Maui Forums

Full Version: No avatars on login screens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
First in the home directory the file needs to be /.face not moi.face.icon and should be hidden, then there should also be a /.face.icon file that is a symlink to /.face. Your home folder, as well as the file would need to be viewable by SDDM.
In this case:
Code:
$ chmod o+x ~/
$ chmod o+r ~/.face.icon
Both of these files should be what is created by user manager when you give it your graphic for your user, however these permissions are not set by default. KDM actually had the same issue way back when.

The other option would be to put the moi.face.icon file you created under /usr/share/sddm/faces/ which is the default directory for SDDM to look. As long as the file name matches the users name it will use this one by default.
Thanks AJ. I tried "The other option" first; it did not make any improvement upon logout/in [so i then deleted the file again from /usr/share/sddm/faces/].

Re your first suggestion [which ironically meant reverting to the file status i'd originally found therein prior to trying rocky's idea], after the chmoding i logged out, & finally then saw the avatars on the login screen. Did you notice my plural? In my VM i have more than one account, & they all now show the same avatar! Ha, oh well, it never rains but it pours, as the old saying goes.
Strange, that should only effect the user in which those commands were run by them in their own home directory.
I typically only have one user per machine, but I will add a second user and try this out tomorrow on one of my test systems.
(14th December 2016, 7:37)kdemeoz Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks AJ. I tried "The other option" first; it did not make any improvement upon logout/in [so i then deleted the file again from /usr/share/sddm/faces/].

Re your first suggestion [which ironically meant reverting to the file status i'd originally found therein prior to trying rocky's idea], after the chmoding i logged out, & finally then saw the avatars on the login screen. Did you notice my plural? In my VM i have more than one account, & they all now show the same avatar! Ha, oh well, it never rains but it pours, as the old saying goes.

Regarding avatars, maybe you forgot to remove the FacesDir parameter from the /etc/sddm.conf? So it takes the same avatar from you home dir for all users...?
(14th December 2016, 6:07)AJSlye Wrote: [ -> ]First in the home directory the file needs to be /.face not moi.face.icon and should be hidden, then there should also be a /.face.icon file that is a symlink to /.face. Your home folder, as well as the file would need to be viewable by SDDM.
In this case:

Code:
$ chmod o+x ~/
$ chmod o+r ~/.face.icon
Both of these files should be what is created by user manager when you give it your graphic for your user, however these permissions are not set by default. KDM actually had the same issue way back when.

The other option would be to put the moi.face.icon file you created under /usr/share/sddm/faces/ which is the default directory for SDDM to look. As long as the file name matches the users name it will use this one by default.

I've tried this as well, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. My home dir is 755 and both .face and .face.icon are 664. Just the .face.icon is not the symlink to the .face, but a copy of it, but that shouldn't matter. The only solution that works for me is using the <username>.face.icon and only when I set the FacesDir to my homedir - the default one doesn't work for me either.

To test this thoroughly, I changed the login shell for user sddm in /etc/passwd to /bin/bash, switched to user sddm, went into my home dir in CLI and did a cat for .face and .face.icon - both worked well. So the permission is 100% correct. And the file in a PNG file displayable by SDDM, since it works with FacesDir set with the same PNG picture.
(14th December 2016, 10:57)rocky7x Wrote: [ -> ]
(14th December 2016, 7:37)kdemeoz Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks AJ. I tried "The other option" first; it did not make any improvement upon logout/in [so i then deleted the file again from /usr/share/sddm/faces/].

Regarding avatars, maybe you forgot to remove the FacesDir parameter from the /etc/sddm.conf? So it takes the same avatar from you home dir for all users...?

Haha, you were spot-on; i had indeed forgotten to re-edit that file back to original [thanks]. Having done so now, i logged out of the VM & got... the same non-avatar login screen as was my status before i made my initial post in this thread [which isn't surprising, given the files' status are back to their original dispositions]. I think i'll give up on this [though i have been wondering if my /home being encrypted could be part of the problem? (presumably it does not get decrypted until i've logged in, in which case sddm presumably can't access the face files when needed at the login screen?)].
Yes, if your home partition is encrypted, of course it wouldn't be de-encrypted until after you log in.
It would be invisible to SDDM, no amount of permission changes would make any difference.
Ha, i imagine you thumped your desk & rolled your eyes in exasperation when you read that last bit of info i gave. Sorry -- i wasn't trying to be stupid, but i just seem to have a knack for it [actually, in truth i am so used to knowing my /home is encrypted (since installation) that sometimes i forget to mention it; also, in many other posts of mine i definitely have mentioned this, but i completely realise it's impossible for you & others to remember what i might have said in a different post, especially when you all support many users].

All that said however, i would have thought that one of your recent suggestions should have worked just fine for me, so it's weird it didn't --> "put the moi.face.icon file you created under /usr/share/sddm/faces/ which is the default directory for SDDM to look". I mean, it's only my /home that's encrypted, not the whole disk, so SDDM should have had no problem accessing & using the file i put there yesterday when i tested your idea.
I think there may be more than one issue though.
Was this before or after you had changed the FacesDir parameter in your /etc/sddm.conf file?
When you added moi.face.icon to /usr/share/sddm/faces, did you remember to change the ownership and permissions of the file to the system default values?
Code:
Owner (root) - read - write
Group - read
Others - read

Last but not least, is moi the user name you would type to log in via cli?
This usually matches your home directory name.
People whether you kidding? I read someone wrote that the system is designed for a single user. I wonder then why advertise Maiu login screen where images are more user?
Pages: 1 2 3 4