Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] - Shutter, SysTray, & focus.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As i'd earlier written elsewhere https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread....3#pid39703 my default screen capture & editing pgm is Shutter. I discovered it back when i still used Mint 17.x KDE4, & of course i installed it again early-on after upgrading to Maui. Shutter in general works very well for me but in Maui [or maybe the cause is specifically Plasma5, or maybe it's Ubuntu 16.04 ???] it has one idiosyncrasy of which i'm not at all fond. Are there any other Shutter users here who might comment?

This quirk is that when S is running but minimised to the SysTray, & i need to make it reappear on my current desktop to use it for something, i can't just left-click it [nothing happens - ok then there's 2 quirks, coz that is not the one i intended to post about] but instead need to right-click its icon & select "Show main window" from atop its context menu, then... if my desktop was empty i will see S immediately. In reality my 9 VDs of my active Activity are rarely all empty, albeit individual ones might be from time to time. So, if my active VD is already populated with one or more pgms whose collective windows are entirely covering the desktop, S emerges from the SysTray behind all these other windows, not on top of them. As such, almost everytime i try to bring S back up from the SysTray, i experience a momentary misapprehension that my click didn't work, coz i knew i expected to see S appear but didn't, before i metaphorically slap my forehead again & tell myself "oh yeah, that's right, S always does this", & then i find its icon in the bottom bar's Task Manager, click it there, & then finally i have S before me & ready to use.

In my thinking this is undesirable behaviour -- surely when i restore a pgm from SysTray, it should be instantly accessible/visible, not hidden by any other window. Is there a Maui/Plasma setting controlling this that i've apparently missed?

Edit -- hmmm, it seems S is not the only pgm to do this. I just restored TeamViewer from the SysTray, to my active VD whose background/wallpaper is already 100% obscured by two running active pgms. The TV GUI, just like S, did not come to "the top of the pile" & get focus [& thus my visual attention], but remained hidden behind the other windows on the VD. I had to hunt & peck for it via its icon in the bottom bar's Task Manager.  
It sounds like you need to take a look at the focus stealing prevention in the window behavior settings. (see systemsettings)
Oh brilliant, reverting it to "None" now has cured this unwanted behaviour. I'd adjusted it to "Medium" a long time ago, but never properly understood it. Thanks !