couple of years back]. I can't really say now why i originally went for 2 over X [too long ago to recall], but since then it'd simply been habitual.

Have now read the X website, & associated Github page. Am a little perturbed that it seems i can't just d/l a v2.03 Deb file, & the repos only have v2.02. I assume i need to d/l & build from source, which i can probably muddle my way through... but lazy cow i am, a Deb file would have been nicer.   Undecided

As a cop-out, i will initially install v2.02 from repos into one of my Maui VMs, just to have a play with it, see if i like it, & if it will import my pretty extensive KP2 db. If it seems ok, i then would seriously consider going to the bother of compiling & building v2.03 from the source code, for my "real" Maui. 

Really appreciate your help, again. 
Well, i was sufficiently impressed with KPX v2.02 in my Maui VM that i then had a go at compiling & building v2.03 from source, but i failed at the cmake stage:

Code:
Maui-VirtualBox:~/Documents/temp/keepassx-2.0.3$ cd build
moi@Maui-VirtualBox:~/Documents/temp/keepassx-2.0.3/build$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local
CMake Error: The source directory "/home/moi/Documents/temp/keepassx-2.0.3/build" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.

None of the other CMAKE PARAMETERS i tried fared any better, & the supposed help file just confused me. I gave up on it, & chose merely to install v2.02 via repos into my "real" Maui on Tower. 

It seems to have entirely happily accepted my existing KP2 database, & as you said, Maui's systray happily now displays the icon not a blank space. In some ways KPX's GUI is more primitive than KP2's, but in other ways it's superior. On balance i think i'll probably now stay with it, as it seems better integrated for Linux [afaik, KP2 was a Windows pgm, later ported to Linux, & in my experience so far in Linux for the past few years, it has exhibited multiple misbehaviours that i hope KPX will not]. 

Thanks rocky
That cmake command misses the .. telling it to look one dir up for the CMakefiles btw.
So the command executed in the build directory should be
Code:
cmake ..
Pages: 1 2 3