Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] - Weird Temporary Network Failure.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

Something very weird just happened within the last hour, on my Tower [ethernet cable connection direct to modem].
  1. I had been online for hours as usual, all was fine [& Maui/Tower has been performing nicely for quite a while now, after my previous dramas per other posts].
  2. Suddenly i lost all internet access.
  3. Glancing at my modem, i saw that its Internet LED had gone off, & after a few seconds, so did its DSL LED.
  4. Soon after this, the DSL LED came on again, & a little later, also the Internet LED was back.
  5. I was irritated but not alarmed at the interruption, [falsely] assuming it had been a momentary blip by my ISP.
  6. However i found that Tower continued to have no internet access [not via browser, & neither in Konsole pinging 8.8.8.8]
  7. I ran my bash script to refresh Maui's network connection. This gave every indication of success [as is usual for it], but i still had no internet access.
  8. I power-cycled the modem [twice], & did more script-refreshes of the network manager... still no good.
  9. I contacted my ISP to report the fault. They said there was no problem at their end, & tried to get me to do all the things that i had already told them i had done [why don't they ever listen?]
  10. At this point the telephone connection dropped out whilst they had me on hold [grrr]. Before i called them back, i decided to test the internet connection independent of Maui & Tower. I grabbed my Android tablet, started its WiFi connection to my modem, & was shocked to see that it immediately connected & went online. 
  11. Realising that this proved the fault was not my ISP, but something with Tower / Maui, I rebooted Tower.
  12. Internet connectivity was once again ok, after logging in.

This left me feeling very embarrassed with my ISP, once i realised the fault lay with Maui & not them (i even rang them back to apologise]. 

Any ideas for this weird occurrence pls? WHY did Maui get so confused when the modem briefly lost its DSL connection, & then WHY did my usual refresh of network connectivity not help (it usually does]? WHY was a reboot then the necessary nuclear option?
You'll have a difficult time convincing me there are *not* some sort of bugs remaining in NetworkManager.

For a while, I had to disconnect from my router before closing a laptop running Maui (and before that, flavors of Netrunner).  Otherwise, NetworkManager would fail to awake upon reopening the laptop.

I'd fix it with
Code:
sudo killall NetworkManager

followed by

Code:
sudo NetworkManager

and all was well again.

But Maui 2.0 (I think) fixed that bug.  A certain ISP based in Philadelphia, PA, still wants to boot me off when I travel to visit family, even though all the hardware recognizes the passwords, etc.  Sigh.
Dagnabbit. Curious, i tried your
Code:
sudo killall NetworkManager
sudo NetworkManager

& promptly lost my connection. I reverted to my usual bash script, whose primary line is
Code:
sudo systemctl restart network-manager

but like my earlier post, this uncharacteristically did not regain my connectivity. Also unable to help were [& i know this is obsolete, being for Upstart not SystemD]
Code:
sudo service network-manager restart

&
Code:
sudo systemctl restart network-manager.service

Hence, annoyed all over again, i knew of no other steps i could take, so i rebooted again. As per my initial post, everything was good again after that, but i remain confused/irritated that something has changed / come out of nowhere, that has altered what used to be normal Network Manager behaviour for me.

I checked Update Manager's recent history, but cannot see any recent changes that should be relevant here:
[attachment=1248]

Sigh.
Hi,

When this happens, sometimes "hardware reset" approach is needed (happens to me as well with wi-fi, though very rarely lately):
1. in case of LAN connection, pull out and plug in the LAN cable back
2. in case of wi-fi, use the hardware switch on laptop to disable and then enable the wi-fi hardware

Together with the Network manager restart it always works for me, I never had to reboot for this.
Ah. Thanks Rocky. Options - i like to have options, & now you've given me one to try, before needing to reboot. "Next time", i shall try this.

I must confess though that i'm unsure why me removing & reinserting the ethernet cable might work, when even the complete power-cycle of the modem still didn't make Maui N/M come good again.
(21st April 2017, 10:38)rocky7x Wrote: [ -> ]... sometimes "hardware reset" approach is needed ...
1. in case of LAN connection, pull out and plug in the LAN cable back

This morning when i woke up Tower, Network Manager didn't want to get out of bed & play. I was in a rush, so thought this was a fine time to try your brute-force method. Hence... cable out, cable in, hello internet once more!

Thank you. Thread now marked as Solved.