Maui Forums

Full Version: Please don't dump Maui Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I recently found in the Maui forum the sad news that it won’t be a future release of the maybe best Linux distribution I ever used.

I really don’t understand why that could be possible.
You gave us two options, using KDE Neon or Netrunner, but I can tell you those options are not so good like Maui and I have experience with the 3 of them.
I have 2 computers right now, one desktop and one laptop. In the Laptop I had installed KDE Neon and I had the problem that the machine went overheat and the fans worked on high power, I didn’t know why, then I change to Maui and this problem dissappear, I have a silence laptop working really fine.
On the desktop I wanted to use the most stable distribution I could find, so I started with Slackware because of its good name but after a lot of work configuring all the system I got problems with instalation of software, so I dumped Slackware.
Next I tried Opensuse Leap because of the very good reputation and it was a desaster in this computer.
Then I decided to make double boot and install Maui Linux in one partition and Netrunner (Debian) inthe second.
Maui was the best sorprise ever, this OS works like charm at the first moment, we don’t need to lose hours and hours of configurations, everthig works perfect.
Netrunner in the other hand is fast so good but it don’t move so smooth like Maui, the graphics aren’t so good and some software don’t works that good like in Maui, for example Firefox is really slow, too slow would I say.

After the discovering of Maui Linux I talked a lot about this great distribution in many spanish Linux and KDE groups and some people listened to me and they installed Maui and they  had the same good experience like me. Other people said “I don’t trust in those tiny distributions, they dissappear with the time an let the users hang up” and you know what? THEY WERE RIGHT!!!!

I really don’t get it, why to dump the best KDE distribution? People like me and the other Maui users don’t want to lose time installing and configuring everthing in KDE Neon, Maui makes a perfect configuation of everything. I would never get this quality making it by myself in KDE Neon, I don't want to, I don't have time and the times when I was a computer-freaky when I wanted to learn everything about computers are in the past away for me.
Some prefer the work behind Ubuntu from the work behind of Debian because it is really easy to install a non-Linux software becase they have allways a .DEB for Ubuntu (sometimes those installers doesn’t work on Debian).

I am not the only one whi think like this, did you read this review of dedoimedo?
[/url][url=https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/maui-2-1-blue-tang.html]https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/maui-2-1-blue-tang.html
where other distributions failed, Maui got a qualification of 9/10, better that Opensuse, Debian and others more “Stable” distributions.
Or this other review in spanish:
https://colaboratorio.net/enrique/gnulinux/2017/maui-linux-2-entre-kubuntu-y-kde-neon/
again aone of the best qualifications, and yes, the autor made this review because of me and all what I said to him about Maui Smile
or this review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apNvcjqaB5U

Sorry for thi long entrance, I am really sad and disappointed with all this theme.
Exactly my thoughts, Maui is the best Linux distro I have come across since 2006, when I started my Linux adventure. Best from not just KDE distros, but best overall from everything I tried that runs a Linux kernel. So it will be a great loss for the Linux world...
Coincido contigo jairlebentz Wink
En los años que llevo en linux, Maui ha sido la mejor distribución con KDE que he probado, realmente sorprendente. Una pena si la decisión de no continuación, sigue adelante...
------------
I agree with you jairlebentzWink
In the years that I have been in Linux, Maui has been the best distribution with KDE that I have tried, really surprising. A pity if the decision of not continuing, goes ahead ...
I agree. I got used to Maui after having to move from Netrunner when it was Kubuntu based. I do not like the Debian Netrunner at all.

Now Maui is going I am not happy at all

Mark
That really would be very bad. In MAUI, I have found stability, efficiency and it is my main distro even on known distros and very renowned.
For a long time, I do not touch any configuration in MAUI because it is not necessary. From the first day I installed, and with all the updates, it has never been damaged or given problems.
I still installed things and it works perfectly.
Neither Mint KDE or Kubuntu come to be compared with MAUI.
It would be a step back to eliminate this distro.
(26th November 2017, 2:44)santy77 Wrote: [ -> ]That really would be very bad. In MAUI, I have found stability, efficiency and it is my main distro even on known distros and very renowned.
For a long time, I do not touch any configuration in MAUI because it is not necessary. From the first day I installed, and with all the updates, it has never been damaged or given problems.
I still installed things and it works perfectly.
Neither Mint KDE or Kubuntu come to be compared with MAUI.
It would be a step back to eliminate this distro.

That is a point. I installed Maui in this computer last year july-August and have never touched anything on the configuration. From the first day until today (more than a year) I have never had a single problem.
I can't say the same with other distros or Desktops I had used before.
Maui is the only one distro from the Linux world that can be show like an easy an stable alternative to MacOS.
That's right. I've been linux a few years, not many, maybe about 6, 7 or 8 years, I do not remember. In these last days / weeks I think I have tried more distros than in these years, some less known, others well known, and I guess some more I'll try (I need more computers to try more at once Smile).
Maui from the first moment, it was really amazing. Stability, programs, performance ... it's really not good, it's much more than good. The team behind Maui is also excellent. I wish I could follow Maui ...
(26th November 2017, 21:21)wonder Wrote: [ -> ]That's right. I've been linux a few years, not many, maybe about 6, 7 or 8 years, I do not remember. In these last days / weeks I think I have tried more distros than in these years, some less known, others well known, and I guess some more I'll try (I need more computers to try more at once Smile).
Maui from the first moment, it was really amazing. Stability, programs, performance ... it's really not good, it's much more than good. The team behind Maui is also excellent. I wish I could follow Maui ...

Agree 1000%
Hi all. I loved Maui from the moment i tried it last year. Sadly 17.06 was a disappointment for me, so i moved on in June this year, to openSUSE Tumbleweed. Its Plasma5 performance is wonderful, & i'm very pleased to have given myself the [very big] learning curve needed to come to terms with a non Debian-based distro [my first]. However i confess to feeling a sense of ongoing nervousness about potentially borking my system [its repos management & system updates are slightly trepidatious for me]. My Tower still runs TW KDE & is still [touch wood] giving me a fabbo Plasma5 experience, but i've very recently moved Lappy on again. After a brief, intense & rapidly disastrous experiment with KDE Neon on it [excellent in my detailed preliminary testing in a Tower VM, excellent on Lappy running Live from USB, horrible horrible blah once i'd installed it fully configured & loaded it up with my stuff, then it went bananas], yesterday i put Manjaro KDE on it [having first intensively tested it in another Tower VM]. I am really impressed with it.

Summary:   The demise of Maui is very sad, but if anyone's interested, you could do worse than have a look at Manjaro KDE.
I didn't see this announcement. This is sad news indeed. I actually came from a Debian based distro to Maui. Ubuntu based distros seem to get a bad rep in Debian based forums, but I found Maui to be excellent. It got great reviews everytime it was reviewed too. I never understood why it didn't catch on more. I think part of the problem was that it worked so well the forums were too quiet. People thought nobody was using Maui so they moved on. It will be shame to see it go. I think there is a real need for a solid Neon based Plasma desktop. Especially now with Mint dropping KDE.
Pages: 1 2 3