Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] - Desktop icons glitch (plasama 5.8.4)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

how can i fix this desktop icons glitch?
Its not linked with plasam version i think.
I had this issue earlier.
This seems to be a driver issue with the proprietary nvidia graphics driver in combination with your card. Try disabling effects to see if it helps or changing the compositor opengl settings.
It happens to me very frequently, especially after Resuming from Sleep [Cairo-Dock suffers from the same problem]. My routine workaround [it does not solve the root cause, but it quickly & easily  "fixes" the symptom, til next time] is to "disturb" the affected graphical elements.

For Cairo-Dock, i move it from the screen top to the side [which instantly repaints all the icon images properly], then immediately move it back to the top.

For the desktop icons, i have them locked, so all i do is select them all, grab them & drag a few mm, then let go. Because they're locked, they instantly snap back to their correct positions, all nicely repainted.

It's irritating that this happens, but i am not willing to stop using the Nvidia driver in favour of Nouveau, as i like having all the eye-candy that the proprietary driver gives me for desktop effects. Changing the Compositing from OpenGL 3.1 to 2.0, or vice versa, has never helped, & i am unwilling to devolve to XRender for the same reason as i gave for the driver. Anyway, my workarounds take only a few seconds to do.

EDIT - 4/Feb/17:   I rescind the [now] "strike-through" text in the preceding paragraph. I recently did change back to Nouveau, & my previous text is now known to be WRONG. Furthermore, in the context of this thread, an added bonus has been that now, after each Suspend - Resume, no longer are Cairo-Dock & my desktop icons garbled; they stay good. Cool. 
(16th January 2017, 14:47)kdemeoz Wrote: [ -> ]For the desktop icons, i have them locked, so all i do is select them all, grab them & drag a few mm, then let go. Because they're locked, they instantly snap back to their correct positions, all nicely repainted.

Thx for your advise. It works Smile. Maybe u r right with this "sleep mode", because i never turn off my computer.
Later i will try with opengl compositor like u and "leszek" said.
Hi, its have been 2 weeks after i've switched my compositor form opengl 2 to opengl 3.1 and this solved my problem permanently.
Added an EDIT to my earlier post, to correct an error & provide another option to OP.