Maui Forums

Full Version: Saving from Firefox - problems with image, PDF, and video files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We tried reproducing the issue but could not.
Can you give us an example link to where it fails downloading images or saving pdf files.

Also how are you downloading those files ? By right clicking save link as or do you open the pdf in the internal viewer and then hit save or use save image as with opened image ?
(15th March 2017, 1:34)Zelator57 Wrote: [ -> ]
(13th March 2017, 21:23)rocky7x Wrote: [ -> ]To further troubleshoot this issue I would say install the vanilla Ubuntu Firefox, instead of the plazmazilla one and see if the problems are there as well. If not then the issue is in the plasma modifications. To install the vanilla Ubuntu Firefox version, go to Synaptic, find the Firefox package, hit CTRL+E and select the Ubuntu version of it.
I installed the 45.0.2 version, which seems to have fixed the download problem. Synaptic then wanted to install the plasma version, so I stopped it.

To have the latest Ubuntu vanilla version, pick the xenial-updates version in Synaptic, the one that has version 52.0..... If that works as well, then try to install the plasmazilla version again and check if it works. If not, then please try to create a new profile and try it with the new profile.
(16th March 2017, 14:30)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]We tried reproducing the issue but could not.
Can you give us an example link to where it fails downloading images or saving pdf files.

Also how are you downloading those files ? By right clicking save link as or do you open the pdf in the internal viewer and then hit save or use save image as with opened image ?

Now that I have the alternate version of Firefox I can't reproduce either. There were a lot of videos I needed for a presentation that I had to download by letting Video DownloadHelper put it where it wanted it, or via Ant, that Video DownloadHelper would fail to download if I specified destination. One such was
Phoenician - Cape of Good Hope – YouTube.mp4 https://youtu.be/njrvfv9M_Wg

At one point the download info arrow stopped working, though the Tools menu item still did. The "open containing folder" option either did nothing or Dolphin claimed it couldn't find it. Ant claimed the folder didn't exist, though I found the file in the Ant download folder. There was a similar problem with images. The download history for these files still can't find them, eg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c...eme-en.svg

PDFs I opened via the Firefox preview dialog with Okular and saved from there, otherwise nothing happened. Images, again lots of them, would not - "right click/save image as" - so I copied them and pasted into Gimp or direct into a .odt. I can now "save as", although the filename seems always to be serveimage.jpeg. Which I'm sure used not be the case.

There is also an ongoing problem, in a separate post, with the filenames of attachments in Kmail - https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24292
Also maybe irrelevant.
I been working around the issue with firefox, by NOT having the option set for "Always ask you where to save files"
I just move files around after downloading if I need to.

But I did notice today that I could not select a file to upload to my insurance website. I select the file hit "open" ....and nothing happens. Even tried the keyboards controls, vice mouse. I've installed Chromium and that worked to upload the file.
Cheers.
So is the issue still present with the newest firefox-plasma versions from the plasmazilla ppa?
(26th April 2017, 9:59)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]So is the issue still present with the newest firefox-plasma versions from the plasmazilla ppa?

I have yet to update to 17.03, and my Firefox is locked at 53.0, which works. I'm looking at the upgrade process, I'll let you know when I've done it, which may be a while as I have work to complete.
We provide Firefox 53 in the plasmazilla ppa. There is no need to upgrade to 17.03 (which is the same as activating maui backport repos) as it would not change the firefox behavior.
(26th April 2017, 9:59)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]So is the issue still present with the newest firefox-plasma versions from the plasmazilla ppa?

I think so;   (I haven't done anything on my own, other than stay up to date.)
I'm on v53.0.  See screenshots from Synaptic.
Cheers
(26th April 2017, 10:35)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]We provide Firefox 53 in the plasmazilla ppa. There is no need to upgrade to 17.03 (which is the same as activating maui backport repos) as it would not change the firefox behavior.

I unpinned Firefox and updated - back to square one.
I was having the very same issue but I cannot reproduce it right now. Extremely weird.
Pages: 1 2 3