Maui Forums

Full Version: Kde Updates?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Will Maui 17.03 get updated to newer versions of Kde?

I don't really want a fully rolling release and am very happy with Maui out of the box, but I thought Maui would update as newer versions became available and tested for stability (by the Maui team). At least that's what I was hoping for.  Big Grin  

I ticked the boxes for the maui/kabuntu and maui/neon backport repositories in Software Sources, then checked in Synaptic Package Manager and Update Manager. I see no difference in what is available.

Sorry if this is a noob question but I thought that's what the "part rolling" aspect of Maui was about.

FWIW: I have tested Neon (User addition) and it works fine but it's to cutting edge for me.

Thanks for your patience.    
Plasma 5.10.1 is currently in our neon-testing repo. We are working on Maui 17.06 currently. When this is ready the newer plasma version it uses will get in backports-neon.
So please be a bit patient Smile
I'm kind of new to Kde and totally new to semi rolling releases.

Just to clarify, does that mean that 17.03 will automatically update to 17.06?

And thanks for the superb distro!
We don't do automatic updates for the normal system install. You need to have backports and backports-neon activated to get the latest stuff. Otherwise you will stay on whatever we shipped in Maui 17.03.
Backports and Backports-Neon provide the latest 'snapshot' of Maui. Maui releases like 17.03 are basically a ISO build reflecting the current state of development in Maui itself.
However when we do changes in the default applications that we ship in a new Maui release (on ISO) you may need to install them manually as upgrading with backports and backports-neon will only take care mostly about packages already installed.
Hope that helps Smile
Thanks for the clarification.

One more question Angel , Will you announce on the forum when 17.04 is ready (to keep up with what's new)? I don't see a place for announcements.
We usually announce new versions on our homepage.
Cool
(12th June 2017, 20:08)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]However when we do changes in the default applications that we ship in a new Maui release (on ISO) you may need to install them manually as upgrading with backports and backports-neon will only take care mostly about packages already installed.
Hope that helps Smile

Heehee, i'm glad that someone else asked about the next Plasma update, coz i'm aware of Neon's status, & 5.10.1 in the Maui testing repo... but i did not want to be the one to ask. :-) 

However, regarding your quoted text above, once you advise us on the website of the new version [& yes i do have the "ordinary" backports enabled (but not the testing ones)], will you also pls tell us which existing packages are the ones we'll need to update manually ourselves... otherwise there's no way for us to know, unless we download the new 17.06 ISO & then do a painful side by side comparison with 17.03 [which would be silly]? 
(13th June 2017, 2:19)kdemeoz Wrote: [ -> ]... otherwise there's no way for us to know, unless we download the new 17.06 ISO & then do a painful side by side comparison with 17.03 [which would be silly]? 

Good idea, this is exactly what I was thinking we would have to do. A "what's new in Maui 17.x" feature would be nice.
Usually the announcements of a new version mention changes and new applications.
Pages: 1 2