Maui Forums

Full Version: Inkscape and The Crazy Upside-down Screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was using inkscape to edit copies of some of the svgz files in the Oxygen theme, and it started behaving very oddly.  

It flips the image upside down and mirrors it.  The mirror will partially erase itself if I move my mouse over the toolbar so that I can see 'File', 'Edit', etc. as I move across them.  I thought perhaps it was just an inkscape problem, but after I close the program, it starts doing the same thing to my desktop.  The upside-down-mirror flipflops around.  It looks like the wallpaper is flickering, but it's flipping itself over and then back.  Not constantly; maybe every 30-60 seconds or so.  

I rebooted, and everything was normal - until I opened inkscape and began working on an image again.  (A different one, this time.)  

As far as I know, I haven't changed anything - everything has worked fine up until this moment.
Ha -- welcome to Australia :-)
How do you guys manage, standing on your heads all the time like that?? Wink
Oh we wear special hats with wheels on them, sort of like glorified roller skates. Makes it much easier. I've heard that in some parts of the world, people actually wear roller skates on their feet -- now that's just so weird!!
Looks like a nasty graphics issue.
Which driver and card do you have ?
Have you tried disabling the desktop effects (Alt+Shift+F12 to toggle between off and on)
It's an Intel HD 3000 card (for mac) and I'm using (I think this is the graphics driver?) 'Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs from intel-microcode'. That's what's checked under Driver Manager. If that's not the right one, I'm not sure where to look. Compositor Settings is using OpenGL 3.1.

I haven't tried disabling it - I will do that.
Intel provides free drivers shipped with every distro. Should work fine especially the HD3000. Maybe the OpenGL 3.1 isn't liked by it. Maybe try 2.0 and see if it's better.
Might be also worth trying out if an effect is responsible for it by disabling one after another and see if you can reproduce.
Using OpenGL 2 seems to be working so far. When I was using 3.1, the distortion would start after editing anywhere from 1-5 files. This time I've done more than 10 and still working great. Smile
When I have a bit more time, I'll check out the effects and see if any of those might be causing troubles.