Maui Forums

Full Version: Root action
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It seems no more possible to open dolphin as root. How to put new directory in /usr/share/theme by example ?

Huh
SM
It is possible still, but i had to fight with it a bit after i upgraded my 17.03 to 17.06. Despite Root Actions Service Menu still being installed in Dolphin, the upgrade seemed to stop it working. I found that if i removed it then reinstalled it, it worked fine again.

[attachment=1280]
(12th July 2017, 8:36)kdemeoz Wrote: [ -> ]It is possible still, but i had to fight with it a bit after i upgraded my 17.03 to 17.06. Despite Root Actions Service Menu still being installed in Dolphin, the upgrade seemed to stop it working. I found that if i removed it then reinstalled it, it worked fine again.

Tried but not for me, I use a fresh install of 17.06
Sad
Best workaround I found, is to install konqueror and to call it for an apllication under root.
Sad 
SM
Like the upstream KDE project says it is not advised to run a filemanager as root.
There are plans for moving/copying (dolphin) and saving (kate) files to root locations to use policykit in the future.
To edit a configuration file with kate for example you can use sudoedit.

You can call it like this for example:
Code:
EDITOR=kate sudoedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

As for the root action service menu. This needs of course an update for it to work with pkexec instead of kdesudo or some other graphical sudo application. I am currently taking a look at their code to see if I can make it work with pkexec.

Update: Noticed that we already patched root actions to work with pkexec. Though of course kate or dolphin can't open be open even with this. So if you need to copy/move/remove files as root activate the entries for this in the service menu to do so. It will then use pkexec to copy/move/remove files Smile
would there be a set of instructions from the team, to enable us newbies to try and get it working. I do not use it that often.
(12th July 2017, 11:19)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Update: Noticed that we already patched root actions to work with pkexec. Though of course kate or dolphin can't open be open even with this. So if you need to copy/move/remove files as root activate the entries for this in the service menu to do so. It will then use pkexec to copy/move/remove files Smile

So Leszek, if I understand in the context menu (right clic) I can use the entry copy, move... to /directories. I have these entries activated but when I want to copy to any /directory the "copy here" is not active.
I miss something ?
If you activate in the service configuration of dolphin the move and copy options you will need to choose those entries from the root actions submenu in the contextmenu. It will then ask for a target directory or file. You must then enter or drag and drop the filename in there.
(12th July 2017, 13:00)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]If you activate in the service configuration of dolphin the move and copy options you will need to choose those entries from the root actions submenu in the contextmenu. It will then ask for a target directory or file. You must then enter or drag and drop the filename in there.

Here a screenshot of the service menu, all are activated, but none correspond to moving or copying files
Pages: 1 2