Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] Using sudoedit in Maui.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I took Neon (Plasma 10.1) for a test ride and you now have to use suodedit to open root files in Kwrite. I really like it more than kdesudo and I would like to use it it in Maui. Is there a way to make it work?

I tried using the SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit <file> and kate sudoedit commands (in Maui), but it doesn't work.

TIA
Not sure what Plasma 10.1 is but nevertheless. Here is the correct way

Code:
EDITOR=kate sudoedit <file>
(3rd June 2017, 14:27)"leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure what Plasma 10.1 is but nevertheless. Here is the correct way

Code:
EDITOR=kate sudoedit <file>

Sorry leszek, Neon is using Plasma 5.10 and the splash screen they use says Plasma 10.1. Kind of got confused. Confused

I found a solution over on the LinuxMint forums that worked for me.
Posted in an older post by user xenopeek: 

Code:
SUDO_EDITOR='kate -b'

sudoedit is configured on Linux Mint to use nano as the text editor by default. nano is a text editor you use on the terminal, in Konsole, and isn't the friendliest if you are accustomed to Kate. The first part of the command was an override, it tells sudoedit to use Kate as your text editor. The -b option to kate makes kate wait till you are done editing the file, something that sudoedit needs.

You can also make this the default behavior by editing your .bashrc file (if you don't know where it is, use the command 
Code:
kate ~/.bashrc
 to edit it) and adding the following line to the end of the file:

Code:
export SUDO_EDITOR='kate -b'

Now whenever you need to edit a file in a system directory you can just use the command 
Code:
sudoedit file
 and you will edit the file in Kate.