Maui Forums
Sound Card - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+--- Thread: Sound Card (/showthread.php?tid=24306)

Sound Card - Sigurd - 6th March 2017

Hi,
I am thinking in installing an internal sound card. I still have a small and a big PCIe port on the motherboard free. Right now I am using the on-board-sound of the motherboard. But I like to listen to music. Usually I am using headphones "Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro" and I would like to improve the sound. I am not a gamer. I do not need 5.1 or 7.1 sound or Dolby surround sound. I only need a very good stereo sound for my headphones.
When I look around for sound cards I often can read that they are for Windows 10 or so, some are for Apple OS too. What is with the sound card driver under Maui Linux? Can I use any sound card? And what sound card would you recommend for only a good stereo sound that is not so expensive?
Kind regards,
Sigurd

RE: Sound Card - fanisatt - 6th March 2017

Hi
If your internal sound-card supports High Definition Audio and AC '97 audio there is no need for something else (according to your demands you report above).
There are a lot of good sound cards out there and you can easily find a linux compatible one !
But , this equipment is rather expensive and sometimes really very expensive because, it is intended for users who want to make music with it.
I am a music maker too and I use a good (extra) sound card for this purpose !
Unfortunately I bought it 7-8 years ago , when I was a windows xp user and I use it exclusively with win xp. It is not Linux compatible.
Anyway , the point here is that , when I make music I really need the expensive card !!!
When I simply listen to the music ... I don't need it at all !!
There is not any quality difference to my ears between my internal Intel sound card and the extra pro one ....
Best Regards !

RE: Sound Card - Sigurd - 7th March 2017

Hi fanisatt,
I guess as a music maker you know what you are talking about. So I will trust you words and go on using the the on-board sound card of my motherboard (ASRock 970M Pro3). Thank you very much for your advice.
Kind regards,
Sigurd

RE: Sound Card - kdemeoz - 8th March 2017

Hi both Sigurd & fanisatt

In the context of my current problem https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24307&pid=41987#pid41987, can you pls advise me:   do you find the speaker volume available from your respective onboard / integrated sound-cards to be acceptably loud enough?

RE: Sound Card - fanisatt - 8th March 2017

@ Sigurd
You are welcome my friend !

RE: Sound Card - fanisatt - 8th March 2017

@ kdemeoz

I can surely tell you that an integrated sound card can give the same sound volume as any other expensive and extra sound card !
The differences are usually focus on other "things"....
Best regards !

RE: Sound Card - kdemeoz - 9th March 2017

(8th March 2017, 19:50)fanisatt Wrote: @ kdemeoz

I can surely tell you that an integrated sound card can give the same sound volume as any other expensive and extra sound card !
Best regards !

Great news -- many thanks!  Smile

RE: Sound Card - fanisatt - 9th March 2017

(9th March 2017, 0:57)kdemeoz Wrote:
(8th March 2017, 19:50)fanisatt Wrote: @ kdemeoz

Best regards !

Great news -- many thanks!  Smile

You are welcome my friend !

RE: Sound Card - Sigurd - 22nd March 2017

Hi,
after I read two test reports about the small sound card ASUS Xonar DGX I was convinced that it would bring an improvement of sound quality. So I bought the card and installed it. Maui 17.03 instantly recognized the card. You are right. The sound volume did not increase. But the sound now is fuller, warmer but still very detailed. And the light bass emphasis of my headphones Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro sounds better. But it is not too much or unnatural. I like that bass emphasis.
If you simple want to improve your stereo sound this sound card is working fine for low costs. It is an entire size better than the on-board sound.
Kind regards,
Sigurd