Maui Forums

Full Version: kernel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
well,i see that this maui 2 comes with an older kernel, v.4.4.0 and as far as i can tell the last 1 is v.4.8.6,i saw that it is possible to download the original from internet,imean the last version and to just compile it for our own distribution,i am not gd or able to do that,but as of things i've read is not a job for more than 1 hour or so,can you guys do that for us and just push it into update ppa ? or it is even a gd thing to update that kernel without blowing away or screwing the stable stage of the whole of this maui 2 ?
Maui is based on project Neon, which uses the Ubuntu LTS release as it's base system.
The kernel would be part of that Ubuntu LTS base system.
(3rd November 2016, 3:31)AJSlye Wrote: [ -> ]Maui is based on project Neon, which uses the Ubuntu LTS release as it's base system.
The kernel would be part of that Ubuntu LTS base system.

you didn't answer my question, i already know that
If you want to test out the newest vanilla kernel (means without ubuntu patches) you can do so already by downloading the mainline kernel from the kernel ppa of ubuntu.
For example: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.8.6/

You only need linux-headers, linux-headers-generic and the linux-image deb files. The low latency are only necessary if you need it. (If you don't know what this is then don't install it)
(3rd November 2016, 11:50)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to test out the newest vanilla kernel (means without ubuntu patches) you can do so already by downloading the mainline kernel from the kernel ppa of ubuntu.
For example: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.8.6/

You only need linux-headers, linux-headers-generic and the linux-image deb files. The low latency are only necessary if you need it. (If you don't know what this is then don't install it)

actually i downloaded all of the files,but what did actually installed on my pc was the lowlatency ,with the other couldn't make it,errors in module,as far as i can tell,linux didn't crashed,all i tryed still working and i had a surprise to find out that my stick flash drive it was recognized again,it didn't with the 4.4.0 version,i was trying to build a kernel from the source,but my knowledge are poor to none into that,i was trying to fallow an online website on howto,but as far as i can tell at make deb the things stop,i get the no options used stop,so i guess it didn't work,i wish i knew how to do it properly and just get the new kernel,but thing is this,this part it has to be made by you guys,at maui,to bring a new kernel it is important for everyone,i don't have to say why,so for now i am runnin on kernel 4.8.6 lowlatency and i will remain at that til someone at maui will bring the real thing with the new kernel,it was for me a very strange thing that windows do see my stick flash drive but this linux didn't,so the newest kernel is indeed needed,so i am just asking nicely,pls bring us the newest kernel
We want to stick with ubuntu kernels to ease maintenance on one important part of the system. Kernel 4.8 is scheduled to flow in with 16.04.2 I guess. So its just a matter of some patience until we also have a new version (maybe with Maui 3) out then.
Newer official Ubuntu kernels come with Hardware Enablement Stacks (HES). Check the official Ubuntu HES page for release schedule. It is installed very easily, via Synaptic, by choosing a kernel that has something-lts-yaketty for example.. It's not just kernels that are part of HES, but also full graphics stacks... Just be patient until it comes out...
well,i had to get back to the 4.4.0 kernel,it seems that in that 1 from ubuntu,as i said,some module got errors,1 of them was virtualbox,i couldn't run it at all no matter what i tryed,the module was missing,so,i will have to wait for the kernel from u guys,i hope i don't have to wait til the version 3 of maui Smile