Maui Forums

Full Version: (Solved) How I can remove safely old kernels ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I always take the updates with the update manager and I avoid the sudo apt-get update / dist-upgrade commands. I also avoid the sudo apt-get autoremove command !
I notice that there are many old kernels in the disk and I think that one-two older kernel packages are useful (the user can boot with an older kernel) but, I assume that all these older kernels keeping in the disk are not useful... To the contrary , some day all these kernel packages in a semi-rolling OS may cause a disk capacity issue (for a specific disk partition) and a system failure too.
So...I think I have to remove some old kernels with safety but I don't know how to do it .
Perhaps , packagers can examine the feasibility for automatic deletion of older kernel packages by the update manager application.
Any help please ?
Thanks.
Best Regards !
Hi, I do it by going into Synaptic and cleaning all kernels that get into Autoremove section. This way I end up always with 2 kernels: current and one version before.
Hi,

@fanisatt,

why do not you use the command

Code:
sudo apt-get autormove

i had so far no problems with it ?
@rocky7x
Thank you rocky , I did it as you said with synaptic and after this I run sudo update-grub .
@ XC-DH_Oldie
Thank you for the response !
I read that sometimes it is not safe to use this command.
There are many references out there about bad situations after autoremove...
So , I had to ask !!
Best Regards !
Well in all years of my Linux experience I have never ever encountered a problem with autoremove Wink honestly, apt has never got me into trouble, on the contrary it always got me out of trouble Smile
(2nd March 2017, 21:26)Rocky7x Wrote: [ -> ]Well in all years of my Linux experience I have never ever encountered a problem with autoremove Wink honestly, apt has never got me into trouble, on the contrary it always got me out of trouble Smile

Oh yes I understand your spirit and I agree but ....
Years and years as a Mint user and sometimes as a Debian stable user I was working safely with apt-get for the updates .
Here in MAUI I understood that it is better for me (a simple user) to get the updates with the update manager ! I have already read some articles about the differences and the advantages for a non experienced in Linux commands user.
I also use PCLINUX OS , a KDE semi-rolling distro and the normal / official update procedure there requires the exclusive use of synaptic  - generally the use of apt-get update / dist-upgrade commands is not the correct way (according to the official instructions) !!!
It is not so peculiar that nowadays things have changed in Linux and the Operating Systems are designed to be attractive , safe and simple for any computer user !
This is the reason I don't use any more the autoremove command , because it belongs to my responsibility !!
But , how responsible may be someone for things he doesn't know well ?

Good night !!