Maui Forums
[Workaround] - Dropbox and pidgin systray icons missing (5.8.3) - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: [Workaround] - Dropbox and pidgin systray icons missing (5.8.3) (/showthread.php?tid=24149)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Dropbox and pidgin systray icons missing (5.8.3) - rocky7x - 6th December 2016

OK, I tried it with my home laptop, I completely removed Dropbox and restarted, but xembedsniproxy failed to start. This is the error from ~/.xsession-errors:

Code:
ksmserver: Starting autostart service  "/etc/xdg/autostart/xembedsniproxy.desktop"
ksmserver: autostart service "xembedsniproxy" finished with exit code  11

So apparently it is crashing during startup with that segfault from syslog, but I have the work laptop similarly setup, and there it works fine. This started happening just recently. The thing is that when I start it manually after login, it runs OK. What can be the reason for the autostart to fail?

RE: Dropbox and pidgin systray icons missing (5.8.3) - AJSlye - 6th December 2016

Hmm, could you give me the output of:
Code:
journalctl -b /usr/bin/ksmserver

Might be a similar bug to this:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=369350

RE: Dropbox and pidgin systray icons missing (5.8.3) - rocky7x - 6th December 2016

Unfortunately it's no entries for that command. I noticed that it started happening on 25. November, but I upgraded to 5.8.3 on 28th, so it's definitely not upgrade related. It might have happened that my battery died on 25th but that's all - no updates installed on that day.

Is there any config file or some temp file that could influence the start up? How come I can start it up manually, but with autostart it fails? Is the command different?

RE: Dropbox and pidgin systray icons missing (5.8.3) - AJSlye - 6th December 2016

When you say your battery died, do you mean the laptop shut off while it was running?
That shouldn't make a difference since the fsck should run at start up and fix most issues.

RE: Dropbox and pidgin systray icons missing (5.8.3) - leszek - 6th December 2016

Running fsck manually might help.
It does not always auto fixes everything on startup.
So manually executing fsck on that partition (if it's the root one please use a live system) could help.

(6th December 2016, 22:29)AJSlye Wrote: When you say your battery died, do you mean the laptop shut off while it was running?
That shouldn't make a difference since  the fsck should run at start up and fix most issues.

It "shut off" while it was in sleep, battery died during sleep.. since I have SSD disk, this happens more often since it eats up cca. 20% of battery during sleep for a night.. but that's another thing...

RE: Dropbox and pidgin systray icons missing (5.8.3) - rocky7x - 7th December 2016

(6th December 2016, 22:32)leszek Wrote: Running fsck manually might help.
It does not always auto fixes everything on startup.
So manually executing fsck on that partition (if it's the root one please use a live system) could help.
I will try fsck from a live system, will see what it does, maybe indeed there are some problems left from the sleep crash...

RE: Dropbox and pidgin systray icons missing (5.8.3) - rocky7x - 7th December 2016

I tried running fsck, but the filesystem was without any problems, it ended clean. The issue is still present..

RE: Dropbox and pidgin systray icons missing (5.8.3) - rocky7x - 12th December 2016

I have finally found the rootcause of this. It was the modesetting driver. When I reverted back to the intel driver, the xembedsniproxy starts OK at startup again. So I guess modesetting is not ready for prime time yet. I've also noticed various glitches with modesetting in plasma, especially with turned on Informational tips, with window thumbnails on taskbar - they are sometimes corrupt.

RE: Dropbox and pidgin systray icons missing (5.8.3) - leszek - 12th December 2016

Glad that you found the cause. Very interesting.