Maui Forums

Full Version: Upgrading to 17.03
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Concrete error messages would be helpful to diagnose were the problem is.
If you upgrade normally without removing sortinglaunchers it should be installed as plasma-desktop and plasma-desktop-data are the ones that actually display the desktop. So they are very important packages and should not be removed upon upgrade
I'm so glad that helped you.

Regards!
(16th March 2017, 10:21)wonder Wrote: [ -> ]Computer 3: Laptoop: Fresh install with Maui 2.1 and then, upgrade to 17.03. All fine, like kdemeoz, but I have a problem in upgrade: When in synaptic we need mark the packages plasma-desktop and plasma-destkop-data, I mark but I was don't available for reinstall, this option was are not available. When restart computer, the app dashboard launcher dissapear. I solved this with: Access to synpatic by konsole, select plasma-desktop and plasma-desktop-data, again, I can't available for reinstall, I uninstall this 2 packages, also, are uninstalled maui-desktop, then, I install maui-desktop (this install plasma-desktop and plasma-desktop-data), now, appears app dashboard launcher and all works fine.
Ditto on my tower.   The downside was installing maui-desktop also reinstalled a bunch of default un-needed applications I had uninstalled  (e.g. thunderbird, kde-pim, etc).   ...so I re-uninstalled.
Cheers
I upgraded from maui2 to 17.03 as per directives provided. Reinstalled plasma -desktop and plasma-desktop-data. But after reboot, when I logged in, there is no desktop ( panel,wallpaper, icons,etc). No right click of mouse, though preconfigured key board short cuts work and konsole, firefox, dolphin can be run with them.
Ran Synaptic through console, reinstalled 'plasma-desktop' and 'plasma-desktop-data',rebooted, but no difference.
By reading on forum, installed 'maui-desktop', it downloaded 2630 KB and got installed, but after reboot, the situation is the same, no desktop.
What should be done now?
There is only one user account on this system.
Can you try opening up a terminal and run plasmashell and see if it's working or if it gives any error message?
(19th March 2017, 10:02)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Can you try opening up a terminal and run plasmashell and see if it's working or if it gives any error message?

This is the output-
Quote:jagdeesh@jld-lap-maui2:~$ plasmashell

kf5.kcoreaddons.desktopparser: Could not locate service type file kservicetypes5/plasma-popupapplet.desktop, tried ("/home/jagdeesh/.local/share", "/usr/share/default-settings/plasma5-profile", "/usr/share/usr/share/xsessions/plasma", "/usr/local/share", "/usr/share", "/var/lib/snapd/desktop")
requesting unexisting screen 0
kf5.kcoreaddons.desktopparser: Could not locate service type file kservicetypes5/plasma-popupapplet.desktop, tried ("/home/jagdeesh/.local/share", "/usr/share/default-settings/plasma5-profile", "/usr/share/usr/share/xsessions/plasma", "/usr/local/share", "/usr/share", "/var/lib/snapd/desktop")
Notifications service registered
Trying to use rootObject before initialization is completed, whilst using setInitializationDelayed. Forcing completion
Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/plasmashell from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = plasmashell path = /usr/bin pid = 1975
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/plasmashell
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 8 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 9 and type 'Read', disabling...

[1]+  Stopped                 plasmashell
jagdeesh@jld-lap-maui2:~$

(19th March 2017, 10:13)Jag59 Wrote: [ -> ]
(19th March 2017, 10:02)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Can you try opening up a terminal and run plasmashell and see if it's working or if it gives any error message?

This is the output-

Quote:jagdeesh@jld-lap-maui2:~$ plasmashell

requesting unexisting screen 0
Notifications service registered
Trying to use rootObject before initialization is completed, whilst using setInitializationDelayed. Forcing completion
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/plasmashell from kdeinit
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = plasmashell path = /usr/bin pid = 1975
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/plasmashell
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 8 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 9 and type 'Read', disabling...

[1]+  Stopped                 plasmashell
jagdeesh@jld-lap-maui2:~$

If I re login 3 to 4 times, then I get the usual desktop.
I finally got around to upgrading my workstation to 17.03.  Everything seems to be working except System Settings -> About System

When I click on the About System, I get the following error:

Quote:The shared library was not found.
Possible reasons:
* An error occurred during your last KDE upgrade leaving an orphaned control module
* You have old third party modules lying around.

When I do an apt install kcm-about-extended, I get the following error:

Quote:The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kcm-about-extended : Depends: libkwinglutils9 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

If I try to install libkwinglutils9, I get the following message:

Quote:#  apt install libkwinglutils9
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
 android-tools-adb cdparanoia console-data dvd+rw-tools ffmpegthumbnailer gmusicbrowser growisofs handbrake hddtemp ieee-data imagewriter inxi k3b k3b-data
 kcm-plasma-services kde-telepathy-send-file kubuntu-driver-manager kwin-data libcln6 libdigest-crc-perl libdmtx0a libextutils-depends-perl
 libextutils-pkgconfig-perl libfakekey0 libffmpegthumbnailer4v5 libglade2-0 libglib-object-introspection-perl libgtk2-notify-perl libgtk2-trayicon-perl
 libibus-1.0-5 libkf5jsembed-data libkf5jsembed5 libkf5prison5 libkf5xmlrpcclient-data libkf5xmlrpcclient5 libkwineffects10 libkwinxrenderutils10
 libqalculate5-data libqalculate5v5 libqrencode3 libqt5glib-2.0-0 libqt5gstreamer-1.0-0 libqt5gstreamerquick-1.0-0 libscim8v5 libuv1 libxcb-cursor0
 libxcb-record0 mint-common mintupdate nodejs nodejs-legacy plasma-desktop-data python-configobj python-glade2 qml-module-org-kde-extensionplugin
 qml-module-org-kde-kwindowsystem qml-module-qtgstreamer qml-module-ubuntu-onlineaccounts qtdeclarative5-qtquick2-plugin qtgstreamer-plugins-qt5 sni-qt sshfs
 vcdimager
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
 kamoso kde-spectacle kdeconnect kinfocenter kwin kwin-addons kwin-common kwin-x11 libkf5purpose5 libkf5purposewidgets5 libkwin4-effect-builtins1
 libkwinglutils10 maui-desktop plasma-desktop plasma-widgets-addons plasma-workspace qml-module-org-kde-purpose qml-modules-org-kde-purpose sddm-theme-breeze
The following NEW packages will be installed:
 libkwinglutils9
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 19 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 76.7 kB of archives.
After this operation, 68.5 MB disk space will be freed.

Since that seems to be removing things that I may not want removed; hence, I aborted the operation.

I also saw on my system that libkwinglutils10 is installed.  In addition I saw a couple of threads related to an "About System" problem, but they didn't seem to match my experience.

I think something went haywire in the upgrade process.  I orignally started with Maui 1 and have been upgrading all along.

Is there a way to get my system properly upgraded to 17.03 from my current state without having to install 17.03 from scratch?
Like in the other threads try installing the newest version of about-kcm-extended from the backports repository. You need to force version when you upgraded from Maui 1 until now. You can do this with synaptic or by executing:
Code:
sudo apt-get install kcm-about-extended=0+p9+git20170201.0509-0

maui-xenial-backports repo must be active.
(4th April 2017, 22:30)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Like in the other threads try installing the newest version of about-kcm-extended from the backports repository. You need to force version when you upgraded from Maui 1 until now. You can do this with synaptic or by executing:

Code:
sudo apt-get install kcm-about-extended=0+p9+git20170201.0509-0

maui-xenial-backports repo must be active.

That fixed it thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6