Maui Forums

Full Version: Ubuntu 16.04.2 HWE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All,

Just wanted to let everyone know how installation of Ubuntu 16.04.2 HWE goes when issuing command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04

During install it says that package maui-desktop depends on xserver-xorg (which is replaced by xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04), so it would be good to update the dependency of package maui-desktop. But after the installation is finished, the package maui-desktop is not broken, so it seems to be OK.

Kernel module of ndiswrapper is not buildable with kernel 4.8 because we are still at version 1.59 - we need version 1.60 from Debian in order to be able to build it, so all folks who use ndiswrapper for wi-fi SHOULD NOT install the HWE until ndiswrapper is upgraded.

Bumblebee from the bumblebee testing ppa is broken after installation of HWE, so I've downgraded it (together with bumblebee-nvidia and all primus packages) to the standard Ubuntu versions and switching to the Nvidia card works without problems. The only thing is, that during the downgrade I've kept all config files from the testing version (the ones it prompts from /etc/bumblebee). Also all virtualgl packages can be safely removed (they are in local section in synaptic after removing the Bumblebee testing ppa).

I'm using the modesetting driver instead of the intel one, so package xserver-xorg-video-intel-hwe-16.04 was not installed during the HWE installation - all that use the modesetting driver should ensure that it is not installed, or remove it after the HWE installation.

And that's it - after reboot all works fine.
Thanks for your report.

Quote:During install it says that package maui-desktop depends on xserver-xorg (which is replaced by xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04), so it would be good to update the dependency of package maui-desktop. But after the installation is finished, the package maui-desktop is not broken, so it seems to be OK.
The xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04 package should provide xserver-xorg and this would mean the maui-desktop package should not be removed.
Yes, that's true, it wasn't removed during the HWE installation, nor broken afterwards, I just saw the message in the dpkg log, so thought it might be interesting... Anyway, all is OK and you probably don't have to do anything with the maui-desktop. Just that if someone does it via Synaptic, it will flush all Maui related packages into autoremovable section, so one needs to be cautious not to remove them afterwards, but to restart Synaptic.
"installation of Ubuntu 16.04.2 HWE" --> sorry to be so pedestrian, but am i correct in assuming this isn't relevant/applicable to plebs like me who merely use the default Maui sources, + the Neon & Ubuntu Backports:
http://ds9-maui.s3-website.eu-central-1....-backports xenial main
http://ds9-maui.s3-website.eu-central-1....ports-neon xenial main

?
It should appear in the ubuntu repos (xenial-updates) which is enabled by default in Maui.
For you it does not make much sense as you already installed a newer 4.9.9 vanilla kernel at least on one of your Maui machines (the one with the CPU Lockups)
(20th February 2017, 11:43)kdemeoz Wrote: [ -> ]"installation of Ubuntu 16.04.2 HWE" --> sorry to be so pedestrian, but am i correct in assuming this isn't relevant/applicable to plebs like me who merely use the default Maui sources, + the Neon & Ubuntu Backports:
http://ds9-maui.s3-website.eu-central-1....-backports xenial main
http://ds9-maui.s3-website.eu-central-1....ports-neon xenial main

?

Ubuntu 16.04.2 HWE is the standard Ubuntu way of upgrading the kernel and graphics stack to the newest supported version - it should be the safest and most tested way Smile Your kernel, mesa and X server packages will have hwe-16.04 in their names. Kernel is 4.8, mesa is 12.6 and X server is 18.4. Once you hop on this rolling update train, you will always have the latest tested kernel and graphics stack from Ubuntu (they changed the HWE approach to rolling update as described here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack ). So it is applicable to ALL Ubuntu derivatives, inluding both Neon and Maui. That is one of the main "selling points" of Ubuntu LTS, reason why Neon and Maui are based on it Wink
Thank you both. OK, i phrased my question very badly, so i'll try to do better now. Is there anything special i need to do to "get" this... my assumption is "no, it'll simply come to me via Update Manager once ready"?

Furthermore, as correctly pointed out, my Tower now has kernel 4.9.9, so am i correct in assuming that on this box, once the updates flow down to me, even though kernel 4.8.x will be installed, my active kernel will continue to be 4.9.9?
PS:   Update Manager right now is offering me this incremental kernel update [Tower].
[attachment=1180]

Even though it didn't fix the freeze pain per separate thread, i'm still happy to retain 4.9.9, so is it reasonable & safe for me to tell Tower's Update Manager to ignore this "older" kernel?
Quote:Is there anything special i need to do to "get" this... my assumption is "no, it'll simply come to me via Update Manager once ready"?

Like said in the initial post you need to install it manually if you want it.
It won't come as normal update. Its an "opt-in" update.

Quote:Even though it didn't fix the freeze pain per separate thread, i'm still happy to retain 4.9.9, so is it reasonable & safe for me to tell Tower's Update Manager to ignore this "older" kernel?
You can ignore it. Though it will nag (or show the updates) everytime a new update is available and you have the default kernel installed still.
I think i'm going to have to sleep on this & read it all again tomorrow to try to understand... coz at the moment i do not understand [there seems to be basic contradictions]. MY attraction to Maui, instead of staying with Mint, was (i thought] that for x years the Ubuntu base would be "stable" at 16.04* LTS, whereas Plasma was not LTS but Rolling [as evidenced by the several Plasma upgrades i've received, via the enabled Backports]. But Rocky described a "rolling update train" ... i just can't grasp this concept; how can it [the Ubuntu base] be simultaneously LTS and Rolling?

* Maybe i'm wrong, but my interpretation/assumption of this meaning was that my system would remain 16.04.x & not become [eg] 16.10, 17.04 etc, BUT that the "x" meant my system would [via repos & Update Manager] still receive "point releases", eg, 16.04.1, 16.04.2, etc [without me having to do anything special]. However the info in this thread seems to overturn all or most of what i'd thought applicable to my Maui, given it seems that i will need to make active decisions about whether i do or don't want the point releases, & if i do, then i have to manually invoke them. This is not what i'd expected. 
Pages: 1 2