Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] - Tower's 1st [no, 3rd] Hard-Reset since clean-reinstall.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
After installing that pgm on both PCs i ran this on Lappy:
Code:
XPS-L501X:~$ ssh kdemeoz@192.168.1.100
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.100 port 22: Connection timed out

where that IP address came from running ifconfig on Tower & reading its enp2so "inet addr".

BTW, Tower connects to my modem-router over ethernet cable, whilst Lappy connects to M/R via WiFi. 

I guess i made an error, but i really don't know what i'm doing. I mean, how is this connection possible so easily (if it had worked); what stops the whole world breaking in now?
Pinging each other's IP is successful, so it must be the ssh procedure that i got wrong.
Quote:when it comes to Xorg.0.log only the E: are interesting as they indicate errors (mostly at the end of the file)

The file contains LOTS of error lines [beginning with "(EE)"], for the modules i listed before, + others. Right down almost at the bottom of the file it has this ominous text:
Code:
Fatal server error
[     826.186] (EE) no screens found(EE)
Yeah that is not useful. Is there any error message that tells about Error loading module or something like that with nouveau or intel in the name ?
Can't you just copy the whole EE lines from the file with ssh and paste them here ?
This is why I hate these kinds of main boards.
A: the internal GPU must be turned on.
B: It must also be set as first display (primary) for this to work.

Otherwise the mainboard will continually look for a non existent card in the PCIEX16 (first display default) slot.

I hate to suggest this, but you may need to put back in the nvidia card, at least long enough to change your UEFI settings.
(1st March 2017, 16:29)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah that is not useful. Is there any error message that tells about Error loading module or something like that with nouveau or intel in the name ?
Can't you just copy the whole EE lines from the file with ssh and paste them here ?

Yes there's LOTS of those errors.
No i can't use ssh -- have you seen my several posts above? I can ping, but i cannot connect [times out]... but i have never used ssh before tonight, & clearly have no idea what i'm doing. 

I just tried an alternative; i inserted a usb stick in one of Tower's ports, confirmed it is detected per sudo blkid, then tried to copy the file from tty [did not work]:
Code:
cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /dev/sdc1/
(1st March 2017, 16:30)AJSlye Wrote: [ -> ]This is why I hate these kinds of main boards.
A: the internal GPU must be turned on.
B: It must also be set as first display (primary) for this to work.

Otherwise the mainboard will continually look for a non existent card in the PCIEX16 (first display default) slot.

...but, but, but... Back up above, in my post https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread....0#pid41870 , near the end of it, i wrote:
Quote:I decided to try booting into BIOS & changing from the default to the integrated intel gpu as the first screen [& i only have one screen], then rebooting. 

Doesn't that mean the Intel gpu should now be active (it already was turned on in BIOS, & per my quote i specifically changed from the default PCI to the 1st option; integrated gpu, for the first screen]?

(1st March 2017, 16:30)AJSlye Wrote: [ -> ]... you may need to put back in the nvidia card, at least long enough to change your UEFI settings.

Well, if i do do this, again as per my earlier linked post described, won't all the same problems mentioned there just repeat? Happy to do it if needed, but confused why the outcome will differ to what i already documented.
Oh thank goodness, i finally worked out how to copy the log file off Tower to USB stick, then move to Lappy & post here now.
[attachment=1202]

It's now 02:25 for me; i need sleep. I'm so sorry to be taking so much of your time, but sincerely hope that whilst i sleep one of you would have time to review the log file & hopefully see the cause of the problem, & make suggestions for me to work on tomorrow. Many thanks.
So you can boot this machine via the USB live media an get a display (GUI), but not on the installed system?
Then this is definitely not a UEFI issue, but a driver issue. I will look at your log file and see if I can find the issue.
NOTE: You may need to fix this from the Live media using a chroot.
Looks like you don't have the xorg intel driver installed, and it's trying to load the modesetting driver, but failing miserably.
Make sure you remove the /etc/xorg.conf file if it exists, and/or anything modesetting, intel, nvidia or nouveau from under /etc/xorg.conf.d/.
Also make sure to install the xorg Intel driver before rebooting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16