Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] Trying to install Crossover 15...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been trying to install Crossover 15 but I keep getting an error that it cannot load dependencies. Anyone have any experience getting it working? I have Linux Mint 18 and it works fine. I like Maui much better, if only I could get this to work I'd be with Maui for a long time since I have a Windows program I can't get in a Linux version and must run it in Crossover.

Thanks for any experience and help you could give.

kneo
Hi kneo. I know i'm avoiding your specific question [but i trust others more knowledgeable than me might be able to help on that]. I wanted to ask though if an acceptable workaround for you could possibly be either of these:

1. Rather than Crossover [which is built atop Wine, i think], could you simply try PlayOnLinux [which definitely is built atop Wine]? My own experience with PoL is decidedly chequered, with it being pathetic for Outlook 2010 [yes it ran, but would crash frequently, almost always causing data loss, & occasionally corrupting my PST; in between crashes it seemed kinda sorta ok, but several key OL functions didn't work]. Conversely, whilst it's been very tricky to get right, & i must use it in a very specific way otherwise plasmashell goes nuts, i am able finally to run MyPhoneExplorer in PoL in Maui.

2. Do you happen to have a licensed copy of any MS OS compatible with your target MS pgm? If so, is it viable for you to run your pgm in said MS OS in a VirtualBox or VMWare virtual machine? After i migrated from the MS narrowverse to the Linux multiverse a few years ago, until only a month or two ago i still had to fire up one of my Windows VMs [shudder] every day for Outlook [til i abandoned it earlier this year for a full Linux PIM solution], & til very recently also for MPE [til i sussed it out in PoL]. Whilst one might feel "dirty" for still having to touch Windows in Linux (i did], it was nonetheless a viable workaround [that said, i was so pleased once my migration was complete so i no longer need Windows VMs for anything].

I realise you've probably already thought of both those ideas, & ruled them out... but just in case not i thought i'd mention them.
Hi kneo,

can you post the error message you get?
(27th November 2016, 3:44)kdemeoz Wrote: [ -> ]Hi kneo. I know i'm avoiding your specific question [but i trust others more knowledgeable than me might be able to help on that]. I wanted to ask though if an acceptable workaround for you could possibly be either of these:

1. Rather than Crossover [which is built atop Wine, i think], could you simply try PlayOnLinux [which definitely is built atop Wine]? My own experience with PoL is decidedly chequered, with it being pathetic for Outlook 2010 [yes it ran, but would crash frequently, almost always causing data loss, & occasionally corrupting my PST; in between crashes it seemed kinda sorta ok, but several key OL functions didn't work]. Conversely, whilst it's been very tricky to get right, & i must use it in a very specific way otherwise plasmashell goes nuts, i am able finally to run MyPhoneExplorer in PoL in Maui.

2. Do you happen to have a licensed copy of any MS OS compatible with your target MS pgm? If so, is it viable for you to run your pgm in said MS OS in a VirtualBox or VMWare virtual machine? After i migrated from the MS narrowverse to the Linux multiverse a few years ago, until only a month or two ago i still had to fire up one of my Windows VMs [shudder] every day for Outlook [til i abandoned it earlier this year for a full Linux PIM solution], & til very recently also for MPE [til i sussed it out in PoL]. Whilst one might feel "dirty" for still having to touch Windows in Linux (i did], it was nonetheless a viable workaround [that said, i was so pleased once my migration was complete so i no longer need Windows VMs for anything].

I realise you've probably already thought of both those ideas, & ruled them out... but just in case not i thought i'd mention them.

kdemeoz,

I have to use Windows at work. I have an older Macbook Pro (2007), an older HP laptop with Windows 10 (with all the encroaching settings turned off (hate all the data collection MS does but the system runs well... and Google for that matter) and an HP AMD laptop with Mint. I love Linux and want to move to Maui since it is just fast and clean. Right now I am back to Min until I can get this resolved.

I tried POL but it wasn't working for this program well. Kind of like your same issues with it.

I also tried Virtualbox but I have a slower AMD HP laptop. Mint runs well, but the added OS and software slow it down. Crossover is the only way I have found to run it smoothly.

Thanks for your insight. I appreciate it.

kneo
(27th November 2016, 10:12)starbuck Wrote: [ -> ]Hi kneo,

can you post the error message you get?

starbuck,

I don't have Maui installed right now since I couldn't get this to work... but as I remember when trying to install the package manager stated it could not load dependencies. I am thinking it didn't have access to to the repositories needed for those. Since it works in Mint Cinnamon I suppose the repositories needed have some connection to the ones in Ubuntu that Mint has. Anyway, I'm a semi-newbe. Rolleyes

kneo
I had no problem to install crossover 15 in Maui 2, just install the packages it requests:
libglu1-mesa:i386
libxrandr2:i386
libnss-mdns:i386

so I run :
sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa:i386 libxrandr2:i386 libnss-mdns:i386

then I installed croossover:
sudo dpkg -i crossover_15.3.1-1.deb
(29th November 2016, 22:16)monteleo Wrote: [ -> ]I had no problem to install crossover 15 in Maui 2, just install the packages it requests:
libglu1-mesa:i386
libxrandr2:i386
libnss-mdns:i386

so I run :
sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa:i386 libxrandr2:i386 libnss-mdns:i386I find out...

then I installed croossover:
sudo dpkg -i crossover_15.3.1-1.deb

Thank you monteleo. I will try that. I am doing a clean install right now of Maui 2.1.

Odd that my system didn't tell me what it was missing. Anyways, thank you and I will post what happens.

kneo

monteleo,

OK, I followed your instructions. It worked. Thanks very much monteleo, kdemeoz and starbuck for all your help.

Happy camper...
Big Grin