Maui Forums
[Solved] - My 1st Maui REISUB. - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: [Solved] - My 1st Maui REISUB. (/showthread.php?tid=24001)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - kdemeoz - 8th October 2016

I'm unsure how much more "Maui Excitement" my nerves can take. Only a few minutes after sending my previous post, i was changing from my browser on one VD to another pgm on a different VD, by clicking its Task Bar icon. As i did this, Maui "exploded". There was a flash [which i think in retrospect was the compositor deactivating & all my windows from all my VDs being abruptly shunted onto a single VD], & i was faced with parts of various running pgm windows, a mouse which would still move but couldn't click anything, a keyboard that wouldn't respond, but [as i also originally posted] the bloody internet music still happily streaming away. Given nothing important now worked, i had to REISUB again [so at least that did work]. The drama was not yet over; once the reboot was finished & i'd logged in again, there was still no compositing, & Maui was clearly still unhappy. I rebooted, but still no compositing, so i went into System Settings & found a nasty error message therein about compositing having been disabled due to previous crashes, & would i like it to attempt OpenGL detection again? of course i said yes, & that brings me to here now. It seems to be behaving normally again, but i'm sorry to say i have a pretty low level of confidence with Maui now. Some work i was doing when Maui exploded has been lost, & i need to calm myself enough to try to recall what i'd written, & what i was going to do after that, then redo it all.

There's an irony here, & an example of karma biting me. On the same night that my Maui updated to Plasma 5.8.0 [but before all the problems began] i made a teasing post on the Mint KDE forum [where i'm active] boasting that Maui has now gone to 5.8.0 even though Mint's still stuck on 5.6.5. Since then, of course, karma has been constantly wreaking revenge on me. Don't i feel the silly goose.

I have to hope [desperately] that Plasma 5.8.1 is going to be a much happier experience for me, otherwise i fear i might have to reconsider my options.

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - leszek - 8th October 2016

Regarding 5. It's the responsibility of the application what to do when it is started a second time. The autostart just executes the application and does not close anything.

This all sounds to me like an issue with your graphicsdriver.
Did you try switching the OpenGL version used by the compositor?
Maybe turning it off completely helps.

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - kdemeoz - 8th October 2016

(8th October 2016, 8:23)leszek Wrote: This all sounds to me like an issue with your graphicsdriver.
Did you try switching the OpenGL version used by the compositor?
Maybe turning it off completely helps.

Sorry but i don't think i understand your advice. 

"Did you try switching the OpenGL version used by the compositor?" --> Do you mean in System Settings - Workspace Behaviour - Compositor? If yes, my choices there [for "Rendering backend"] are simply OpenGL 2.0 [= my current setting], OpenGL 3.1 [which i used initially after originally installing Maui, until i changed it to 2.0 as we all discussed here https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=23982&pid=39439#pid39439 ], or XRender [which basically means important Desktop Effects stop working, meaning there's not much point me persisting with KDE].

"Maybe turning it off completely helps" --> how do i do this? Do you mean selecting XRender? Maybe i'm looking at the wrong place in Settings? Either way, gaining system stability [if that worked] at the expense of losing my Desktop Effects is a price i can't pay. Without DE, KDE loses a large amount of relevance to me, inferring i could just replace Maui with Mint 18 Xfce+Compiz

((EDIT)) My apologies, i just tried XRender now, & all my DE seem to still work, except for Desktop Cube. That's a pity, but not mission-critical compared to ongoing functionality of Present Windows, Desktop Grid, Show Desktop etc. I'll try it this way for a while & see if the crashes go away. I have to say though... this is the identical h/w which til recently ran Mint 17.3 KDE4, & used OpenGL 3.1 compositing, & did NOT have all these crashes. 

((EDIT2)) Oh dear, without OpenGL, i also lose Wobbly Windows as well as the Cube. It gets sadder & sadder...

Yeah but as KWin in Plasma 5 uses more OpenGL Features of the graphicscard it might be a broken driver will crash it.
Broken drivers are mostly the cause for these crashes.

Try to see if xrender works OK for you otherwise you can deactivate Effects with Alt+Shift+F12 like always.

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - rocky7x - 8th October 2016

Heh, never piss off karma Wink it will always get back on you Wink hopefully this little mess will get resolved quickly...

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - kdemeoz - 9th October 2016

(8th October 2016, 12:37)leszek Wrote: Yeah but as KWin in Plasma 5 uses more OpenGL Features of the graphicscard it might be a broken driver will crash it.
Broken drivers are mostly the cause for these crashes.

Try to see if xrender works OK for you otherwise you can deactivate Effects with Alt+Shift+F12 like always.

As previously explained, running with no Desktop Effects at all is not an acceptable choice for me -- at that point the justification for me staying with a KDE distro dramatically shrinks.

I'm interested in your mention of possible broken drivers. As the pic shows, theoretically i'm using the recommended & latest NVidia one, even though for reasons i cannot understand [despite your earlier kind attempt to explain to me] why the Driver Manager persists in selecting the Nouveau one. Are you implying therefore that the NVidia 370.28 might be defective? If so, would that further imply that maybe i should sequentially experiment with the 367.44, then 364.19, then 361.45.18 etc, until i find one with which using OpenGL 2.0 or 3.1 does not keep crashing KWin / Plasmashell?

Further, can the kernel be a factor here? All this time i've been using the latest one available in the repo, = 4.4.0-38. Should i begin trying older kernels?

EDIT - UPDATE:   OMZ this is exasperating! Less than 60 seconds after sending this post in its original form, KWin crashed AGAIN [already a few this morning, & several last night]. That's with me using [since last night] only XRender not either OpenGL. I am now about to experiment with my first NVidia driver downgrade, from 370.28 to 367.44, & will re-select OpenGL 2.0, then will reboot. Watch this space...

(8th October 2016, 19:30)rocky7x Wrote: Heh, never piss off karma Wink it will always get back on you Wink 

Very wise words, thanks rocky7x

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - spacepenguin - 9th October 2016

What kind of Nividia card do you use, kdemeoz?

(9th October 2016, 4:51)spacepenguin Wrote: What kind of Nividia card do you use, kdemeoz?

Hi SP

It's certainly nothing particularly special, i think:

snip -Z97-HD3:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: snip-Z97-HD3 Kernel: 4.4.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
          Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.0 (Qt 5.7.0) Distro: Ubuntu 1 xenial
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z97-HD3 v: x.x Bios: American Megatrends v: F7 date: 12/08/2014
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4790 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
          flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 28801
          clock speeds: max: 4000 MHz 1: 3848 MHz 2: 3904 MHz 3: 3933 MHz 4: 3848 MHz 5: 3953 MHz 6: 3931 MHz
          7: 3957 MHz 8: 3969 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
          Card-2: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 610] bus-ID: 01:00.0
          Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
          Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
          GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 610/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 367.44 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1

Pls also see my earlier embedded picture.

PS -- BTW, it's now 6 hrs since i re-enabled OpenGL 2.0 compositing & downgraded the NVidia driver to 367.44. Even though 6 hrs is "nothing", so far there's been NO more KWin crashes... woohoo [now, having just been so rash, i'm sure that karma is just about ready to jump on me again].