Maui Forums

Full Version: No avatars on login screens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hmm, that is strange, albeit I wouldn't expect assigning SDDM to a users group would have made much difference, except possibly for that one paticular user. I'm pretty sure messing with SDDM's user account settings and/or group assignments directly would have negative effects on it.
Is there any error reported by sddm in its log file (/var/log/sddm)
OK I made it work via a different approach. Seems that sddm ignores .face.icon and .face. In /etc/sddm.conf I added explicit directory for faces like this:

Code:
[Theme]
Current=breeze
CursorTheme=breeze_cursors
FacesDir=/home/rocky/

Then I put file rocky.face.icon in my own home dir and then it worked. However, in a multiuser system this would need to be setup differently, for example using something like /etc/sddm/faces/ and put all face files into it with naming convention username.face.icon

But of course, this is not a user-friendly approach Wink
(6th December 2016, 16:58)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any error reported by sddm in its log file (/var/log/sddm)

/var/log/sddm.log is empty.
(6th December 2016, 16:49)rocky7x Wrote: [ -> ]Tried it, doesn't work. Also tried to add the user sddm to my own user group in /etc/group - doesn't work. Now, with this, sddm definitely has access to my .face.icon file, but doesn't show it. It did prior to the 5.8.3 update though...

Yes I agree with your writing. I've tried various combinations avatar must be png or must have a name .face.icon. Have you looked at this structure and avatar that is located here.
/var/lib/AccountsService/icons/
Maui shows the avatar if the png, Neon must have a path to the avatar. Smile
(6th December 2016, 22:41)ali_deda Wrote: [ -> ]
(6th December 2016, 16:49)rocky7x Wrote: [ -> ]Tried it, doesn't work. Also tried to add the user sddm to my own user group in /etc/group - doesn't work. Now, with this, sddm definitely has access to my .face.icon file, but doesn't show it. It did prior to the 5.8.3 update though...

Yes I agree with your writing. I've tried various combinations avatar must be png or must have a name .face.icon. Have you looked at this structure and avatar that is located here.

Don't forget that SDDM must also have permission to view the avatar in the path location as well.
(6th December 2016, 22:56)AJSlye Wrote: [ -> ]
(6th December 2016, 22:41)ali_deda Wrote: [ -> ]

Don't forget that SDDM must also have permission to view the avatar in the path location as well.

AJSlye: that's true, but without setting FacesDir parameter in the config file manually and setting the username.face.icon file into that dir, it doesn't work. It doesn't check the .face.icon nor .face in the home dir even though it has permission for it.
Hi. Sorry for being a bit of a simpleton, but i became a bit confused following this thread. Can i pls have clarified... is the consensus that this is an upstream bug (in which case i'd be wasting my time to bother trying to solve it at my end], or does one of the techniques mentioned above actually resolve it? Thanks.
From my perspective it's a bug, but there is a workaround that reliably works for me. You have to setup a directory that is accessible to user sddm (I use my home dir, since its rwx-rxr-x) and put there a file called <username>.face.icon (in my case rocky.face.icon), which also needs to be readble by user sddm (so rw-r--r--). The you have to modify the file /etc/sddm.conf and add there something like this:

Code:
[Theme]
Current=breeze
CursorTheme=breeze_cursors
FacesDir=/home/rocky/

FacesDir parameter is the one to be added... Login screen will then show all avatar for all users that have their pictures in the specified directory.
Thanks rocky. I've experimented with this in one of my Maui VMs first, rather than deploy immediately onto my "real" Maui. Sadly though my logon screen remains stubbornly free of my nominated PNG avatar pic. I created the file moi.face.icon, plonked it in /home/moi/, added that new line to /etc/sddm.conf, then logged out [still no pic], so then rebooted [still no good]. I'm assuming i have stuffed up the permissions for the file? I am not very good with CLI, & always gravitate to GUI if possible. This is how i did it; does not seem to correlate with your rw-r--r--, but i didn't see any more options. Suspect i'm going to need to learn how to do it in CLI... unless i made some different kind of error...
[attachment=1122]
Pages: 1 2 3 4