Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] - Accept or ignore certain updates?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
My goodness but i really opened Pandora's box with my original question, didn't i? Tongue
(13th October 2016, 14:28)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]You should not even see this upgrade since the maui-apt-config disabled the packages.mauilinux.org repo. If you still have it please remove it or disable it.

ok leszek , I think I am ok now ! Thanks a lot !
All fixed here now, must be more cautious in future with the red updates!
Thanks
Yeah, those red ones can be a real PITA ;-) But from what I understood, it should all get much better now, since they have switched us to a different Maui channel for updates, giving us more tested and stable stuff than Neon gets :-)
just came across this thread--is it a correct summary then to say that we should not use sudo apt-get upgrade with Maui, but instead rely on the software update gui (and be wary of those 4's and 5's)?
In general th update gui is more for beginner users and it's recommend updated packages guarantee a non breaking system (as it won't select any package marked higher than 3).
Though we test of course also for apt-get upgrade which should not break anything as well as it only updates installed packages and not installing packages that remove older ones or pull in newer ones (in contrast to dist-upgrade which does exactly that).
(15th October 2016, 9:51)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]In general th update gui is more for beginner users and it's recommend updated packages guarantee a non breaking system (as it won't select any package marked higher than 3).
Though we test of course also for apt-get upgrade which should not break anything as well as it only updates installed packages and not installing packages that remove older ones or pull in newer ones (in contrast to dist-upgrade which does exactly that).

ok, so update gui and apt-upgrade should be generally safe to use...but should probably avoid dist-upgrade as a newcomer?

Thanks!
Exactly
(15th October 2016, 14:38)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly

thank you!
what about this update?
distro-info-data

should i update that?
Pages: 1 2 3 4