Maui Forums

Full Version: Jitsi Meet won't install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all , first good job on this Distro . There are a few hic-ups
but overall nice .
 I wanted to install Jitsi Meet but I get (cannot satisfy dependencies).
What must I do to get it installed .

Thank You , Northernfrog
We need more information.
What are the dependencies that are not satisfied?
Not sure as it dosent tell me . I go to this location ( https://download.jitsi.org/stable/ ) on Jitsi web site and download Jitsi meet , Ubuntu package that opens window for install after download but tells me Status: error: Cannot Satisfy Dependencies . Will try other method explained and will post results , hopefully more luck . I'll report soon
Thanks Northernfrog .
I just downloaded the jitsi-meet_1.0.1595-1_all.deb package from the link you gave, and took a look inside at the control file.
Here is the issue:
Code:
Depends: jitsi-videobridge (= 869-1), jicofo (= 1.0-319-1), jitsi-meet-web (= 1.0.1575-1), jitsi-meet-web-config (= 1.0.1575-1), jitsi-meet-prosody (= 1.0.1575-1)
You would need to also download these packages as well, and install them each in the right order.

Your best bet would be to use their repository so that the package manager can satisfy the dependency issue on it's own.

To manually add their stable repository and install jitsi-meet, use the following commands:
Code:
wget -qO - https://download.jitsi.org/jitsi-key.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo sh -c "echo 'deb https://download.jitsi.org stable/' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jitsi-stable.list"
sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get -y install jitsi-meet

There are also some jitsi deb files that configure this repository for you, but these have not been updated since 2015.
There is no guarantee that these will still work.
They are located at the bottom of the page (repo) you linked to as:
  • jitsi_2.8.5426-1_amd64.deb
  • jitsi_2.6.5390-1_i386.deb
  • jitsi_2.6.5390-1_amd64.deb
  • jitsi_2.5.5065-1_amd64.deb
  • jitsi_2.5-latest_amd64.deb
  • jitsi_2.5.5065-1_i386.deb
  • jitsi_2.5-latest_i386.deb
Hello , I installed following second method and have success . Worked ! Not sure if things went right as now on login screen there are 2 other login names . Not sure if this is correct . I did notice it installed in synaptic and is running as I noticed Instant Messaging in the Status and Notifications . Although it dosen't state Jitsi-meet it appears to be it . Now just need to set it up .
Is it normal to have the 2 other names at the login screen . ( jifico and another Jvb I think ) . Why they are there not sure .
My goal was to was to use instead of Skype . Not sure if I will though after this experience . Wondering if others need to install Jitsi-meet to comunicate with me , or if the can use the IM there using .
Problem is Family and friends would never switch if it this difficult to install and use .
Qtox seems much easier and user friendly as a Skype replacement right now .
Anyways again thank you ! and now how to mark thread as solved .
Thank you so much for the help and promp assistance . Northernfrog
To mark the thread solved just add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the original posts title.
As far as the extra two users, I'm not sure. I've never actually tried jitsi, or even used skype for that matter.
I'm sure you can probably hide them from within the SDDM KCM (KDE Control Module).