Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] - Qlix Segmentation Fault.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any ideas or suggestions pls? I've never used qlix before, but found it in Synaptic this morning & installed it to evaluate if it could be useful for file transfers with my Moto G 2nd Gen phone. With the phone connected via USB cable, then launching qlix from Maui's Menu, it tries to detect devices for a few seconds, then vanishes. After launching instead in Konsole i can see why its GUI vanishes, but i'm not knowledgeable enough to troubleshoot such faults.

Code:
Z97-HD3:~$ qlix
Device 0 (VID=22b8 and PID=2e76) is a Motorola Moto G (ID1).
Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
Ouch! - Qlix received signal 11
Segmentation fault
Z97-HD3:~$
Why not using the normal filemanager for data transfer with USB? It should show up your phone and you should have access to your files stored on the phone.
Dolphin [which is fantastic] is fine for transferring simple files between phone & pc, but no help for SMS messages, Contacts & Call Logs. I am not saying that Qlix can do any of those; that's exactly why i wanted to test it to see if it was useful to me.

FYI, there's a bigger back-story here. Ever since i made Linux my full-time OS, in 2014, after a "lifetime" in Windows, i've been able to progressively find good or excellent replacements in Linux for all my important Windows pgms... with one glaring exception. I've still not found anything better than MyPhoneExplorer for my Android phone, but sadly MPE is only a Windows pgm. It works really well in Windows, but the only way [of which i'm aware] to run it in Linux is with Wine, or in PlayOnLinux [which of course is basically Wine with lipstick & mascara]. Approx. a week ago i did manage to get MPE installed & setup in PoL, & it kinda sorta worked, but also had various difficulties & problems. That experiment also occurred when i was still having all those terrible Plasmashell/KWin failures, before i learned to downgrade the NVidia driver which fixed everything. Back then, each time i ran PoL & MPE within it, it kept entirely crippling Maui, such that i had to keep rebooting to recover. I would like to believe that this was 100% the fault of that bad driver, & that now i have the good driver PoL would be fine. I have not yet summoned the courage to retest it.

If i could find a viable Linux native pgm that would connect with my Android phone, & with a good GUI client for synchronising the phone's SMS messages, Contacts & Call Logs, such that i can later / anytime access the PC copy of my phone's records in functional appearance [eg, SMS in conversation format, like MPE does], then i would not need MPE or PoL, nor would i need to occasionally keep launching my Win10 VM just to use MPE there [i just hate having to keep touching Windows now]. I just don't understand why there seems to be no, or no good, GNU pgm with this obviously-needed functionality, for Linux. So, that's why i wanted to test Qlix, as part of my ongoing quest for a decent Linux Android phone client package.
Qlix itself is as far as I can see a media manager. So it has playlist and music support and normal file transfer support. It is reported to be unreliable. So I guess it segfaults because it can't detect the device or wants to communicate in a manner the device does not support.

As for what you want I don't think there is such an app available without you having root access of some kind to the device.
The only option I know of is QtADB but that requires you to also have QtADB installed/running on your phone.
https://qtadb.wordpress.com/

The binary itself is not available as debian package (deb) in a repo I am afraid. But they distribute binaries in compressed archives on their site.
Thanks very much; that was kind of you to look into the options for me.

I decided to remove Qlix, given its problems, & so it sounds like now my only options are to keep running MPE in my Win10 VM [yuk; works well, but i feel dirty], or try again with MPE in PoL in Maui & hope that its earlier hassles were the fault of that bad NVidia driver not PoL itself, or experiment with QtADB.

I've run out of energy & enthusiasm for tonight, so hopefully will look into it over the weekend. Thanks again.
Hi again leszek, a quick FYI.

I'm delighted to advise that today i've now again tested running MPE in PoL, & now it works wonderfully well. All that terrible Maui craziness with mouse buttons dying, KWin crashing, & reboots being required... NONE of it occurred anymore. OMZ that defective / incompatible NVidia driver, per that other thread, really was responsible for so much carnage. Never [at the time] could i have imagined that "simply" having a bad driver would even screw up ostensibly unrelated pgms like PoL & MPE.

Consequently, whilst i'm grateful for you digging it up for me, there's now no need for me to try QtADB. Am now marking this thread as SOLVED.