Maui Forums

Full Version: Thunderbird 52
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,

First of I'd like to say been a fan of maui since it was netrunner (the kubuntu derived one) and netrunner rolling.

So far Maui has been my os of choice since I am first and foremost a devout KDE follower (the first iterations of KDE 5.x were a bit hard to follow).

Everything works fantastically (except after first install / was writeable, every other sub folder had the correct permissions but just changed the permission to / , non-recursively, and everything's fine and dandy).

One of the tools I really need is thunderbird (kmail looks to be dead in the water and Kube has a long way to go) and while Thunderbird 45 (from plasmazilla) works well, I am wondering when will plasmazilla have Thunderbird 52 as it fixes several critical security flaws still present in Thunderbird 45.

Thanks again and wonderful work guys.
We will take a look into it. Eta for now is getting thunderbird 52 ready until the end of month.
(24th May 2017, 9:36)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]We will take a look into it. Eta for now is getting thunderbird 52 ready until the end of month.

Thank you for the confirmation
Thunderbird 52 is now available in plasmazilla for Maui and all xenial based distros.
(29th May 2017, 12:30)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Thunderbird 52 is now available in plasmazilla for Maui and all xenial based distros.

Hi, thanks, yes. I got the update an hour or two ago. It's kinda nice but also kinda frustrating. 
1. It broke Lightning again, so i had to install the new Lightning version myself. Not difficult, but not a smooth experience having to manually intervene, rather than the repo taking care of it as part of the update.
2. The previous TB correctly respected my Plasma desktop theming/colours, when "Default" Appearance was set. The new TB now ignores my personal settings, & just uses the drab standard boring GTK grey colours. 
Quote:1. It broke Lightning again, so i had to install the new Lightning version myself. Not difficult, but not a smooth experience having to manually intervene, rather than the repo taking care of it as part of the update.
Lightning is part of thunderbird now. So I would recommend removing the addon installed manually and using our package xul-ext-lightning. This assures no breakage as this package is built everytime we build a new thunderbird package. (This has been stated already here: https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24041)

Quote:2. The previous TB correctly respected my Plasma desktop theming/colours, when "Default" Appearance was set. The new TB now ignores my personal settings, & just uses the drab standard boring GTK grey colours.
Upstream changed theme handling again (in sync with the firefox 52 theme changes). Though in my tests I did not see any completely different/broken theme using the default theme we provide.
(29th May 2017, 12:52)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:1. It broke Lightning again, so i had to install the new Lightning version myself. Not difficult, but not a smooth experience having to manually intervene, rather than the repo taking care of it as part of the update.
Lightning is part of thunderbird now. So I would recommend removing the addon installed manually and using our package xul-ext-lightning. This assures no breakage as this package is built everytime we build a new thunderbird package. (This has been stated already here: https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24041)

Yep, i know you posted about it before, & indeed i did install that package back then. Why didn't it work for me? All i can tell you is that after doing the new update today, TB launched without Lightning. The only way i could see to get my Calendar & Tasks back was to do what i told you. Having now read your reply, i removed Lightning from TB, closed TB, opened Synaptic, reinstalled package xul-ext-lightning, relaunched TB ... still no Lightning!!

What should i do now pls? Maybe remove TB entirely then reinstall it?

(29th May 2017, 12:52)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:2. The previous TB correctly respected my Plasma desktop theming/colours, when "Default" Appearance was set. The new TB now ignores my personal settings, & just uses the drab standard boring GTK grey colours. 
Upstream changed theme handling again (in sync with the firefox 52 theme changes). Though in my tests I did not see any completely different/broken theme using the default theme we provide.

Well, it [TB] doesn't respect my Plasma theme here now. Interestingly i now discovered this cool Add-In, Theme Font & Size Changer, & i'm happy enough with what it's done for me. 
Quote:What should i do now pls? Maybe remove TB entirely then reinstall it?
Can you temporarily create a new thunderbird profile and see if it is shown there even when not manually installed and only available via package?
Execute the following to create and switch to a new profile
Code:
thunderbird --ProfileManager
Excellent idea. This test profile does show Lightning just fine.

Also, i have noticed this anomaly in my currently-troublesome "real" TB profile: despite me attempting a couple of hours ago to manually remove my manually-installed Lightning add-in, i can see now that it's only Disabled [ie, still present], & it now has NO "Remove" button. I'm currently suspecting that this is "jamming" the integrated package for Lightning, so i suspect the key to this will be to somehow eliminate that pesky add-in. However, there's no remove button, as i said...
You could try manually removing the extension from the hidden ~/.thunderbird profile folder.
Pages: 1 2