Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] - Tower's 1st [no, 3rd] Hard-Reset since clean-reinstall.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Yeah I would try installing the xserver-xorg-video-intel package. (I remember slightly that we removed that anyways as you have a newer intel processor which does not work flawlessly with the intel driver)

Though somehow it does seem to try loading the nouveau module for a card that isn't there anymore.
So please check again in the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d folder. If you don't know zip it up and upload it so we can check.

@AjSlye: We discussed /etc/X11/xorg.conf before and debian/ubuntu uses /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d by default (there is no /etc/xorg.conf.d folder)
Oh yea, I keep forgetting Ubuntu/Debian does things differently.
I'm used to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d for default configuration files, and /etc/X11/xorg.conf for system-specific configurations.
Man, I run way too many different systems. LOL
Thank you both for your replies. My updates:

1. For now at least, i have kept the Nvidia GT610 gpu OUT of the Tower, ie, the only gpu available is still the integrated Intel.

2. Unlike all last night, this morning from a cold boot there was no *initial* black screen; the monitor immediately received the HDMI signal from Tower right from my press of the Tower power button, so i saw the BIOS SSD/HDD unlock prompt & could enter my password without typing blind [like yesterday arvo & night]; i could then successfully enter BIOS*; I could see the Maui grub menu; & it did show me the 1st splash-screen.

3. That might sound basic, but perversely it's a slight improvement; for several hours last night there was no HDMI signal to the monitor.

4. Consistent with the ongoing fault, after the 1st splash-screen there was only the black screen with flashing cursor, again today.

5. I toggled to TTY, then installed the xserver-xorg-video-intel package as recommended, then rebooted. Sadly it made no improvement; still a black screen after the 1st splash-screen. Is there some way i can verify that this package really was fully/properly installed, & is fully-operational?

6. * In BIOS i returned to the "Peripherals" tab to double-check my recent settings change, & i confirmed they are still in place, ie:
     (a) Initial Display Output = IGFX [which i assume is the integrated Intel gpu]
     (b) Intel Processor Graphics = Enabled
     [c) Intel Processor Graphics Memory Allocation = 512 MB

7. Rebooted into another post-splashscreen black screen, then toggled into TTY, opened /var/log/Xorg.0.log again, read thru it. Sadly it has continued trying & failing to load Nvidia & Nouveau modules [WHY?], & also Intel modules [WHY did the Intel package i've just installed not fix this?].  UPDATE:  Oh! I've just realised; this file is IDENTICAL to yesterday's one, it has not updated with today's boot [even its date- & time-stamp are identical]. Is that normal? Surely this log file should be kept up to date? Though it is identical, i have attached it here for you to check & agree for yourselves.
[attachment=1203]

8. I checked again in the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d folder. Same as last night, there is only a single file here; 10-quirks.conf .  I read it in nano, & it is irrelevant to this problem.

9. I checked again in the /etc/X11 folder. Same as last night, there is NO xorg.conf file here.

10. i ran inxi -Fxz again, & it CONTINUES to show for driver, "FAILED: nouveau". Grrrr.

11. AJ said:

Quote:So you can boot this machine via the USB live media an get a display (GUI)

I previously said nothing about this so i don't know why you decided that. In fact, though i did not report it here yesterday, one of the things i had tried was to boot with Live USB, but yesterday it did not work, in that there was constantly no HDMI signal, hence screen stayed black. HOWEVER today, it boots perfectly happily from Live USB, & gives me a normal-looking Maui desktop. From here i can access my Tower's root partition.

12. AJ said:

Quote:You may need to fix this from the Live media using a chroot.

Given i now can boot from Live USB, then yes i suppose i could do this, BUT... i have no idea at all what to do for the fix... can you pls tell me what steps to perform?

Thanks.
(2nd March 2017, 14:56)AJSlye Wrote: [ -> ]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot
https://wiki.debian.org/chroot
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebootstrapChroot
http://superuser.com/questions/111152/wh...stallation

Holy cow. Thank you, i think. I looked at each of your links & now my head has exploded. They spoke about concepts i'm struggling to grasp, & used jargon that's almost like another language [so the combination of both is that i don't yet comprehend what specific steps i have to do]. I have so many questions that i hardly know where to begin, but here's three for starters:
1. How is this related to my Tower somehow refusing to play ball with its graphics drivers, & how does this fix it? I thought you & leszek thought this was a graphics driver issue?
2. This catastrophe occurred just before i would have been doing my routine weekly data backup [of /home & /DATA; both eCryptFS-encrypted, hence unusable to me from the Live media], hence i'm feeling very vulnerable that i'm about to potentially lose my last week's changes. Will this strange chroot process cause data loss, either directly or else by deleting/altering the current encryption key & so stopping me decrypting?
3. What the fook happened to cause such a monumental catastrophe (i know that's rhetorical & you can't answer it, but geez this situation is terrible].

What a nightmare.
OK fist, I'm not 100% sure the issue is graphics driver related, especially if your not getting a display before the OS even boots (aka. can't get into the UEFI/BIOS, no system posting graphics).

I didn't realize you had encrypted your drive/partition. This could also cause issues if the system doesn't or can't decrypt prior to needing access. However, you wouldn't need access to /home or /DATA to fix system issues, you only need to be able to chroot (change root) the systems. This means mounting and having access to /, /etc, /usr, and so on from the installed system instead of the live environment. Since only the base of the system changes, there is no need to access your personal data.
(2nd March 2017, 17:21)AJSlye Wrote: [ -> ]OK fist, I'm not 100% sure the issue is graphics driver related, especially if your not getting a display before the OS even boots (aka. can't get into the UEFI/BIOS, no system posting graphics).

I'm sorry, but that is incorrect. I specifically wrote the opposite, two [of my] replies ago:

Quote:2. Unlike all last night, this morning from a cold boot there was no *initial* black screen; the monitor immediately received the HDMI signal from Tower right from my press of the Tower power button, so i saw the BIOS SSD/HDD unlock prompt & could enter my password without typing blind [like yesterday arvo & night]; i could then successfully enter BIOS*; I could see the Maui grub menu; & it did show me the 1st splash-screen.

It is true that prior to that note of mine, there was no signal to the monitor all thru' the bootup stages, but the major improvement occurred from the time of the first cold boot [all previous troubleshooting attempts had involved hot reboots].

Therefore, does this clarification now alter your view that "I'm not 100% sure the issue is graphics driver related"? Ie, do any alternative corrective action possibilities now arise, or do you still feel that the chroot process is the necessary next step? (I'm only asking because the chroot process continues to confuse & scare me, so if there's other things i can first try, i'd be happy to do so].

(2nd March 2017, 17:21)AJSlye Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't realize you had encrypted your drive/partition. This could also cause issues if the system doesn't or can't decrypt prior to needing access. However, you wouldn't need access to /home or /DATA to fix system issues, you only need to be able to chroot (change root) the systems. This means mounting and having access to /, /etc, /usr, and so on from the installed system instead of the live environment. Since only the base of the system changes, there is no need to access your personal data.

Thank you; your reassurance gratifies me. That said [& sorry, i know i keep moaning], i still feel so anxious about chroot [= still do not yet understand exactly what i need to do, & also if it will actually fix my Tower], that i chose to take a temporary detour today. It took all day, doing the research & testing multiple suggestions [most failed], & then after eventual success doing the file copying. I am massively relieved to report that i have been able now to access my Maui's encrypted /home & /DATA partitions, using a LiveUSB*, mount them to the Live system, & then decrypt them. Yay - phew!! So now i have all my latest data since my previous formal backup, safely copied to USB sticks... just in case i stuff up the chroot, or it doesn't work. 

* In case any reader is interested, the successful data recovery method was as per section "For live cd/usb" at http://askubuntu.com/questions/38336/how...tory#39776 .  Please note however: this method failed with both my Maui 1 & Maui 2 LiveUSBs, but it worked beautifully with my Mint 17.2 KDE LiveUSB. Yay.

Tomorrow i shall intensively study chroot via your links, & my own research. Hopefully it will eventually make sense to me, so that i can attempt to do it [unless, per above, you now consider there's still other things i can try?]. Knowing that my data is all now safe, i will be able to attack chroot, or Timeshift**, or even a full Maui reinstallation, feeling a lot more "relaxed" now that i know i won't lose my data. 

** Following Pliny's positive remarks at https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread....7#pid41427 , I installed Timeshift back on 9Feb & initiated weekly root backups. The last of these occurred 23Feb 21:00, which places it in-between Posts 85 & 86 of this topic... ie, after i'd removed kernel 4.9.9, but before the HWE upgrade, & still with the Nvidia GT610 gpu installed. So, maybe, if the chroot fails [or if i never can understand how to do it], i could try to recover my root structure from that last TS snapshot, then shutdown, then reinsert the Nvidia gpu, then reboot...?
I've now carefully re-read your links, + done more of my own research. Conceptually chroot still scares me a bit, but it seems a little less incomprehensible now.

This Wikipedia extract was encouraging:
Quote:Recovery
Should a system be rendered unbootable, a chroot can be used to move back into the damaged environment after bootstrapping from an alternate root file system (such as from installation media, or a Live CD).

Possible Procedure for me ??? TBC:
<<< for my Tower, boot is /sda1, & root is /sda5; per sudo fdisk -l >>>
Code:
cd /
sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sda1 /mnt # Or should it be "extended" not "ext4"?
sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
sudo mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev

Move into the mounted filesystem:
Code:
sudo chroot /mnt /bin/bash

Do my "dirty work":
"At this point, you can perform whatever troubleshooting you need to do:
 -- resintall GRUB to your disk's MBR
 -- reset a forgotten password
 -- perform a kernel upgrade (or downgrade)
 -- rebuild your initramdisk
 -- fix your /etc/fstab
 -- reinstall packages using your package manager
 -- whatever"
--> So, WHAT EXACTLY should i do here; maybe do the installation of the xserver-xorg-video-intel package, again? Other stuff?

Exit the chroot:
Code:
exit

Unmount all the partitions i mounted:
Code:
sudo umount /mnt/boot
sudo umount /mnt/{proc,sys,dev}

Unmount my SSD:
Code:
sudo umount /mnt

Finally:
Code:
reboot
I tried the chroot process tonight. No good. Tower has not improved. Maybe i did the chroot wrongly, or maybe whatever decided to go so badly wrong is beyond repair?

For the record, here's what i did, & what happened:
Code:
maui@maui:~$ cd /
maui@maui:/$ sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
      missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
      dmesg | tail or so.
maui@maui:/$ sudo mount -t extended /dev/sda1 /mnt    
mount: unknown filesystem type 'extended'
maui@maui:/$ sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sda5 /mnt
maui@maui:/$ sudo mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
maui@maui:/$ sudo mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
maui@maui:/$ sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
maui@maui:/$ sudo chroot /mnt /bin/bash
root@maui:/# sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel                                  
sudo: unable to resolve host maui: Connection refused                                      
Reading package lists... Done  

Building dependency tree                                                                    
Reading state information... Done                                                          
xserver-xorg-video-intel is already the newest version (2:2.99.917+git20160325-1ubuntu1.2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
root@maui:/# sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-intel
sudo: unable to resolve host maui: Connection refused
Building dependency tree      

The following packages will be REMOVED:
 xserver-xorg-video-intel
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
After this operation, 3,251 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
E: Can not write log (Is /dev/pts mounted?) - posix_openpt (2: No such file or directory)
(Reading database ... 373263 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.99.917+git20160325-1ubuntu1.2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu5) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
root@maui:/# xserver-xorg-video-intel --version
xserver-xorg-video-intel: command not found
root@maui:/# exit
exit
maui@maui:/$ sudo cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
maui@maui:/$ sudo chroot /mnt /bin/bash                      

root@maui:/# sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel
sudo: unable to resolve host maui
Building dependency tree      

The following NEW packages will be installed:
 xserver-xorg-video-intel
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/717 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,251 kB of additional disk space will be used.
E: Can not write log (Is /dev/pts mounted?) - posix_openpt (2: No such file or directory)
Selecting previously unselected package xserver-xorg-video-intel.
(Reading database ... 373244 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../xserver-xorg-video-intel_2%3a2.99.917+git20160325-1ubuntu1.2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.99.917+git20160325-1ubuntu1.2) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
Setting up xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.99.917+git20160325-1ubuntu1.2) ...
root@maui:/# sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
sudo: unable to resolve host maui
Building dependency tree      
Note, selecting 'nvidia-325-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-346-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-driver-binary' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-331-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-304-updates-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-power-indicator' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-378-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-346-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-340-updates-uvm' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-331-updates-uvm' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-glx' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-cg-toolkit' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-340-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-370-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-driver' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-modprobe' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-texture-tools' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-legacy-340xx-vdpau-driver' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-349-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-kernel-686-pae' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-304-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-310-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-331-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-352-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-vdpau-driver' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-346-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-331-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-smi' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-361-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-313-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-334-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-331-uvm' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-prime' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-kernel-dkms' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-current-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-340-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-nsight' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-common' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-346-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-352-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-kernel-amd64' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-current-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-352-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-355-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-375-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-current' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-profiler' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-337-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-367-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-cuda-toolkit' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-340-updates-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-319-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-304-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-331-updates-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-visual-profiler' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-persistenced' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-current-updates-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-361-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-settings-binary' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-361-updates-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-304' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-331' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-340' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-346' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-352' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-361' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-367' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-370' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-375' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-378' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-kernel-486' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-352-updates-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-331-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-352-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-304-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-340-uvm' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-304-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-cuda-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-cuda-doc' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-340-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-361-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-cg-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-cg-doc' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-340-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-libopencl1-361-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-304' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-331' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-340' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-346' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-352' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-361' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-367' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-370' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-375' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd-378' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-cuda-gdb' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-304' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-310' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-313' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-319' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-325' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-331' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-334' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-337' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-340' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-343' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-346' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-349' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-352' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-355' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-experimental-304-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-343-updates' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-304' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-310' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-313' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-319' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-325' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-331' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-334' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-337' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-340' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-343' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-346' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-349' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-352' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-355' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-361' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-367' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-370' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-375' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-378' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-346-updates-dev' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-settings' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-opencl-icd' for glob 'nvidia-*'
Note, selecting 'nvidia-settings' instead of 'nvidia-settings-binary'
Package 'nvidia-vdpau-driver' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-legacy-340xx-vdpau-driver' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-driver' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-glx' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-kernel-dkms' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-kernel-amd64' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-kernel-686-pae' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-kernel-486' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-310' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-310-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-310' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-313' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-313-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-313' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-319' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-319-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-319' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-325' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-325-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-325' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-331' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-334' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-334-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-334' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-337' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-337-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-337' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-340' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-343' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-343-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-343' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-346' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-349' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-349-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-349' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-352' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-355' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-355-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-355' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-smi' is not installed, so not removed
Note, selecting 'libnvtt-bin' instead of 'nvidia-texture-tools'
Package 'nvidia-settings' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-current' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-current-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-304' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-304-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-304-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-304-updates-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-331' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-331-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-331-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-331-updates-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-331-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-331-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-331-updates-uvm' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-331' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-331' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-331-uvm' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-304' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-304' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-304-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-304-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-340' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-340-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-340' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-340' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-340-uvm' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-340-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-340-updates-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-340-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-340-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-361-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-361' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-361' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-361' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-367-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-367' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-367' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-367' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-370-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-370' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-370' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-370' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-375-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-375' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-375' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-375' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-378-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-378' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-378' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-378' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-power-indicator' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-prime' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-340-updates-uvm' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-346' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-346-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-346-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-346-updates-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-352' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-352-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-352-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-352-updates-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-361-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-361-updates-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-current-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-current-updates-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-304' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-experimental-304-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-cg-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-cg-doc' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-cg-toolkit' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-cuda-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-cuda-doc' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-cuda-gdb' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-cuda-toolkit' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-346' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-346-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-352' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-352-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-libopencl1-361-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-modprobe' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-nsight' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-dev' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-346' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-346-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-352' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-352-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-opencl-icd-361-updates' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-persistenced' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-profiler' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-visual-profiler' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'nvidia-common' is not installed, so not removed
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
 android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot artwork-audacious artwork-aurorae-maui artwork-color-scheme-carbon
 artwork-color-scheme-maui artwork-desktop-theme-maui artwork-grub-maui artwork-icons-maui
 artwork-lookandfeel-maui artwork-sddm-breeze-new artwork-sounds-maui artwork-wallpapers-maui-1
 artwork-whiteclassicia-cursor artwork-windows-cursor aurorae-theme-carbon aurorae-theme-forman
 aurorae-theme-gnome3 aurorae-theme-metrodark aurorae-theme-win7 carbon-gtk2 carbon-qt carbon-qt4 cdparanoia
 console-data default-settings-applications default-settings-autostart default-settings-kdeapps
 default-settings-plasma default-settings-profiled default-settings-thunderbird default-settings-xsession
 desktop-theme-blackx desktop-theme-bluex desktop-theme-eclipse desktop-theme-enlightenment
 desktop-theme-sevenified dvd+rw-tools ffmpegthumbnailer git git-man gmusicbrowser growisofs handbrake hddtemp
 imagewriter inxi k3b k3b-data kamoso kcm-about-extended kcm-plasma-services kontact kubuntu-driver-manager
 libdigest-crc-perl liberror-perl libglib-object-introspection-perl libgtk2-notify-perl libgtk2-trayicon-perl
 libintl-perl libjansson4 libqt5glib-2.0-0 libqt5gstreamer-1.0-0 libqt5gstreamerquick-1.0-0
 linux-generic-hwe-16.04 linux-headers-4.4.0-63 linux-headers-4.4.0-63-generic linux-headers-generic-hwe-16.04
 linux-image-4.4.0-63-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-63-generic linux-image-generic-hwe-16.04 lnf-theme-blackx
 lnf-theme-bluex maui-artwork maui-default-settings maui-plasma5-panels maui-settings-desktop
 maui-settings-desktop-readme maui-settings-firefox maui-settings-grub maui-settings-kcmabout maui-settings-sddm
 maui-settings-theming mint-common mintupdate python-configobj qml-module-qtgstreamer
 qml-modules-org-kde-purpose qtcurve-l10n qtgstreamer-plugins-qt5 screen-resolution-extra sddm-theme-maui
 simplemenu skanlite vcdimager wallpapers-extrapack-2 x11-apps x11-session-utils xinit xinput
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
root@maui:/# exit
exit
maui@maui:/$ sudo umount /mnt/{proc,sys,dev}
maui@maui:/$ sudo umount /mnt
maui@maui:/$ reboot

If nobody is able to make any suggestions for me to improve the chroot, or try anything else to get Tower to the login screen once more, then i assume i'll need to do a fresh reinstallation of Maui. Bummer... & still have no idea of root cause.

PS - Mods/Admins:   Is Maui 3 likely to be available in the very near future pls? If it were only a few days away then i'll wait for it before reinstalling [assuming nobody can help with chroot], but if it's still weeks+ away then i'll just install & upgrade from my existing ISO.

PPS - Will the next Calameres installer support /home encryption, or will i still need to download & use Ubiquity?
Just tried to get TeeJee's Timeshift to restore its 23Feb Snapshot [running TS from within Live session, which is one of its claims]. However, it fell over at the first hurdle:

Code:
"Error
Failed to mount devices"
Another step closer to new reinstallation, it appears.  :-(
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16